The Dal Pozzo Castle
The story of Castello Dal Pozzo is as unique a story as are its lush surroundings, the gourmet restaurant and the attentive service throughout the resort. The romantic Castle, originally built as a fort by the Visconti family in the XIth century, was inherited by the Dal Pozzo family in the XIXth who rebuilt it in the Gothic Revival style and have lived there for six generations.
Decorated with antique furniture and sumptuous fabrics, the boutique hotel, with the offer of 45 rooms, classifies itself more like a private home with the standards of a 5-star luxury Hotel.
Whether the occasion is a wedding, a business event, your honeymoon, an anniversary or a romantic weekend, Castello Dal Pozzo offers an incomparable, intimate and elegant destination. The resort lies only 2 kms from Lake Maggiore, 29 kms from Malpensa International Airport and 60 kms from Milan.
That of Oleggio Castello, in the province of Novara, and of the ancient residence, property of the Marquises Dal Pozzo
d'Annone that stands there, is a millennial history, started in 900, when it was brought to light a Roman castrum, where, it is said, was located in the Legion V.
The castrum, called Q.Legio, from which the name Olegio derives, was renamed, in the 1186 Oleggio Castello, in honor
to the Visconti building, built around the year 1000.
It was from the shores of Lake Maggiore that the Visconti, towards the 1200, moved to the dominion of the Lordship of Milan, assumed by the 1277.
In the following centuries, the castle, little defended, in the absence of its lords, was the object of multiple attacks, intrusions and fires until it reached a partial destruction.
In the mid-eighteenth century, the descendants of the Visconti, who had become Aragon by concession of King Ferdinand of Naples in the 1462, through the recovery of those who were
now the remains of the castle, built a residential building.
The Marquis Alberto Visconti d'Aragona, around the 1830, was implicated for his active participation in the riots
carbonari and, for this crime condemned to death and the expropriation of assets.
The properties passed to his sister, wife of Bonifazio dal Pozzo d'Annone, of Piedmontese origin.
In successive centuries, the Castle, more or less abandoned, was the subject of multiple attacks, intrusions and fires until it became a partial, but conspicuous ruin.
Nearby is the eighteenth-century palace with its Italian Garden. The structure of the resort has recently been enlarged by the addition of the old stables with adjacent houses of the factors.
It was here, in the Palace, that Alberto, the last descendant of the Visconti of Aragon, lived after being forgiven
for his participation in the "Carbonari motions". Following his death and that of his wife Luigia Monticelli Obizzi, the Palace, in the following decades, became a refuge and home for many local families during the succession of the World Wars. Later, when Oleggio Castello,
detaching itself from Paruzzaro, it became an autonomous municipality, the palace, by concession of the Dal Pozzo family, became temporary, home of the local school. It was then abandoned until it became a ruin. Since then it has been completely renovated and opened to the public by the 2010.
The services of the Dal Pozzo Castle in Oleggio Castello
Prices for events:
Weddings: indicative cost rental location € 3.300
Company events: indicative cost rent location € 3.800
Various events: indicative cost single room rent € 700
Euro 15 per person, with drink at the bar "" Dan Garden Lounge "" included
Places of interest nearby: Borromean Islands, San Carlo Statue, Mottarone, Lake Orta, Lake Maggiore, Ticino Natural Park