In a landscape of rare beauty, situated at the top of a cliff once lapped by the waves of the sea, the former monastery found a comfortable home. The architectural structure follows the profile of the rocky spur on which the bulk of the church, the convent and the cloister rests, with an expansive panoramic view of the coastline. Of the old church today, there remains the beautiful mullioned windows with spiral columns, a polylobate window and a large stone arch covered with fresco paintings of stylized spiral flowers and scrolls. The monastic complex was built in 1620. The site was acquired by the sisters in 1618 because the old convent in the Pinta site, became inadequate for the needs of the nuns, due to its small size and proximity to the private homes in the area. The Napoleonic conquest brought about the suppression of the convent. The furnishings were transported to the nearby church of S. Elia Profeta, while the property, put up for sale by the government, was acquired in 1812 by Carlo De Luca dei Marchesi di Lizzano. The new destination of the private residence produced numerous structural modifications, including the transformation of the church with its many mullioned windows and the construction of a stately staircase. The orchard, on the other hand, was transformed into a garden and its arches were closed. The palazzo conserves important works of art, including an Arabic funeral stele from the 11th century and a wooden statue from the 17th century depicting S.Chiara and various noble coats of arms in stone. Thanks to the dedicated and laborious restoration of 1988, the building today, known as Palazzo delle Clarisse, has regained its old convent atmosphere.
Via Indipendenza, 27 - 87032 Amantea - Cosenza (CS)
+39 0982 42033 - +39 333 2993471