Badia San Sebastiano in Alatri, Italy to explore and discover
The dwelling is part of the unitary complex of buildings and courtyards located in Alatri, Badia and is formed by the following spaces and environments:
1) Garden adjoining the uncovered and fenced parking lot, having the surface, this garden, of approx. 1000 with two fountains of spring water coming from the nearby source of "Servidè", cultivated with fragrant flowers with natural hedges, wrought iron balustrade, stone and iron seats.
2) A multifunctional hall, 60 seating capacity, furnished with benches, painted organ of the '700, two large paintings with a sacred subject, a reproducing wooden sculpture Madonna with Child, a lacquered pulpit of the' 700, an ancient brother table with an altar function, a wrought iron chandelier that can be operated with the rope and anchored to the top of the triumphal arch.
The stained glass window, opposite the entrance door, takes light from the cloister. The baptismal font marks the beginning of the flight of stairs that leads to the First Floor
1) Loggiato covered with three round arches exposed to the east overlooking the cloister with the function of space "in plain air" for convivial meetings furnished with a long fratino table, benches, contemporary sculptures and large fragrant flower pots.
2) Four compartments to the loggia, with access from the latter, described as follows:
a) first compartment:
with north-facing window overlooking the Acropolis of Alatri, the Castle of Fumone and Campo Catino, large fireplace, stone walls furnished with large paintings of the 1600 / 1700 period, mainly of sacred art, a fratino table with overhanging sculpture marble of a sketch of the Christ deposed (published), two sofas, two consoles of the '700 with painted pumice floor depicting scenes of deer hunting, a sacristy piece of furniture used as a casket of incunabula, two spiral columns in oak wood carved with cherubs and floral motifs (arnolfiane).
b) Second compartment:
with window facing west and overlooking the garden, the Acropolis of Alatri and the Castle of Fumone, used as a study, with desk table of the early twentieth century (published on the Italian Touring Club), four bookshops with about 1000 texts in various languages , two sofa beds, each of a square, a sacristy furniture, a large contemporary installation (XMUMX x 6) in pine wood, depicting the profile of a Greek trireme, a wooden staircase for access to the installation, a collection of anthropomorphic ceramics from Seminara (RC); small room, type alcove, separated from the study, comprising only a double wrought iron double bed, below the installation level, with on the sides a small bathroom with shower on one side and a wardrobe on the other side.
c) Third compartment:
with three single-light windows exposed to the west, like the second room, furnished with a double canopy bed flanked by a toilet and shower compartment; two wrought iron single sofa beds, a living room sofa, a living room table, an open bookcase, a wooden staircase leading to the attic floor, a central column of Roman marble, height ml. 1,70 with Roman mosaic base and overlying neoclassical marble sculpture of a young woman's head.
d) Fourth compartment:
used as a kitchen, with hob, sink, fireplace, round table, bench, two tables for tableware, small cupboard for table linen. On the walls, copper furnishings for kitchen services.
Exit door for access to the loggia referred to in 1) and for the main exit towards the large staircase that leads from the first floor to the ground floor and the garden.
The History of Badia San Sebastiano
La Badia di San Sebastiano and of the Poor Sisters of Santa Chiara located in the Municipality of Alatri (FR), it was originally a small protocenobium built on the foundations of a Roman villa on the slopes of the Ernici Mountains.
The construction was carried out in the second half of the sixth century by the will of an illustrious Roman patric named Liberio belonging to the imperial court (whose mortal remains are still buried in a splendid sarcophagus in the famous Malatesta temple of Rimini) that owes its fame, as well as his own culture, to the fidelity with which, after the fall of the Roman Empire of Romulus by Romulus Augustulus, he continued to administer the imperial patrimony with wisdom and coherence, from the date of the ravennate epilogue to the invasion of Italy from part of the Ostrogoths of Odoacre and Theodorico. Among the important imperial offices, Liberio was appointed Prefect of Italy and immediately after Prefect of the Gauls. In Provence, in Arles, he met Cesario, an enlightened humanist bishop, who made him aware of the need to increase monastic vocations in a turbulent historical period. Liberio convinces the Deacon Servando belonging to the Roman papal court, a man flooded with doctrine from the heavenly grace (Gregorio Magno - Annales), to build a monastery on the slopes of the Ernici in the mountainous part close to the territory of the ancient city of Alatri.
Point of convergence of the "Way of the sacred places", Dotted with hermitages, in large natural caves, scattered in the valley of the hermits, inhabited by elected and stoic souls, inspired by God and inclined to the ascetic life, hidden in the eyes of the world.
