Isola Bella on Lake Maggiore
THEbeautiful island it is a surprising place thanks to recurrent and priceless blooms art treasures that blend in a harmonious microcosm. Transformed from rock to flowered garden today the island appears as a vessel that floats on the blue waters of the Lake Maggiore as well as in the intent of its founder Vitaliano VI Borromeo. Visiting this place will allow you to immerse yourself for a day in a bygone era where the baroque taste mixes virtuously with the green architecture of the garden creating a marriage that has no equal. The Isola Bella palace is a treasure chest ofbaroque art suspended over the water.
will cross saloni elegantly furnished with beautiful views of the lake, around you famous paintings artists, furniture of great value, marbles, neoclassical stuccos, ancient sculptures, armor and Flemish tapestries of gold and silk.
Il garden dell 'beautiful island it is a paradise where statues and architectural decorations alternate with geometries and botanical preciousness. The trusted gardeners prune, fertilize, experiment, preserving this place of enchantment from the passage of time. At the gates of the garden a large one camphor for almost two hundred years it has welcomed visitors who have crossed the great gate and find the splendor of the Amphitheater that scenically occupies the central part of the island. The Italian garden of baroque taste spread over parterres and terraces placed at different heights and alternating statues, obelisks, stairways and stone balustrades that create a scenographic system designed to symbolize the power of the noble family.
Il visitor even today it can travel i avenues of the garden up to the top of the largest terrace, the real command station of the island from which to admire the expanse of the lake and the charm of this garden forged by man.
It took almost four hundred years and the teamwork of hundreds of qualified architects, engineers, stucco workers, painters and cabinet makers who have succeeded each other over the centuries to give rise to the extraordinary transformation of thebeautiful island from cliffs lapped by the waters of the lake in place of delights.
Until the 1630 thebeautiful island it was a rock inhabited by fishermen, with two small churches and some vegetable gardens. THE Borromeo already owners ofMother island from the 1501, from the first twenty years of the seventeenth century with Julius Caesar III e Charles III focus their interests onbeautiful island starting the great project that will lead to the creation of the palazzo and garden. This intent will be carried forward, expanded and defined by Vitaliano VI in all respects considered the founder of 'beautiful island. The works that led to the current structure continue without interruption even later throughout the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries up to 1948 when with Vitaliano IX Borromeo the new hall, the northern façade and the large pier are built.
Services at Isola Bella:
Beautiful island It is open every day from the 24 March to the 22 October 2017.
Every day from 9.00 to 17.30 (last entry).
Inside you can find a bookshop where to buy books and guides, postcards, prints and souvenirs.
A comfortable and panoramic cafeteria it is available along the tour route.
Phone: 0323 30556