The Castle of Rocca D'Ajello in Camerino
La Rocca d'Ajello it is an ancient one fortress built between 1260 and the 1450 from the ducal family of the Varano, who ruled Camerino between the '200 and the' 500. It stands on a hill surrounded by woods, surrounded by a pristine hilly landscape in which fields and vineyards as far as the eye make up in the different seasons with new colors.
Just in front of the castle is the Church of St. Blaise, built on the ruins of a 10th century abbey, with its old one rectory.
The whole hill on which the castle stands has become an intensely cultivated garden that houses a collection of ancient and modern roses and colorful dahlias. There is no corner where the flowers are not present to soften the severe medieval architecture with their exuberant blooms and bright colors. Climbing roses climb the oaks falling into delicate festoons, covering the walls of the castle and the parsonage, framing a white cloud the
portal of the church of San Biagio from which the spouses come out among thick throws of rice.
To access the castle you can go up the steps of the garden of the Frutteto, bordered with flowers and shrubs in all shades of yellow, blue and white.
Climbing roses in the shades of yellow cover the old fruit trees along the terraces.
At the bottom, bordering the cultivated fields, a collection of cut roses divided by color, used by the florists of the Rocca to make large decks in the halls of the house and decorations of all kinds for events.
Who does not want to climb the hundred steps of the Orchard can choose a path bordered with flowers that leads directly to the garden located along the main facade of the castle.
Enclosed by crenellated walls, it has an Italian style: 6 large flowerbeds bordered with box and overflowing with flowers, with a stone basin full of water lilies in the center and two romantic arches covered with roses and clematis. An aperitif is served here during receptions. The dwelling is developed on various levels, given the particular conformation of the area on which it stands.
Below we find the large medieval sandstone rooms with vaulted ceilings where events take place: the ancient Stable with the niches in which the horses of the Varano garrison ate, the hallway and at a higher level the Sala d'Armi.
Going up again you go out into the large court enclosed within the walls of the castle, which overlooks a room full of games dedicated to children.
On the main floor a row of furnished lounges, many with frescoed ceilings, houses a collection of works by Francesco Vitalini, engraver and painter, landscape painter, lived between the 1865 and the 1905.
The history of the Castle of Rocca D'Ajello
Between the 1260 and the 1280 Dear I from Varano, lord of Camerino, built the two towers of Rocca d'Ajello, whose name derives perhaps from the word "agellus" (small field). They were sighting towers, certainly much higher than they are currently, from which they made optical connections with other fortresses of the chessboard and controlled the neighbor
Potenza river, the basin of the Palente and the gorge that led to Torre Beregna, also called "Troncapassi".
The two fortified units were connected by a basement tunnel and being built at close range, subjected any cross-attacker to the monitored area in common. In the 1382 Giovanni da Varano called "Spaccaferro", to contrast the expansionist ambitions of Matelica and San Severino, he created a defensive line that
it extended for about 12 kilometers, from Torre Beregna, collapsed in recent times, to the mouths of Pioraco.
The two towers of Rocca d'Ajello were part of it, Torre del Parco (also called "Salvum me fac", "Torre dei Bilancioni" or "Torre del Ponte" as it defended the bridge over the river Potenza), the castle of Lanciano (transformed into a splendid villa with a large park by Giovanna Malatesta, wife of Giulio Cesare Varano, at the end of the 15th century) and the Iron Gate tower in Pioraco, no longer exists.
The defenses of the line consisted of graves, embankments and a sort of frisian horses whose construction required a large amount of trees: hence the name "Tagliata" or "Intagliata". In Giovanni da Varano (1377) we owe the beginning of the transformation of the fortress, which will be completed in 1475 by Giulio Cesare from Varano, whose initials appear in a fragment of fresco found in the Sala d'Armi, with the creation of a fortified trapezoidal complex, also used as a dwelling.
In the inventory of the Varano properties, it was written in the 1502 by Cesare Borgia, taking possession of the state of Camerino, Ajello is called "Villa con Rocca". After the end of the lordship of the Varano, in the middle of the '500, the castle passed to the State of the Church and then to various families including the Massei and the Bruschetti. In the second half of the nineteenth century it was bought by Ortenzio Vitalini, to whose descendants it still belongs. The church of San Biagio, in front of the castle, stands on the remains of a monastic settlement of the ninth century, dependent on the Abbey of Sassovivo in Foligno.
The apsidal fresco, dated 1523, is the work of a painter from the school of Girolamo di Giovanni. Mary, John and the Bishop Saint Biagio are represented at the foot of the Crucified Christ.
Services: wedding locations and events in the Marche region
Il castle of Rocca d'Ajello you can rent for occasions of various kinds: weddings and other ceremonies (baptisms, communions, confirmations), graduation parties, birthdays e anniversaries, corporate events.
The dwelling has ample space both inside and outside: a vast garden flowered, a large courtyard paved surrounded by crenellated walls, the air-conditioned Sala d'Armi, and the Scuderia Varano, two large rooms each of which can host up to 220 people sitting, the Hall of Carriages where other 50 people can find space around. All the rooms are heated. THE living rooms furnished on the main floor, with the spectacular bouquets of flowers gathered in the Rocca's gardens, they are an elegant setting for the photos of the couple and can be visited by the guests. A nursery full of games offers moments of leisure for the little ones.
The entire structure is rented exclusively to a single couple a day, who can choose their favorite caterer or restaurant. The kitchens they are equipped with industrial appliances and centralized gas. The equipment offered by the house includes round tables of 3 sizes and rectangular, Thonet type chairs for the rooms and chairs and side tables for the garden. The services offered by the house include floral decorations, the lighting of the rooms with candles and the exterior with torches.
Places of interest nearby
Changing room: Diocesan Museum and San Domenico Museum, F. Marchetti Theater; Castle of Lanciano; Castle of Caldarola; San Severino: Feronia Theater; Matelica: Piersanti Museum; Tolentino: Basilica San Nicola, Museum of Caricature; Fabriano: Paper Museum; Macerata: Spheristerion