Castel Mareccio: a medieval manor in Bolzano
Castel Mareccio, located on the edge of the historic center of the city of Bolzano, lies immersed, like a Renaissance residence, among the green of the vineyards, but in reality it is a real one medieval manor equipped with its own walls, the main tower, the keep and the residential building. In different phases the castle was transformed into a Renaissance manor. The medieval architecture and Renaissance paintings mean that Castel Mareccio represents a mixture of two important eras in the art of South Tyrol.
With its ample beautifully frescoed rooms and with its antique-style furnishings the castle offers a setting ideal for conferences, weddings e banquets. The rooms, of various sizes and variously furnished, easily adapt to any need.
Castel Mareccio is easy to reach on foot, through the Lungotalvera promenade or the pedestrian streets of the historic center, but also by car since on the outside there is a large parking lot paid public.
The oldest nucleus, the main tower, was built by Berthold von Bozen progenitor of the Maretsch family, in the 1194. In the following centuries, various phases of expansion followed, including the construction of the boundary wall, during the thirteenth century. The Bolzano branch of the Mareccos died out in the 1385 and the castle passed by marriage to the Reifer family. When it was owned by Christofer Reifer, he disobeyed Duke Sigismondo the Danaroso and was for this imprisoned and forced to pay a fine that included the sale to the Duke of the Castle and its vicinity. Sigismondo sold it to the Mezner (1476), who in turn sold it to the Roman. The most substantial enlargement was intended by the Römer family, towards the middle of the 16th century, the four towers and the frescoes in the knight's hall, in the towers and in the chapel date back to that period, as well as the bridge moat.
The authors of numerous frescoes they are unknown, but they are certainly referable to the court of the Archduke Sigismund. The themes of the frescoes are biblical, but also heraldic. Passed by marriage to Hendl, the castle in the seventeenth century passed first to the Stams convent, then to Guidobaldo of Thun archbishop of Salzburg. The Thuns were owners until 1851, and was later purchased by Anna Sarnthein who rented it to the Treasury and Castel Mareccio became a weapons depot for over half a century.
In more recent years it became headquarters of the State Archive, but the state of construction was such that one was needed profound restructuring (1930 –1931).
the castle can be visited on days when no events are scheduled. The opening days are published and updated on the website www.mareccio.info
The admission price is € 5,00 per person (free up to 14 years)