Palazzo Lanza, in Capua, today in Caserta province, is the residence of the Lanza family, noble of the city from the XV century, since 1453, period from which the continuos and documentated genealogy begins; from then on, Palazzo Lanza has been managed according the right of primogeniture and that has ensured to preserve the property of the original owners until today; the construction, in 1697, of baroque balconies on the façade, hold up by shelves representing gargoyles is well documentated; the private oratory was built in 1731, with a brief from Pope Benedetto XIII (Orsini): here are kept some reliquaries, one containing the relics of S. Alfonso Maria de’ Liguoro, a relative of the Lanza family, who was a guest in 1753; in 1745, the Baron Carlo Lanza built the counter-façade and the set back corps of the building, with the inner terrace, reducing the garden bounding the court in the north; the restoration, done in 1807 from engineer Luigi Antonio Jannotta, redrew the whole façade according to a moderate neoclassical taste, even if the baroque balconies were preserved; a running balcony was added, a staircase leading to the main floor was redrew and the windows overlooking the courtyard were transformed in balconies; in 1877 some minor modernizations are proven with documents. The ballroom and the staterooms are decorated with late XVIII tempera. Palazzo Lanza was occupied in the January of 1799 from French soldiers who came to support the newborn Repubblica Napolitana; in the February 1806, Napoleon’s Generals were billeted in Palazzo Lanza where the Marshal of France, Louis Alexandre Berthier, was hosted in; from 1943 to 1945,finally, an officer’s club belonging to the British Allied Command was billeted.
Corso Gran Priorato di Malta, 25 - 81043 Capua - ()
+39 0823 961198 - +39 0823 961198 - +39 339 8499975
http://www.palazzolanza.it (40 click)