Today's Villa di Geggiano was originally a rural construction which most likely dated back to the beginning of the 14th century and was given to the Bianchi Bandinelli family as the dowry of Girolama Santi when she married Ranuccio Bandinelli Paparoni in 1527.
Its appearance today is the result of radical rebuilding carried out for the marriage of Anton Domenico Bianchi Bandinelli with Cecilia Chigi Zondadari, which took place in 1768.
The exceptional condition of the dwelling - the villa and the gardens -, including the perfectly kept, original 18th century treasure of furniture and decorations and the exceptional open air theatre (also used, in the last year of the 18th century, by Vittorio Alfieri to stage rehearsals of his tragedies), is due not only to the fact that it was a summer residence, but also to the effort and the example of the famous archeologist and ancient art historian Ranuccio Bianchi Bandinelli (1900 - 1975), who made it his main residence and wrote about his love for the place and its preservation in order to share these things with his descendants, who today live and work there.
In 1975 the villa and the gardens were declared a National Monument and, in 2000, was completed a major restoration project
Loc. Geggiano, 1 - 53019 Castelnuovo Berardenga - Siena (SI)
+39 (0)577 356 879 - +39 (0)577 357 075
http://www.villadigeggiano.com (50 click)