The Castle of Pralormo
The Castle of Pralormo, whose origins date back to the Middle Ages, has been transformed into various eras in noble residence thanks to the intervention of some of the major architects of the time.
The current appearance dates back to the nineteenth century when, after the original military destination of the building, the Count Carlo Beraudo of Pralormo, diplomatic and politician of the Albertine age, he transformed the dwelling deeply, choosing the best architect of the time Ernesto Melano and entrusting the garden to Xavier Kurten.
The Castle is still permanently inhabited by the owners, the Counts Beraudo di Pralormo who own it from the 1680: considering themselves "temporary conservatives" consider it right and proper not only to preserve the castle and the estate because they are also part of the landscape, but make them usable by the public, without distorting them.
They therefore started a business in the 1990s exhibition temporary arrangements allowing theopen to the public and therefore the use of the park, the appurtenances and the castle, guaranteeing a constant program of ordinary and extraordinary maintenance.
Every year the Castle proposes a program full of initiatives, from the beginning of spring to late autumn. In particular, the event is held every year in April Messer Tulipano it is very successful, gathering thousands of visitors to admire the flowered park with more than one 75.000 tulips. Furthermore, inside the Castle, a new one has just been inaugurated new visit path, dedicated to an extraordinary one collection of vintage trains (1895-1940) and an amazing large-scale plastic model (1: 43) that crosses 3 rooms on the top floor. The visit, reserved for groups of enthusiasts and collectors, includes the very first spring models and then steam trains and electric trains, but also documents and maps dedicated to the construction of railways and railway tunnels, technological innovations that ignited the enthusiasm of our great-grandparents and of which the models are precious testimonies.
Finally, the castle proposes 5 "rural suites", set up in the appurtenances and located in the perimeter of the park: 5 themed apartments, dedicated to ancient crafts: the woodcutter, the coachman, the gardener, the gardener and the herbalist. These cozy rural suites, enriched by antique furniture, equipment and tools, offer the opportunity to live for a few days in the quiet of Pralormo, a few kilometers from Turin and its museums, and at the gates of Langhe and Roero.
The estate includes, in addition to the castle, the historical park, flowered garden, the appurtenances (theOrangery, ancient greenhouse for citrus fruits, and the Castellana, impressive rural building) and thefarm, still managed by the family for the purpose of preserving the surrounding landscape.
Appointments to the 2020 castle
XXI Edition of Messer Tulipano which will take place 28 from March to May 1 2020 in the park of the Castle and that on the occasion of the twentieth anniversary will make 100.000 tulips flourish and will present extraordinary productions.
Every day from 28 March 2020, but also every Sunday from May to November, you can also visit the Castle with the two itineraries: one to discover the main environments, all fully furnished, which lead from the cellars to large kitchens and then to large halls enriched with tables set with extraordinary porcelains and silver family; the other, "The Conte train", Itinerary in one of the towers on the third floor of the Castle that plunges into the atmosphere of a nineteenth-century train station, with spring and steam trains, a control cabin with the repair shop and an amazing antique system, secret wonder that enlivened four generations of adults and children of our family and that occupies three rooms, on which they travel trains in 0 scale between landscapes painted on the walls and galleries dug into the walls.
History of the Castle of Pralormo
The park of the Castle is of great historical and landscape interest: it was in fact realized in the nineteenth century by Count Carlo Beraudo of Pralormo, Minister of the Interior of King Carlo Alberto, who entrusted Xavier Kurten, court landscapist who was working at the Royal Castle of Racconigi, the transformation of the small rose garden, on the south side, in English park.
The Kurten project, of which the autograph list of essences to be planted remains, has been completely realized and its plant has been handed down to us. Of style English and of profound taste romantico, contrasts with the size of the Castle the height of majestic species such as cedars and oaks.
The paths wind with curvilinear trends, and the colors of maples, cedars, plums, yews, lindens, lilacs, spirae give different sensations to the visitor depending on the lights and seasons. However, it is above all in the summer that the project of the Kurten reveals all the mastery of its author, while still making a place in a totally dry territory fresh and delicious.
In the park the designer also made it happen two stretches of water in which the rainwater collected from the roofs of the castle, the Orangerie and the rural building bordering the park, and from the avenues of the garden converge. This system based on the saving of water resources, essential in a very arid zone, still allows today to meet the needs of the garden without drawing on the municipal aqueduct or wells.
Finally, in Pralormo, the designer took advantage of the natural scenery of the mountain chain, providing for skilful cuts among the trees so as to enjoy during walks in the park some particular views of the panorama from the hill of Cadibona to Monterosa.
Changes in taste at the end of the nineteenth century and the disappearance of some species have introduced limited changes in the Kurten plant. The main ones were the construction of a two-storey building intended for Orangery e stable, and the plant of one greenhouse on the south side of the Castle (1875-1900).
Probably the introduction of the bamboo, the plateaux of rosellines and the planting of a rare shrub species (clerodendrum Perbungei) next to the castle terrace probably date back to the same period. One of the wonders of this garden, the result of both the choice of plants proposed by Kurten and the taste and passion for the flowers of the Countess Matilde Beraudo of Pralormo at the end of the nineteenth century, is the flowering in rotation.
Being an English garden, flowers have always had a secondary role, they are in fact relegated to the perimeter sites, along the wall or as cut flowers in a hidden garden. At the beginning of winter the scent of the calicantus almost stuns the visitor, in March it is greeted by the splendid yellow of the forsitzie and shortly thereafter the daffodils narcissuses, crocuses and violets.
During the 1994 we have dedicated ourselves to the cataloging of all the shrubby and herbaceous tree species existing today in the garden and to the relief of their placement in the plant, to the compilation of a garden herb. Since 2000 every spring the park opens to the public on the occasion of "Messer Tulipano" with the flowering of tens of thousands of blooming tulips, anecdotes and curiosities about these magnificent flowers.
Sleeping in a castle in Piedmont
Hospitality in Tuscany: 5 apartments, from 30 to 90 square meters, from 2 to 5 beds, with full kitchen, (for more info: www.lecasedellagiardiniera.it )
Total beds: 17
Price apartments for 1 day: starting from € 90, see detailed rates on the site
Price per apartment per week: from € 504,00 a 700,00 per week
Weddings and private events at the Castle
Weddings: Two structures with 4 salons, from 130 to 600 seats. Park of 25000 square meters, private parking, agreement with the Municipality for civil marriages
Company events: on request
Various events: on request
Visit the Castle of Pralormo
In April the park is open, for a fee, for individuals and groups, every day for the botanical exhibition "Messer Tulipano" with 100.000 bulbs in bloom. It is also possible to visit the castle with another ticket.
The Castle can be visited, for individuals also on Sundays from May to November, except August. For groups of at least 15 people it is possible to arrange visits even on weekdays.
Recently a new tour route has been opened, dedicated to a very rare collection of vintage trains (1895-1940) and to an amazing working model on a large scale (1: 43) that crosses 3 rooms on the last floor of the Castle.
Places of interest nearby
Castle of Racconigi, Abbey complex of Casanova, Martini Museum of the history of enology, Ancient city of Alba and the hills of the Langhe and Roero areas renowned for food and wine