Castel di Decima rises above the ancient roman consular road that leads to Naples. At the tenth (“Decimo” in italian, thus the place’s name) milestone stood a waystop to change horses.
The foundations of the citadel’s turret and of the church are composed of ancient walls, a vast network of underground passages and a roman swimming pool.
The Castle has been owned by a variety of famous figures. To name a few: in 1768 the owner was Cardinal Luigi Torrigiani, the Secretary of State of Pope Clement XIII, who carried out the latest reconstruction of the Castle. In 1914 it belonged to the Pallavicini family, and last in 1938 Count Romolo Vaselli acquired it and started restoration works throughout the estate, that were continued by his heirs.
The presence of the past, continually emphasized by numerous archeological findings preserved in the Castle, as well as a modern organization, make the Castel di Decima an extremely prestigious meeting place.
Via Clarice Tartufari, 81 - 00128 Roma - (RM)
+39 06 6991243 - +39 06 5081704 - +39 337 744517
http://www.giolitti.it/decima (85 click)