Castle of Cordovado
The Castle of Cordovado, now known as the "Castle of Roses" (hundreds of species of this wonderful flower are cultivated in its gardens), is a fortified medieval village. Of the original structure are the two shielded towers that at the time had their drawbridge and most of the walls very well preserved.
Inside the latter are the 12th century church which houses a Giotto fresco, the fifteenth century Agricultural Palace with its beautiful mullioned window, the imposing 16th century Piccolomini Freschi villa, built on the remains of the ancient manor. collapsed in part following the 1511 earthquake.
It was built in the classic Venetian style with a central hall passing on three floors, a large central three-light window on the first floor above the important door that was originally the entrance to the keep. The villa is still inhabited by the owners who take particular care of it and preserve all the charm of the antique furniture of the houses of the past, with the beautiful library, the music room, frescoed trompe-l'oeil simulant, a neoclassical pavilion whose curtains open wide on lake and marine views. The work is attributed to the Udinese painter Sante Zuccolo. In each room on the ground floor there are beautiful fireplaces or old tiled stoves, and important memories of the families who owned this residence.
The park surrounding the villa was created by Count Sigismondo Freschi and his friend architect Pietro Quaglia at the beginning of the 1800, recovering medieval remains reinterpreted in a landscape style in the romantic style of the era, and still preserves original plants of the time now become gigantic . The gardens and the park are scattered with plants, bushes and climbing roses, and a huge labyrinth of Damascene Roses has been created in which to lose oneself in the enchantment of perfumes and silences.
And always inside the walls are the medieval houses that were the homes of peasants and craftsmen, with their small gardens and gardens, and other agricultural appurtenances now restored as residences, which still retain all their charm and poetry.
The history of the Castle of Cordovado
The Castle of Cordovado, built on a prehistoric site and a subsequent Roman settlement, was built around the eleventh century to defend the territory from the raids of the Huns.
The favorable geographic position of the fortification, located near a ford of the Via Augusta on the Tagliamento river, favored the development in the late Middle Ages of a fortified village under the jurisdiction of the Bishops of Concordia Sagittaria. The reason for this fortified stronghold was the control of the boundaries of the Episcopal territories and in particular of the ford on the Via Augusta which, since Roman times, led from Concordia towards Gemona and in the Germanic countries. Therefore, it was a place of transit and trade as well as a defensive outpost.
It was ruled by a steward, a charge attributed to the Ridolfi family, whose duty was to permanently reside there, to guard it, to defend it, to administer it and administer justice to it.
Towards the middle of the 1500 the fiefdom passed for marriage to the powerful Athems or Attimis family, a large family that from the castle of Athemis, spread over the years in Italy, Austria and Germany. Federico d'Attimis is responsible for the construction of the great Villa.
In the 1801 there were the wedding of Countess Caterina d'Attimis and Count Antonio Freschi di Cucagna (or Cucanea). The latter descend from the Cucanea stock as the Valvasone, the Zucco and the Partistagno and lived in their castles above Faedis and Cividale. In the 1700 they had built a villa in Ronchis, and had definitively left the castles now useless as defenses and as uncomfortable as housing.
At the death of her husband and many of her sons and daughters, Catarina decided to rejoin her brothers who lived in the villa of Ramuscello, and settled in her possessions of Cordovado with her two surviving sons, Carlo Sigismondo and Gherardo.
The uncles of Ramuscello adopted Gherardo, a great scholar, known at the time, an important sociologist, he wrote treatises on the education of young people, on the social problems of women, on the innovations of agriculture, in particular on the breeding of silkworms, on culture of vineyards and wine conservation.
He had contacts with personalities of the culture and sciences of the time, including the great Pasteur. Carlo Sigismondo, remained in Cordovado, was also an intellectual and scholar: he devoted himself in particular to agriculture, but also to astronomy and astrology that aroused so much interest at that time. It was he who designed and planted the large park of the villa.
His son Antonio Freschi was an excellent violinist and composer and also collector of ancient instruments. He had studied in Brescia with the well-known musician Antoio Bazzini who often came to Cordovado for long periods where he had formed a well known musical salon.
His son Carlo followed his diplomatic career, he married in Verona the beautiful Countess Eleonora Sparavieri, he died in the 1925. Their son Antonio Luigi died very young during the Second World War. So it was that his sister Nicoletta, wife of Count Lorenzo Piccolomini Clementini Adami, of the prestigious Sienese family who gave
to the Church two Popes and prestigious historical figures, inherited the properties of the Freschi family.
Nicoletta was a woman of many interests and great humanity, she lived for a long time in her villa in Cordovado, dedicating herself personally to the restoration and enhancement of her properties within the village. In order to ensure continuity of his project he left each of his ten children a house inside the castle.
Thanks to his foresight today this place is lived and loved.
Services: wedding locations and Charme events in Friuli
The Dimora, the gardens and the park can be visited always by reservation and for groups of at least 20 people with the guidance of one of the owners who speak English and French.
We rent the premises for private lunches (prepared by catering), weddings, events, exhibitions, concerts, fashion shows, film and photographic sets.
The first weekends of April and October take place the "Open Castles" event organized by the Castelli Consortium of Friuli Venezia Giulia. Wonderful opportunity to visit the places and participate in seasonal events, games for children, picnics, exhibitions and conferences.
In May you can visit the gardens and the Labyrinth of Rose Damascene every Saturday and Sunday from 10 to 18. All other days by appointment and for groups of at least 20 people.