An ancient palace in Buccino
Following the definitive transfer in the 80 years of the ancient Palazzo Nobiliare from the Caracciolo-Elefante families to the members of the Casina Elefante, an important restoration of the building was carried out which became necessary due to the aforementioned war events and the 1980 earthquake. The conservative restoration, also imposed by the observatory of the Superintendency of the Arts and protection of the Italian historical heritage (whose constraint was averted by the owners as they faced the absence of requests for tax and / or financial benefits from the State, obtained that the Superintendency did not register the Palace among the bound ones), was treated in detail, respecting the conservation and recovery of ancient materials and with a structural consolidation performed with modern techniques but totally careful not to damage the original architecture and aesthetics, safeguarding beyond the historical and valuable image of the ancient residence.
The Palace, in line with the construction techniques in force between the 1500 and 1700, has a supporting structure in stone, and in fact it can be seen in the storage room located on the basement floor, the only area currently not plastered (undergoing restoration to host the SPA).
Over the years the 80 the interventions aimed at making the structure functional and consolidating it, were clearly carried out in reinforced concrete, taking care, as previously stated, to leave intact (where possible) the ancient supporting structure.
The structure is perfectly the same for the three main floors, plus the attic, while the basement, dedicated to the kitchen and storage, occupies only a part of the area above
The structure is presented, viewed from above with a C-shaped shape, and the dimensions of the standard floor are approximately 720,00 square meters, which for the three type plans gives a total of 2.160,00 square meters.
To these we must add the approximately 800,00 square meters of the basement floor (now used as a kitchen, storage and services) in addition to the 700,00 square meters of the attic which gives a total of approx. 3.660,00.
These are the surfaces of the original structure.
To this we must add:
- about 450,00 square meters of the event hall, object of a subsequent building agreement regularly granted with building permit, equipped with windows on the sides and with bathroom on the left and a technical room used as a pizzeria;
- about 350 sqm for roof garden, events room in the pool, object of construction intervention in progress, right Permission to build 2019;
- about 100 sqm for "green house" located in the park.
To arrive at a total total of approx. 5.000, including approx. 500 808 particle working unit. 14 Sheet, Urban Land Registry Whelk, object of next recovery intervention.
The entrance centrally located on the main side, with its ancient stone portal, under the single balcony of the Palace (annexed to the Prince's apartment), has a reception furnished with antique furniture that leads to the ancient Chapel of family in which the ancient altar and paintings by Francesco SOLIMENA (the Madonna with the saints of the Caracciolo family) are still present, proceeding towards the main event / convention hall mentioned above, we find on the right a corridor that leads to the staircase leading to the upper floors and elevator, and towards a series of rooms used as relaxation rooms, at the bar.
On the left of the reception we find a corridor that gives access to a hallway (where you can admire a splendid example of fine art '800 painted on majolica from DE Ruta), which leads to the bathrooms on the ground floor, as well as to the restaurant and the service area of the same, as the office.
These are equipped with a ladder and a loaded mount that leads to the floor below, the basement referred to in the presentation, which serves as a kitchen, storage and services.
The two upper floors are almost specular and all rooms with bathrooms are occupied, with to the right of the lift two large rooms with fireplace, used as a reading room, tea room and relaxation room with an ancient billiard table.
The top floor is the attic, temporarily used as a storage area for tools.
The hotel is therefore presented with a total of No. 29 rooms divided by floors; at the 1 ° Piano we have 14 Rooms of which 8 Matrimoniali, 2 Suite, 1 Single, 2 Triple and 1 Quadruple, while the 2 ° Piano presents 15 Rooms with 8 Matrimonial, 1 Single, 5 Triple and 1 Quadruple. The hotel policy has quadruple exclusions in favor of additional suites.
The history of Eliceto has distant roots, we find its presence in official documents starting from the XI century, in the late Lombard and Norman periods, from when we began to know the name of the feudal lords who kept the hill for the following centuries.