When the building was completed in its original nucleus, Liberio returned to Italy, donating to the deacon Servando of the "Magistri Rule" he conceived on the basis of the "Regula ad Virgines" of Bishop Cesario, influenced in turn by the principles of Eastern ascetic life fixed by Pachomius and Basilio, diffused by Cassiano.
We are at the end of the year 500 which marks the beginning of the middle Ages
On the occasion of the journey undertaken by Benedetto da Norcia in 528, from the Sacro Speco of Subiaco to Montecassino, where in the 529 he founded the ancient Cenobio, he stops for a rest stop at the Abbey of Alatri and gratefully receives from Abbot Serving the text of the "Magistri Rule" which is the compendium of the thoughts of Pachomius matured in the burning light of the East and revised by Caesarius among the winding Provencal hills. This compendium in its central core is subsequently revisited, expanded and enriched by Benedict and transfused into the masterly Benedictine Rule, which will make Western monasticism the great spiritual reserve of the Church.
La Badia di Servando it is administered by the Benedictines up to the 1233 date of arrival of the Clarisse, coming from Assisi and from this date it takes the name of Badia di San Sebastiano and of the Sorelle Povere di Santa Chiara. This last order brings a breath of modernity into the cloistered walls: the new church is built on the ground floor decorated with a cycle of frescoes attributed to the circle of Pietro Cavallini still legible, the cloister is expanded, other rooms are built and the existing ones are made comfortable , the refectory, the chapter hall and the hall of the abbot.
In the 1441 to the Clarisse happen the Abbati Commendatari, not real abbots but figures of faith confessional also coming from the secular clergy as trustees of the heritage of abbey property, who take care of the administration and production of rustic funds employing workers and peasants (limited ) through open-ended contracts (real improvement contracts, that is, of today's emphyteusis).
The commendatory abbots concentrate mainly on reviving the cultural potential of the Badia. The passage of Cardinal Andrea Della Valle, as a commendatory abbot, leaves a strong mark in this sense.
In the 1450 Pope Niccolò V grants the humanist Giovanni Tortelli, head of the Vatican library, the faculty to establish a cultural cenacle at the Abbey that results in the compilation of "L'Ortographia", an important grammatical and lexical work that allows the first translations from Latin to Greek, in the 0ccidente.
After this shining period, the Badia undergoes a total decay, while remaining its own funds, productive of annuities which are devolved to the Church of S. Agnese in Agone in Piazza Navona in Rome, pertinence of the family of princes Doria Panphili (1654).
In the 1853 the prince Andrea Doria Panphili grants the heritage of the Abbey in emphyteusis to the illustrious Vienna family of Veroli.
In the 1908 the Vienna family grants the Badia's funds from every level and an emphyteutic canon and becomes its absolute owner according to the current civil law.
From the 1922 to the 1968 a part of the building and the courts of the Badia undergo a first transfer of ownership between private individuals.
From 2000 to today, the remaining part of the above funds is transferred between individuals.
At present the Badia is divided into two unequal parts: the first, of greater consistency and value, to the "Sir John Leslie Foundation", based in Ireland, and the second, where the historical dwelling in question is found, to the Foundation " L'Abbadia ", based in Alatri and with legal status recognized the 10 January 2002 n. 2 PA 502. This last Foundation, of which the Notary Carlo Fragomeni is Chairman, has as its object statute the conservation and the dynamic recovery of the property through the restoration of certain environments, period furniture, the opening to the public for visits, cultural events , with or without short stays, all for the purpose of regenerating the spirit and the physical along the path of the "Via Benedicti" that laps the entire Badia and revitalizes it.
The building is subject to protection pursuant to Legislative Decree 490 / 1899, Title I, by decree of the 29.09.1933 and subsequent transcription of the administrative deed at the Land Agency Real Estate Advertising Office Provincial Office of God on 03 March 2006, 4155 General Register - 2788 Particular Register.
Guided tours in the Badia San Sebastiano ad Alatri
Guided tour of the Abbey in Italian and English.
Visit to the nearby center of Fumone, to its castle where Pope Celestino V was imprisoned and to the ancient hanging garden (km 15).
Visits to the Cistercian abbeys:
Guided visits to the Cistercian abbeys di Casamari (km 15), of Fore (km 30), to Certosa di Trisulti (National Library 15 km), all 'Abbey of Montecassino (National Library 45 km); visit to the garden of Ninfa and to the city of Sermoneta (km 40) with the possibility of attending classical music evenings in the courtyard of the Castello Caetani; visit - walk to the town of Fiuggi (km 22) and to the Terme di Pompeo in Ferentino (km 7) for possible spa treatments and SPA (km 10)