• IT | EN

Castle of Osasco

A place of charm where to live history
Site Search
Site Search
Advanced Search
No products found 0 results
Your search results

Castle of Osasco

City:
Region:
€ 70 / day
???????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????? ? ???????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????????????????

Get in touch with the Historic House

The Castle of Osasco

The Castle of Osasco was built in the fourteenth century as a fortress to defend the boundaries of the land of the princes of Acaia Lords of Pinerolo. Its massive structure is quadrilateral in shape and four towers at the top overlook a few meters its roofs, built on three sides with Luserna stone and in coppi.

The original structure of the castle was formed by a ground floor and a first floor above which will develop the walkways protected by Ghibelline battlements.
In the seventeenth century the structure was subject to numerous changes including: the raising of a floor that led to the elimination of the chimneys of the patrol and the frescatura of the facade with panels of various scenes surrounded by a fake ashlar. The frescoes with human and animal figures that cover protruding parts of the previous battlements still remain in good evidence; the family crest is still evident above the entrance door, once protected by a drawbridge above the still present moat. Inside the castle are to be noted for the purpose of their use:

  • the courtyard completed by a portico with crossed barrel vaults and a well.
  • Some rooms with barrel vaults and of considerable size and enriched with openings that release the considerable size of the walls.
  • A library lounge with painted coffered ceiling
  • Two praised with large windows overlooking the garden and the courtyard.

The castle is enriched on its front by an elaborate Italian garden with hedges in boxwood while the park, which extends on the west side, is embellished by numerous old trees and is accessed by a majestic arch created by Benedetto Alfieri, well-known architect of numerous Savoy residences. Remains of walls and towers are still present around the castle.

The history of the Castello di Osasco

Il castle probably dates back to the 14th century; From the documents found so far we know that in the 1334 i Savoy Principles of Acaia they sell the place of Osasco to Provana family, which keeps it up to 1360, when i Cacherano, already invested with the place of Bricherasio, bought Osasco.

In the 1436 the Cacherano Family of Osasco, in the person of Brunone Cacherano, is here enfeoffed by the Savoy Principles of Acaia, who dominated Osasco from the 1325.

It is well known that the Princes of Acaia in Osasco inflate the family in a period when they were expanding their territories with the intent to defend their duchy from French invasions through the valleys of the Waldensians.

Probably this is the defensive reason that has placed the castle in the plains; the fortification, originally endowed with a moat that encircled it on all four sides, was enlarged at the end of the 1300 with the construction of another moat.

The most feared enemy at the time was Bonifacio Cane, called Facino Cane, an Italian leader who fought for Theodore II of Monferrato against the Savoy and Achaia.

In 1690 Osasco suffers a severe siege by French troops sent by Louis XIV and captained by the general Catinat. At the beginning of the 1700 the Castle was again besieged by the French twice, but none of the two daring attacks led to the French victory.

Once the war urgencies had ceased, during the 1700, the military fortress castle was transformed into a baroque style mansion; expanded and raised one floor. The façade is frescoed by Caisotti, Italian garden designed by Benedetto Alfieri.

The entrance to the park is ennobled by an arch.

At the beginning of 1900 the castle becomes Cistercian monastery for about a decade. At the end of this period, the structure is again purchased by the Cacherano d'Osasco family

Services: agriturismo, wedding location and charming events in Piedmont

  • Agrilocanda obtained from the restructuring of the old adjacent farms, inside the walls of the property
  • ample parcheggio internal
  • Possibility to celebrate weddings with civil ceremony
Pets allowed
Park or garden
Price: € 70 / day
Bedrooms: 5
Beds: 10
Events Salons: 3
Places For Events: 130
Set In Outdoors: Si
Set In Interior: Si
Set In Garden: Si
Vehicles accessibility for Events: Si
Address: Via Castello d'Osasco, 10
City:
Region:
Postal Code: 10060
Country: Italy

Get in touch with the Historic House

Compare Listings