The Macchiaroli Castle in Teggiano
Il Castello Macchiaroli, located in the city museum of teggiano in the center of Vallo di Diano in the province of Salerno, built in the Norman period is among the most important in southern Italy. It belonged to the Sanseverino principles and has been the site of important historical events such as the Barons' Conjure in the 1485. Subsequently over the centuries it has changed its role from bellicose fortress to a quiet feudal residence succeeding the various owners up to 1860 when, the monumental structure, was purchased by the Macchiaroli family who still owns it.
Today, after important restoration works that have made it possible to restore its ancient warpaths and relive the majesty of its towers, it has been enriched in furnishings and decorations with an elegant and refined style making it an ideal setting for weddings and parties . Moreover, thanks to its wide open spaces of the ancient moat, of the curtain and of the towers beyond its internal rooms, it is an ideal place for concerts, theatrical events, conferences, congresses and cultural events in an atmosphere that brings to life a magic of other times to spend unforgettable moments.
Easily reachable from Naples and Basilicata, near the Cilento and Amalfi coast, this ancient residence is within walking distance of important sites of historical and landscape interest such as the Certosa di Padula, the Caves of Pertosa, the Baptistery of San Giovanni in Fonte, the National Park of Cilento and Vallo di Diano.
History of the Macchiaroli Castle
The most ancient news of the Macchiaroli Castle in Teggiano, Diano up to 1862, are contained in a privilege of 27 1405 May in which the king Ladislao of Durazzo granted to the Dianese, who had undertaken the restructuring of the castle with the construction of a large tower, tax relief and a financial contribution due from the towns and farmhouses of the Vallo di Diano. In that year the feud of Diano belonged to the royal domain, having Ladislao confiscated from the Sanseverino counts of Marsico, to punish them for having been his enemies, that is, supporters of the Angevins of Provence.
Another important restoration of the Castello Macchiaroli was carried out in 1487 by order of King Ferdinando I of Aragon, conducted by the Florentine architect Giuliano da Sangallo. In this period Diano belonged to the royal domain, having been confiscated from the prince Antonello Sanseverino, declared rebellious for having led in the 1485 the Conspiracy of the Barons, prepared in the Castle of Diano. With the work of 1487, the Castle saw its strategic role confirmed for the defense of the surrounding territory.
The castle had a cup-covered keep, which was crowned by five cylindrical towers, uncovered and heavily discharged. The towers were joined by strong crenellated curtains, in the central area stood the tetragono building with various rooms that overlooked a spacious courtyard that covers all of its width a cistern capable of ensuring the reserve of water needed to resist a long siege. The fortress was surrounded by a deep and wide moat, on which two drawbridges could be lowered. For his powerful defenses, Antonello chose him as the last bastion. In the 1497, locked up in the castle, he supported the siege of King Frederick of Aragon, who arrived with his army to sniff the Prince of Salerno, who had rebelled again. For about two months the fortress of Diano was impregnable, however, with the arrival of another military contingent under the command of Gonsalvo Fernandez de Cordoba, Antonello surrendered to honorable conditions. Thus ended the warlike period of the Castello di Diano. The last scion of the Sanseverinos, the restless Ferrante, was overwhelmed by the anti-barbarian policy of the viceroy Don Pietro di Toledo, losing his fiefdoms and becoming extinct in the 1552.
With the succession of new feudal lords, the Castello Macchiaroli changes its role: it passes from a belligerent Sanseverese fortress to a quiet feudal residence, almost always inhabited by a governor who takes care of the baron's interests, presides over the local court and monitors public order. The restorations made by Giovanni Villano, third marquis of Polla and lord of Diano, were aimed at the recovery of the residential area. From 1652 the Castle passes to the