The Castle of Lurano "Secco Suardo"
Today the Castello Secco Suardo presents itself as an articulated set of building structures developed around the internal courtyard with a rectangular plan and other buildings connected directly to the main body, which surround the complex.
On the west side of these buildings, along Via Mazzini, opens the door of one of the entrances that overlooks the garden and the castle, and access to the sixteenth century noble chapel.
It contains various tombstones including the tombstone of the 1309 sarcophagus, of Alberico Suardo, a rare example of equestrian high-relief, attributed to one of the Campione Masters and the plaque of the ark of Baldino and Teutaldo. On the external front, surmounting the entrance we note an interesting fresco of Madonna with Saints, and a classical "Serliana" that guarantees the light in the chapel.
The garden, transformed at the end of the 700 in the Botanical Garden by Gerolamo Secco Suardo (brother of the writer and poet Paolina Secco Suardo), passionate lover of the naturalistic disciplines, still preserves some rare and precious species of trees and plants.
The main part of the building preserves an architectural structure dating back to the fifteenth century, characterized by the presence of a tower and a portico with cross vaults.
The ground floor
Remaining on the ground floor, directly from the entrance, there is access to three rooms with fully decorated walls and cross vaults. One of these is used as "dining room". The remaining two rooms, "yellow room" and "green room", with neoclassical decorations, act as living rooms. From here we pass to the "Salone delle baccanti", bright and cheerful, open on one side on the garden and on the other on the internal courtyard. The walls are stuccoed in marble with a representation of dancing girls in the middle and anthropomorphic and floral decorations on the vault.
Contiguous to "bacchae salon"There are the rooms destined to the historical archives from which one then accesses thehistorical archive true where the documents of the family and territory are kept.
The first piano
Going up the main staircase you reach, on the first floor, a large gallery lit by four large windows facing the garden.
On the gallery, doors open to the other rooms on the first floor. The first one enters a living room, "Chinese roomwith XNUMXth and XNUMXth century decorations: paneled walls and decorated slatted ceiling. This room leads to various other historic environments including the alcove, a precious example of XNUMXth century interior architecture with decorations attributed to Galliari. The inner part of the room is separated from the area facing the window from a structure that, like a theatrical backdrop, looks like the pediment of a loggia with three arches, with the two lower side arches, closed by a graceful railing , like a balcony.
Called "north wing" develops, at a right angle to the portico, another body of three floors plus a mezzanine.
Other rooms of the Castle
On the ground floor there is, besides a large room on the garden, a large sixteenth-century room used as kitchens of the Castle with fireplace and stone fires. Through a stone spiral staircase one accesses a mezzanine and then on the first floor. This area, with an interesting plant perhaps of Venetian influence, is characterized by a long and vast central hall with a fireplace that opens onto an open loggia, overlooking the garden on the North side. The whole complex rests on a wide ramification of underground and tunnels (some closed and not yet explored) with barrel vaults and various mouths of wolf, perhaps an indication of a different level of the ground in ancient times.
The history of the 'Castle' of Lurano is intertwined with that of the locality of the same name, located in the middle of the Bergamo plains, a territory rich in water and favorable to the cultivation and breeding of livestock. Archaeological finds attest to the settlement since Roman times.
Probably the first defensive structures in Lurano were built in the early Middle Ages, as a fortified enclosure within which the inhabitants of the houses scattered in the countryside took refuge in case of danger. The 'Castle', as such, is mentioned for the first time in a document of the year 1216.
In the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries the history of Lurano and the Castle are marked by conflicts between the dominant families and related violence and military clashes for domination.
In February 1407, the castle was besieged and then set on fire by the militias of Jacopo dal Verme.
From the 1428 the territory of Bergamo is annexed to the Most Serene Republic of Venice. Lurano is thus located in a strategic position on the border between the State of Milan and the Venetian Republic and becomes a defensive outpost.
The Secco Suardo family
In the fifteenth century it became the property of the Secco family, lords of Caravaggio. In the 1483 Socino II Secco instructs the military architect Venturino Moroni to carry out important works.
In the 1517 Socino II Secco, following the marriage of his daughter Maria with Ludovico Suardo, gives to the nephew Marco Antonio Suardo all the property of Lurano with the clause of combining the two surnames Secco and Suardo.
The Castle became one of the main residences of the Secco Suardo family where, through the generations, it continued to live and to leave historical, professional and personal testimonies.
In the first part of the seventeenth century the Castle is the theater of the struggles between Galeazzo Secco Suardo and Bernardino Visconti which inspired Alessandro Manzoni for the character of the “Unnamed”.
In the eighteenth century, by work of Girolamo Secco Suardo, realized the first Botanical Garden of the province of Bergamo with over two thousand plant species.
In the nineteenth century it was the residence and laboratory of Giovanni Secco Suardo, historical reference figure of Italian restoration.
From the 1991 in the Castle of Lurano there is the Center for Studies and Research on the conservation and restoration of cultural heritage, named after Giovanni Secco Suardo, and the National Historical Archives of Italian Restorers.
It is still today residence of the Secco Suardo family.
The Castle of Lurano is location for receptions: baptisms, communions, confirmations and weddings, birthday parties for adults and children, graduation parties. Corporate meetings and private events.
Conference Hall, Concerts, Courses and Seminars
The residence offers the possibility of renting the Sala delle Baccanti for conferences, concerts, courses and seminars with eventual catering service and lounges for separate meetings.
Photographic and video services
It is possible to rent the whole property which consists of various rooms on the ground floor and on the first and second floors.
Guided tours on weekends from April to October, upon reservation.
Groups of 10-25 people.
Prices for visits: 7 € adults - 4 € children 6-14 years. Free entry on the day of the birthday.
Activities with schools
The Castle of Lurano collaborates with local schools, it is possible to book guided tours and educational workshops for elementary school children. Duration 2 approximately hours.
Master class of music and artist residencies
Inside the house, an independent suite and three rooms can accommodate musicians with their teacher or artists looking for a retired and collected place to work in peace.
Staying in the Castle
The structure is equipped, in its context, with four apartments all independent (three two-room and one four-room apartment) for medium-long-term rentals. Guests can experience the unique experience of staying in an ancient castle just a few steps from Bergamo.