The House of the Abbot Naldi
The Casa dell'Abate Naldi is located in San Quirico d'Orcia, 40 km south of Siena along the route of the Via Francigena - the current sr2 "Cassia".
The building is located on the main street, via Dante Alighieri, at n.24, halfway between Piazza Chigi and Piazza della Libertà.
The façade is plastered, with travertine moldings that mark the floors and the window frames.
The balcony on the main floor and two masonry benches with a travertine seat complete the façade decoration, on which there is also the coat of arms of the Naldis family with an abbot's hat - the first owners of the building.
Particularly interesting are the railings placed to protect the ground floor windows, in twisted wrought iron, constructed in such a way as to make it impossible to break it down.
From the street, through a monumental door, you enter a first entrance where there is a wooden door with a central grating; above this second door is the coat of arms of the Simonelli family, descendants of whom are still owners of the house.
You then enter the second entrance from which the monumental stairs in travertine lead to the noble floor. On the bottom you enter the pretty courtyard where there is an interesting seventeenth well.
The entrance to the first floor is characterized by a pair of large windows with leaded glass windows which also leads to the stairs leading to the upper floors once used for servants' quarters.
The halls are on the right and left of this entrance. When the doors are open, the perspective is remarkable starting from the large hall overlooking the via Dante to the roof garden on the opposite side. The Italian hanging garden is one of the main features of the house and is connected to the building through three terraces. On the façade from the garden side the travertine coat of arms of the Simonelli family.
The rooms overlooking Via Dante retain the original decorations of the 1700 while those on the garden have been repainted after the damage suffered during the last war.
The furniture consists of several pieces of furniture and paintings from the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries integrated over the generations by furniture of successive eras, giving the house a warm and lived atmosphere.
The second flight of stairs leads to a small mezzanine and then to the second floor and to the boxes; finally a last flight of stairs leads to the small tower above the roofs from which you can admire the village and the surrounding countryside from a particular position.
The history of the Abbot Naldi's House
At the 24 number of via Dante Alighieri, among the main monuments of the town, is the Casa dell'Abate Naldi, also called Palazzo Simonelli-Santi.
It was built in the seventeenth century on behalf of Matteo Naldi, a Sienese physician and scientist, archdium of Pope Alexander VII Chigi.
In 1684 it became property of Angelo Simonelli, an art expert, nephew of Nicolò Simonelli who was curator in Rome of the Chigi and Pamphili art collections. Angelo followed Cardinal Flavio Chigi to San Quirico when the latter was awarded by Cosimo III de 'Medici the title of marquis of the town.
The descendants of Angelo often lived in the house of San Quirico, acquiring several lands in the surrounding area to constitute a large landed property and related to various families of the local nobility.
At the end of the eighteenth century, the surname Simonelli was added that of Giorgio Santi, naturalist, a friend of Diderot and Franklin, a member of the "Le 9 Sorelle" lighting circle in Paris, rector of the University of Pisa and grand-ducal minister. Giogio Santi, dying without heirs, left his surname and his properties to the relatives of his wife, Anna Simonelli.
In the 1799 the general MacDonald, commander in chief of the body of French expedition in Italy, stopped in San Quirico and by virtue of the hospitality received from the Simonelli family he prohibited his troops from looting the country and its surroundings.
In the 1800 was born Lorenzo Simonelli, jurisconsult and gonfaloniere, head of all the current branches of the family that in Valdorcia is currently also owner of Palazzo Santi formerly Gonzaga in Pienza, the castle of Rimbecca and the villa of Malintoppo near San Quirico.
From the 1860 the Abbot Naldi's House was the home of Vittorio Simonelli, Lorenzo's newest son, who was professor of geology at the University of Bologna and director of the natural history museum of that city.
During the last war the house suffered serious damage due to a bomb exploded in the garden, while the facade on Via Dante Alighieri remained almost intact. Since the end of the war, once the damage has been restored, the house has always been inhabited by Vittorio Simonelli's heirs.
The current owners, Vittorio Cipolla, nephew of Vittorio Simonelli, and his wife Lorenza, often host chamber music concerts in the hall of the main floor and from the 2010 have created a music festival -Music in the Horti- under the artistic direction of M ° Gianluca Capuano, who will arrive at the 2017 edition in the 8.
For over twenty years Casa dell'Abate Naldi has opened its doors to host classical music concerts and other cultural events such as small theatrical performances and book presentations.
From 2011 it is the seat of the Cultural Association Amici di Musica nelle Horti, which gave life to the homonymous Music Festival under the artistic direction of Gianluca Capuano
Cooking classes and wine tastings are held in the ground floor rooms.
The courtyard is ideal for an aperitif standing for a wedding, given its proximity to the Collegiate Church and the Palazzo Comunale.
The main floor can be rented for weddings, film locations, photo shoots and private events.
Rental of premises on the ground floor, including the use of a professional kitchen: € 800 per day
Rental of rooms on the main floor and roof garden € 1000 - 1800 € per day.
A few kilometers from the town of San Quirico d'Orcia, the family that owns the Casa dell'Abate Naldi owns an organic farm in the center of which is the Agriturismo Il Rigo (www.agriturismoilrigo.com) that offers hospitality in delicious rooms with bathroom, breakfast and dinner, set in an old farmhouse in travertine dating back to the sixteenth century.