The Ruspoli Castle in Vignanello
"… The little known garden of the Ruspoli castle in Vignanello
owns the most beautiful parterre in Italy ..." (Georgina Masson, Italian Gardens)
In the 853, when Vignanello was part of the Papal state, the fortress was built by the Benedictine friars. Vignanello's first feudatory was Beatrice Farnese in 1531.
in 1536 Pope Paolo III Farnese at Beatrice's death he confirmed the descent to his daughter Ortensia, married to Sforza Marescotti.
The castle underwent a transformation according to the Ghibellini architectural schemes, on drawing of the Sangallo.
The castle at present is as he wanted it in the 1610 Ottavia Orsini, Wife of Marc'Antonio Marescotti, daughter of Vicino Orsini creator of the suggestive Garden of Bomarzo. It was she who created the Garden that is to be considered one of the most beautiful parterres in Italy.
In the 1704 the Castle takes its name Ruspoli: a descendant of the Marescotti family inherited the Ruspoli heritage, joining with Vittoria di Orazio Ruspoli from Siena, with the obligation to hand down the name.
Nowadays the castle is still the summer residence of the descendants of the Ruspoli family, Claudia and Giada, they still kept alive the love for the Castle and in particular for its enchanting garden.
In the Viterbo area, which boasts the highest concentration in the world of historic gardens, the Italian garden has reached its maximum expression e vignanello it is perhaps the most elegant, most sophisticated and most celebrated example in the world.
The property was formed around one rock of the Benedictine friars built in the year 853, when this territory belonged to the Pontifical State. The first feudatory was Beatrice Farnese in 1531, five years later, on his death, Pope Paolo III Farnese confirmed the descent to his daughter Ortensia, married to Sforza Marescotti.
The building underwent a transformation according to the Ghibelline architectural schemes, based on the design of the Sangallo. The castle as we see it today was wanted in 1610 by the wife of Marc'Antonio Marescotti, Ottavia Orsini, daughter of the creator of the suggestive Garden of Bomarzo, which left an indelible mark of his love for this place: his initials and those of his two sons Sforza and Galeazzo, thus allowing the certain dating of the birth of the garden.
In the 1704 the castle took its name Ruspoli, with the obligation to hand down the name and today is still the summer residence of descendants of the same family.
The attached garden hosts one of the most acclaimed parterre of the seventeenth century; the large flat and rectangular space is crossed in length and width by four avenues, which define twelve boxed parterres of aligned and squared that enclose in the center a large basin enclosed by four arches of balustrades.
These "Vegetable sculptures", originally sage and rosemary, give the place the clarity of an abstract geometric design. Despite the changes in style, especially at the end of the eighteenth century with the fashion of French broderies, the garden has remained miraculously intact.
At the Castle it is possible to celebrate private events
Visits to the Ruspoli Castle of Vignanello
Il Castello Ruspoli It is open every day for visits and events from the month of April until the month of December (January, February, March closed)
Summer Schedule: mattina 10:00/13:00, pomeriggio 15:00/18:00
Winter time: mattina 10:00/13:00, pomeriggio 14:30/17:00
The castle is open Saturday and Sunday
Openings on reservation in August
- Adults and children over 13 years, 10,00 euros
- Groups from minimum 25 people, 8,00 euros
- Children up to 13 years, 6,00 euros
- Children up to 5 years of age, free ticket
- Individual visit to the park and to the historic garden, 6,00 Euro
- Schools: 6,00 Euro students and teachers (one free guide for each 15 student)
The opening hours may change depending on the events held in the Castle
Telephone and Fax: 0761 755338
Mobile: 328 2038776
Places of interest nearby:
Villa Lante in Bagnaia, The Sacred Wood of Bomarzo, Palazzo Farnese in Caprarola, Viterbo, Monumental Complex of the Baths of the Popes in Viterbo, Civita di Bagnoreggio.