In 1163 four Sannazzaro knights received by the Holy German-Roman Emperor Friedrich “Barbarossa” a decree in which they were confirmed in their privileges and properties and by which they acquired the right to build a castle wherever they wanted in their possessions.
Since then the castle has always been owned and lived by the Sannazzaro up to now.
In the 18th century it was transformed in a country house and in the 19th century partly restored according to the neo-gothic fashion.
It has hosted King Vittorio Emanuele II of Italy, Emperor Napoleon III in 1859, King Carlo Emanuele III in 1745, princes Gonzaga in 1600, princes Paleologo marquis of Monferrato in 1300 and 1400, plus famous artists, writers and music composers.>br /> It is surrounded by 19th century garden with imposing tress and bordered by a small river called Grana which was used to flood the moat in case of danger. A horse stable, a church (san Giacomo) a ghiacchiaia (ice house) and large barn where rice is grown and produced, are also part of the estate.
Via Roma, 5 - 15036 Giarole - ()
+39 0142 68124 - 347 2505519 - 335 1030923