The Castle of Rocca Grimalda
Tower: construction of bricks with a circular plan, was originally higher and ended with a crowning of Ghibelline merlons. Inside presents 6 overlapping environments. Used for centuries as a prison, preserves, through the soot on the walls and graffiti carved on the walls, memory of those who stayed there. Small slits illuminate the rooms, while the top of the tower, once used for sighting, was destroyed by lightning at the end of '800.
The Chapel: built at the base of the western wing of the castle, it was commissioned by Giovanni Battista Grimaldi III at the end of the 700. It is masterfully decorated in trompe l'oeil with the addition of polychrome stuccoes. The perspective effect of windows, fake architectures, balustrades and coffers is very spectacular.
The cellars: majestic for their size and attention to detail, the vast cellars are found mainly at the base of the eighteenth-century wing: large volumes, pointed arches, exposed bricks. Today they are part of the tour circuit, but are preparing to welcome the production of the wines of the family winery: Rocca Rondinaria. The company produces natural, certified organic and biodynamic wines.
Interiors: the courtyard gives access to several rooms, once used as warehouses and agricultural rooms and today transformed into private apartments or B&B.
Climbed the Langa stone staircase, you enter the vast bright living room, facing south, now used for events and weddings. On one side, a small niche and an altar, a devotional area of the '700. Today it preserves a crib made using marine shells.
On the walls, the reproduction of some characters taken from the expulsion of the Proci, a fresco by Luca Cambiaso for the Genoese palace of the Grimaldi, called Palazzo della Meridiana. Among the portraits, Battista Grimaldi in the form of Ulysses.
Following a living room and a dining room, used to offer breakfast to the guests of the B&B of the castle. The apartments reserved for the family complete the main floor.
Other small apartments are intended for guests, in B & Bs or for tourist use for charming stays.
Garden: the plant dates back to the mid-700s when Battista Grimaldi III, having completed the majestic western facade, decided to expand the space in front of the castle and to create a splendid viewpoint over the Orba valley.
Recently restored, the garden is divided into 3 parts: the Italian garden, the forest or romantic garden and the secret garden, or medieval monastic.
Il castle of Rocca Grimalda It is placed in a dominant position on the large valley of the Orba and its construction has developed over the centuries around the majestic tower circular dating, presumably, at the end of the 1200 under the lordship of the Malaspina.
Included in the fief of the Marquis of the Monferrato, later passed to the marquesses of Gavi and, when in the 1431 territory is occupied militarily by Filippo Maria Visconti, duke of Milan, the castle, which still has an exclusively defensive function, is assigned to Gian Galeazzo Trotti, captain of fortune of the Duke, who begins the transformation of the building into noble residence.
In the 1570 the fief is bought from Battista Grimaldi, Genoese patrician, whose family retains the ownership of the castle for more than 250 years, completing its construction at the end of 1700 with its majestic western façade and the realization of the spectacular Italian garden. The presence of the Grimaldi, influential and lasting, transforms the former name of the country that finally becomes "Rocca Grimalda".
Today the castle belongs to a large family of ancient Ligurian and Piedmontese origins that restored the garden and the building, making it a comfortable residence for the owners and their guests.
The services of the Castle of Rocca Grimalda
The castle is open at visits, individual and group, all year, by reservation. Without reservation it can be visited according to the calendar published on the site of castles open (Www.castelliaperti.it). The visit is guided by the owners and includes the garden, the living room and the adjacent lounges, the Chapel and the cellars.
Hospitality is offered in the B&B in small apartments for 2 or 3 guests located inside the castle. Breakfast is served in a room on the main floor. I'm also available charming apartments for tourist use, for 4 or 6 people, equipped with kitchen and suitable for extended stays. Guests have access to the garden to read and converse and a large lawn to sunbathe in peace and find refreshment under an "artist's shower" on the hottest days.
It is also possible taste the wine produced bywinery company family "Rocca Rondinaria": pure dolcetto, certified organic and biodynamic.
Il big garden, the salon and the cellars occasionally host also weddings ed private events, in evocative and refined settings, where the family welcome and the charm of the "exclusivity" make the event unforgettable.
Places of interest nearby:
Acqui terme 23 km
Alexandria 30 km
Other castles in the province of Alessandria (Giarole, Piovera ...) 40 km
Asti 43 km
Campoligure (Museum of gold and silver filigree) 27 km
Cremolino castles, Prasco, morsasco, Orsara e Tagliolo 8 / km 20
GenoVa (museums, palaces and Aquarium) 50 km
Ovada (shops and supermarket) 5 km
Sezzadio - Abbey 24 km
Bosco Marengo - Santa Croce Complex 17 km
Gavi - the strong 18 km
Marengo (Al) - Napoleonic Museum 25 km
Torino e Milan 100 / 120 km
valence (artistic jewelry production) 60 km
Park of the Capanne di Marcarolo (excursions) 27 km
Sport: Golf, swimming pools, routes for motorcycles and bicycles
Liguria beach in the east and west at 50 km)
Spas and SPA - Acqui Terme 23 km