Castello Banfi in Montalcino
The luxurious Rooms e Suites of Borgo di Castello Banfi, were built from stone houses built in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries next to the walls and towers of the medieval fortress, historically known as Poggio alle Mura, when it became quite safe to live outside the walls but wise to remain close for protection. The Castle, renamed Castello Banfi, is a homonymous reception center wine estate of 2,850 hectares.
Guests are surrounded by special attention in a refined and elegant environment, with particular attention to detail, typical of the wine world. Both cultural experiences is food and wine, like the Cooking Classes, wine tastings, the walks and the visits of the estate, but also just relax are the trademark of this enchanting destination.
Castello Banfi It is located in the southern area of the production area of the Brunello di Montalcino and is located at 16 kilometers west from Montalcino (about 12 minutes by car), to 70 kilometers south of Siena (about 1 hour drive), to 130 kilometers south of Firenze (about 2 hours and a half by car) and about 250 kilometers north of Rome (about 3 hours by car).
The history of the Banfi Castle
The strategic position between Siena e Grosseto and the fertile lands that have always surrounded it have made of the Castle of Poggio alle Mura a coveted and long-sought property over the centuries.
The complex develops mostly between the ninth and thirteenth centuries but its origin is certainly earlier. Some dungeons dug in the tuff still visible as well as some stone urns and pottery vases found during the last restoration suggest, in fact, the existence of a settlement already in Etruscan era. The "conci" - white stones typically used in the construction of Roman arches - today entered in the entrance arch, on the other hand, seem to witness a subsequent transformation into the Villa Romana.
The first official quote is from 1318, year in which Poggio alle Mura appears within the descriptive cadastre of the time - the "Table of possessions" - as entered administratively in the curia of Camigliano and belonging to the heirs of messer Mino di Neri dei Ranuccini. Later, with the transition from the Raunuccini family to that Colombini, the estate passes from the open settlement stage to that of fortified corporate center (palatium seu fortelitia).
It is the history of the Placid accounts, however, that more than all it binds to that of the Castle. This family of noble Sienese with important positions of government in the city, came into possession during the fifteenth century as a reward for having distinguished itself during the wars of the Republic of Siena against Florence. The property is subsequently given to them and on two occasions confiscated by the Republic itself. entrusted to the "Hospital of Santa Maria della Scala": in the 1483, with the expulsion of the Novesques - the party supported by the Placids - and in the 1487 - when the Placids are declared rebels. However, in the 1529 the Counts regain possession of the Castle and have since governed undisturbed until 1959, the year in which Poggio alle Mura is purchased by Mr. Mastropaolo, an Italian entrepreneur who had made his fortune in South America.
The last change of ownership takes place, finally, in the 1983, when the Castle, in poor condition due to the damages suffered during the II World War, becomes part of theBanfi winery. Will be the restoration works desired by the Mariani family - owner of the company - and started immediately after the purchase to bring it back to its former glory.
Currently the fortress presents a rather varied plant due to historical-architectural overlaps. It has a compact square plan and two internal courtyards with a crenellated tower, used as a lookout tower towards the north flank. On the opposite side, however, is the so-called "forging tower" where a ladder was placed that could be withdrawn in case of siege. Outside there is an access ramp resting on arches. Of particular interest are the fifteenth-century courtyard, with low arches on octagonal pillars and outside the villa of the sixteenth century and the rare and ancient ghiaccera with the characteristic mound shape. Also worthy of note is the marble slab on the entrance portal which shows the notations of the courtyard work carried out in the 1654.
Inside the Castle the "1992" is opened "Bottle and Glass Museum", dedicated to John F.Mariani, founder ofBanfi company, where you can admire one rich collection of glass objects and where the whole history of the bottle is traced.
Accommodation- Rooms are equipped with flat screen television with international satellite programming and radio with a selection of jazz, classical and contemporary music; high speed internet connection; direct telephone line; safe; a selection of complimentary wines from the company and a bar stocked with water, soft drinks and light snacks. The bathrooms are all equipped with professional hairdryers, towel warmers, large waterfall showers, some rooms also have a bathtub and the bathroom toiletries include shampoo, conditioner and body creams prepared with our grapes. Sangiovese. Each room has been painted and furnished with different colors and styles as well as artistic furnishing accessories; in addition, some have a separate wardrobe room, desk and breakfast table.
Cooking classes and tastings - Cooking classes are available by our Chef who will teach you how to cook some of the most typical Italian recipes together with Banfi wine tastings.
Music Festivals- Castello Banfi is sponsor of the "Jazz & Wine Festival" which takes place in Montalcino every summer in July, with concerts both in the city center of Montalcino and within the property. During the winter it organizes aperitifs with live music.
Other activities- Among the many personalized activities our Concierge can organize itineraries for walking or mountain bike tours inside the Banfi Estate or in the surrounding area; scenic tours to nearby places, shopping tours or treatments at the surrounding wellness centers.
Hotel Il Borgo: Tel. + 39 0577 877700 / Taverna: Tel. + 39 0577 877524
Sala dei Grappoli: Tel. + 39 0577 877524 / wine shop: Tel. + 39 0577 877500
Hospitality Office: Tel. + 39 0577 877505 / + 39 0577 877514