It was at the time of the Angevin Kings that Eliceto began to revive thanks to the new masters of the lands between Buccino and Sicignano, the Caracciolo del Leone, who built the first nucleus of what would later become the "Casina" in the 1494. The oldest part of the building consisted of a vaulted vault and a vaulted room whose rooms are still recognizable. Certainly the building of the building was enlarged between the 1500 and the 1700 and brought to its current size, accentuating the aspects of the "Casino di Caccia". In that period a seventeenth-century external “forceps” (horseshoe) staircase was built, typical of the buildings of the time, subsequently eliminated. It was the era of the construction of the most noble and prestigious Neapolitan Palaces
A further change was the construction, the era of the Caracciolos faded, when the possessions of Eliceto passed, at the end of the 800 in the hands of the Elefante family that transformed the Hunting Residence into an elegant Country Villa, used for leisure and pleasures bucolic of the new owners. Ownership from 1891 to 1894 underwent the following changes of ownership:
- in the 1891 it was purchased, through an auction, by Costanza de Rosa, daughter of Donna Franceschina Caracciolo;
- in the 1894, the Eliceto large landed estate reported to the Buccino land registry for an extension of 462 hectares, was assigned by the Court of Salerno to Gennaro Elefante, a Neapolitan noble banker, for a consideration of Lire 89.605 (the five lire were the rise on the base price of auction). Certainly the noble Elephant was pushed to the purchase of the estate, for emotional and conservation reasons of the property held by the Caracciolos for about 4 centuries, as the wife of Gennaro Elefante, Maria Francesca, was however a descendant of the Caracciolos, daughter of Antonino Giusso of the Caracciolo Duca del Galdo. At the end of the XIX century the Eliceto Palace underwent further and significant transformations following the important restoration interventions (roof, paintings and decorations, majolica floors - still present in some areas of the Palace -, fixtures and services) realized by the Architect Mario Pignatelli Strongoli (among the most accredited Neapolitan architects) cousin of the new owner Gennaro Elefante. The cost of the renovation cost L. 6.000,00, a very important figure for the time. Suffice it to say that the average monthly wage of a worker was in L. 25,00. A few years later, the coach house (now known as the Donna Lulè restaurant) was built and the old cellar of the 1.400 (current local SPA) was renovated. The building was completely furnished in respect of the "Belle Epoque" style in vogue between the late '800 beginning' 900. Maria Francesca Caracciolo and Gennaro Elefante had thus transformed the "Casino di Caccia" into a refined "Country Residence".
The image of the Palace, following the restructuring, with its L-shaped form, is the same as it was until the 1980, when, following the posthumous restructuring of the 80 earthquake, it resumed the original C-shape, currently visible.
This glorious past, which lasted until the outbreak of the great war, was the last period of splendor of Eliceto, more and more immersed in the nature that surrounded it, camouflaging itself even if it dominated, even sharing, becoming part of the landscape, no longer a foreign element to awakening of the spring, to the flowering of the fields, to the sounds of the forest, to the scents of the green, to the warm spring evenings dotted with fireflies that completed the sense of serenity and peace that hovered.
The twenty years between the two world wars saw again the "Casina" seat of the Elefante family's entertainments, but in the 1943 the villa lived its last traumatic adventure. During their retreat to the Gustav Line, the Germans briefly occupied the facility, taking advantage of its size and enviable strategic position. The definitive abandonment of the Casina, by the heirs and descendants of the Caracciolos, was a consequence of the 23 November 1980 earthquake, when the ancient family decided to sell it to the "Casina Elefante" Company.
Resort - A la Carte catering with organic products - HB and FB catering - Meeting and Events rooms - All types of ceremonies - Civil ceremony with legal value - Infinity pool - Jacuzzi Jacuzzi pools - SPA - Roof garden - Riding ground - Farm for farm didactics and experiences for guests with oil tasting of our oil mill, recreation room - gym - reading room - bar inside the Resort and Pool Bar
UNESCO sites nearby
Ancient village of Campagna - Cave of San Michele in Olevano sul Tusciano - Archaeological Area of Paestum - Contursi Terme - WWF Oasis of Persano - Arechi Castle, Cathedral of San Matteo and Diocesan Museum of Salerno - Antica Volcei di Buccino - Pertosa Caves in Auletta - Certosa di Padula