The Castle of Torre in Pietra at Fiumicino
Il Castle of Torre in Pietra it is a marvelous architectural complex of origin medieval, with important examples of architecture and painting from the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries.
The moat, the watchtower and the boundary walls that embrace the whole complex are still perfectly preserved, within which, in the course of the centuries, several important buildings were built and transformed.
It dominates over the whole seventeenth-century palace, placed at the center of the village inside which, going up to the main floor, you can admire the magnificent frescoes, the painter's work Pier Leone Ghezzi, who decorated the rooms with a sequence of landscapes, trompe l'oeuil, religious scenes, figures of nobles and clerics, allegorical figures, coats of arms, portraits of Cardinals and of Pope Benedict XIII.
In front of the building a large courtyard, partly paved with Roman paving, leads to two large gardens, shaded by plane trees and ancient pines, with an ancient fountain in the center.
On the right side overlooks the beautiful octagonal Church of S. Antonio Abate, eighteenth-century work of the famous architect Ferdinando Fuga, also decorated by Ghezzi.
On the left, on the ground floor of another building, you reach the vast Peretti Room, with its impressive vaulted ceiling and the beautiful fireplace, recently restored.
A belt of woods surrounds and protects the Castle that maintains its charming and secret character despite its proximity to the Via Aurelia and Rome.
The history of the Castle of Torre in Pietra
The current complex of buildings has medieval origins and was formed in the form of a castrum, a agricultural village fortified around one stately residence, according to a model of rural settlement widespread at the time in the Roman countryside; you can still see it today by observing the towers, bastion, ditch and boundary walls.
The first document describing this settlement with the ancient name of "Castrum Castiglionis" it is a testament that dates back to 1254, in which it is mentioned among the goods that a nobleman of the Roman family dei Normans Alberteschi bequeathed to one of his sons. It becomes property of the Anguillara and Massimo.
The name of Stone Tower, which derives from an isolated tower built on a stone rock near the castle, is indicated for the first time in a 1620 plant showing the estates of the Peretti principles.
In fact, in the 1590, the estate was purchased by Camilla Peretti, sister of Pope Sixtus V °, Michele Peretti, nephew of the Pope, commissioned the architect Francesco Peperelli the construction of a new noble residence on the ruins of the medieval castrum.
Al floor some rooms, according to the custom of the time, were covered with decorated leather panels, others frescoed. The building that we see today still preserves its seventeenth century structure almost intact and the Peretti coat of arms still stands on the entrance door.
But the high standard of life irremediably damaged their family heritage and so, in the 1639, the Peretti had to sell the castle and the estate to the prince Orazio Falconieri.
The Falconers, who had Tower in Stone between their possessions for more than two centuries, were powerful bankers who reached the height of power and wealth when in 1724 Alexander, nephew of Horace, was named Cardinal from the Pope Benedict XIII. Between the 1712 and 1725, Alessandro wanted to partially change the seventeenth-century appearance of the Castle, calling two talents of his time: the architect Ferdinando Fuga and the painter Pier Leone Ghezzi.
The medieval church was demolished and rebuilt following the design of the Fuga, who also designed the new entrance staircase to the palace. Both the church and the halls of the main floor were then frescoed by Ghezzi.
From 1870 the castle and the estate passed into the hands of numerous owners (i Carpegna, the The Florio family, the Agricultural Reclamation Company) and knew a long period of abandonment, until when in the 1926 they became the property of the Senator Luigi Albertini. He, having had to leave the Corriere della Sera direction for his opposition to fascism, dedicated all his resources to an impressive reclamation of the marshy lands, the start of a model farm, and the restoration of the castle, the church and of the village, assisted by the son Leonardo Albertini and from the son-in-law Nicolò Carandini.
We host photo sets e film, exhibitions e concerts, we organize weddings, events, galas, meetings, guided tours.
Weddings at the Castle of Torre in Pietra
The castle is the ideal place to celebrate religious marriages in the church dedicated to S. Antonio Abate and, thanks to the agreement with the Municipality of Fiumicino, the rite of the civil marriage.
For the wedding receptions, the gala dinners, but also for more familiar moments like communions, confirmations, anniversaries, we can accommodate up to 200 people sitting in the different rooms on the Piano Nobile, 160 in Peretti Room e 500 in garden.
For conferences , concerts, presentations e training days, 180 seats are available in the Sala Peretti and 90 in the Salone on the Piano Nobile and several rooms for smaller meetings.
Activity of team-building they can take place inside, in the garden, in the surrounding woods, in the cellar, and include cooking lessons, sporting, educational-cultural and recreational activities.
Visits to the castle and to the cellar
We also organize guided tours to the Castle and to the Church and, in collaboration with the Cellar, tastings of wines and guided tours of the Cellar.
Groups of Italian and foreign visitors can add to their trip to Italy a special stop in a private historical home where they can immerse themselves in art, culture and Italian cuisine.
Groups belonging to cultural associations and scholars can book a guided tour with a written request. The visits are reserved to groups of minimum 15 people.
The Castle is open to public for a free visit the first Monday of the month from 9.00 to 11.00.
The Church is open on Sundays and holidays for Holy Mass at 10.00
Reaching us is easy, we are on the Via Aurelia to 25 km from Rome, 3 km from the Rome-Civitavecchia highway, 19 km from Fiumicino Airport and 40 km from the Port of Civitavecchia.