• IT | EN

Palace in Palazzo Albertoni Spinola

History and charm in the center of Rome
Search this site
Search this site
Advanced Search
No products found 0 results
Your search results

Palace in Palazzo Albertoni Spinola

City:
Region:
Full price property € 4.50 / day

Get in touch with the Historic House

Palace in Palazzo Albertoni Spinola in Rome

The Palazzetto inside Palazzo Albertoni Spinola It was designed by the great Renaissance architect Giacomo della Porta. He was one of the most important Italian architects and sculptors, who most influenced his time, worked with prestigious names and finished the Dome of St. Peter, after the death of michelangelo. Its genial imprint is revealed first of all through the integration of two units, the original structure of the Palazzetto with the subsequent one of the Palace, which allow the ancient Palazzetto to enter the new building keeping the original perspective of the view of the church of Santa Maria in Campitelli, the perfect integration of the secret garden of the Palazzetto with the new structure, creating a unique architectural harmony.

The Palazzetto is composed of three luxury suites, independent but connected to each other. The three residences share common parts located on the ground floor, such as the lobby / security services and the Office-business, and each has its own uniqueness that make this place of residence un masterpiece of the Renaissance. You can access the houses from different entrances that allow absolute privacy: through the main monumental staircase of the Palace, or from the Vicolo Capizucchi from Piazza Capizucchi, or from the private entrance on the ground floor of the Palace, using the internal spiral staircase.

La Garden Suite di 351 m2 it is located on the first floor of the Palazzetto, with entrance from the first landing of the monumental staircase. The exclusive secret garden of 177 m2 it is the jewel of the residence. There is another private entrance on the ground floor from the alley Capizucchi. The suite consists of four bedrooms, three bathrooms, living room, different lounge areas, dining room and kitchen with both having access to hanging garden.

The Residence it is beautifully furnished and decorated with the original 800 ceilings.

The second and third residence, named respectively Ambassador di 325 m2 ed Executive Suite di 159 m2 they are located on the second floor and on the mezzanine floor of the building. The suites are independent but connected. There are two entrances to the second landing of the monumental staircase and another private entrance from the ground floor. The large and beautiful terraces, the smallest size 70 m2, are the main features of these suites that boast a total 6 bedrooms, 5 bathrooms, a wide one reception hall, dining room, Several relaxation spaces and a kitchen. Both suites are directly connected with the panoramic terrace on the roof of the building, with its splendid view across the whole of Rome: from the dome of San Pietro, from the altar of the Patria to the Bocca della Verità.

This architectural masterpiece is enriched by a small collection of six busts that were part of the Paluzzi Albertoni collection (one in the entrance hall across the courtyard and the other above the monumental stairs) and various frescoes both in the Private chapel, which in the ground floors connected to Ambassador suite ed Executive, and from a low relief in the garden.

The total area is about 1500 m2, including up to 10 bedrooms, 8.5 bathrooms, 3 kitchens, dining rooms, living rooms, lounge area, an private garden, various terraces, a small chapel, and one panoramic terrace breathtaking with an attic of 86 m2, in heart of the historic center of Rome.

History

Palazzo Albertoni Spinola and the rear Palazzetto are located in the X district, with entrance from Piazza Campitelli n. 2, from Piazza Capizzucchi and vicolo Capizzucchi.

The facade of the Palazzo Grande on Piazza Campitelli was built between the 1603 and the years immediately following, with some interventions in the back of the 1616.

The work was commissioned by the Marquis Baldassarre Paluzzi Albertoni initially to Giacomo della Porta (about 1540-1602), then continued and finished by Girolamo Rainaldi (1570-1655), in an area likely to rebuild between the De Rossi buildings (later Cavalletti ) and Capizucchi.

Della Porta's work concerned the design and construction of the supporting structures and internal partitions of the large building in the years between the 1560 and the 1580 and in particular, subsequently, the project, finished by Reinaldi at the death of Della Porta presents the particularities described in the previous section.

In 1603 the Cavaliere Baldassarre Paluzzi Albertoni asks for the license to build the new façade, widening the area of ​​the existing properties towards the square and aligning the new wall with the cantonal of the adjoining Palazzo Capizucchi.

In 1616 an additional license is required to execute, through Reinaldi, the project of the then disappeared Della Porta and to make over the back door of his palace an arch that passes over the alley and allow the passage to his 'neighboring houses' where further renovations were carried out (this is the arched passage built at the back, outside the building at the level of the first floor).

So from the beginning the two buildings then integrated, belonged to a single property, then passed from family to family.

The presence of the Albertoni family is recalled in the Campitelli square, precisely in the smaller buildings whose entrance door '' framed '' the front of the Church of Santa Maria in Campitelli. The family crest with the passing lion is present in the palace, both above the entrance portal, on the architrave and the niches along the stairs, and in the frieze under the cornice of the main façade in which there are other lions passing and roe deer.

The heirs of the Paluzzi Albertoni family adopted from 21 October 1671 the surname and weapons of the Altieri and the title of Principles at the behest of Emilio Altieri (1590-1676), raised in 1670 to the Supreme Pontificate with the name of Clement X. the wealth of the Altieri merged into the assets of the descendants Paluzzi Albertoni with the name Altieri.

The Palazzo di Piazza Campitelli, remained to the renewed lineage of the Altieri for more than a century, was raised by a fourth floor on the attic and in the 1808 around sold by Prince Paluzzi Altieri to the famous Spanish general, administrator of the Royal Crown of Spain heritage, Manuel Godoy and Alvares de Faria Rios Sanchez Zarzosa Prince de la Paz de Basano (1767-1851).

The palace soon became the property of Cardinal Bartolomeo Pacca (1756-1844) who resided there occasionally at least from the 1819. At the death of Pacca, the palace of Piazza Campitelli remained to his nephews for about fifty years, who rented it in part to their acquaintances, including the Cardinals Giacomo Piccolomini and Giacomo Antonelli.

Subsequently, in the 1886, the Palace was sold by the descendants Pacca to the Countess Carolina Portalupi (1852-1891) who restored it, leaving it to its direct descendants, the Genoese Marquis Spinola including Maria Antonietta Spinola who then marries the well-known politician Mario Cingolani ( 1883-1971).

The restoration of the Palace was essential because the complex was in a poor state of conservation, a result of years of neglect.

The works mainly involved parts of the courtyard, the stairs and the interiors. Walls, arches and vaults were strengthened, reinforced and reconstructed attics and floors, sheltered the cornice, roofs and terraces, completely renovated the steps and floors of the landings of the main staircase, renewed many ceilings, especially the decorated ones, the tapestry of the walls of the interior rooms, doors and windows.

Interventions related to a more regular distribution of water and the renovation of the baths are also documented. The new balcony built on the south-east side, covered with glass and probably the raising of the third floor towards Palazzo Cavalletti, date back to this period. The works were consistent, but left the structure of the Palace unchanged.

In the palace there is still a small series of six heads portrayed - one in the entrance hall after the courtyard and the other five along the stairs - which were part of the ancient collection of Albertoni Paluzzi, collectors of ancient works of art. The Paluzzi Albertoni collection merged from '600 with that Altieri, already remarkable, going to enrich the family building and other Altieri properties including the villas at the Esquilino and Porta Salaria.

The busts in Palazzo Albertoni Spinola are: "two ancient marble heads - one of a young woman and one of Antinoo - integrated into several parts, another ancient marble head - a priest of Isis - reworked during the Renaissance as a portrait of Publius Cornelio Scipione Africano, two portraits of Renaissance reconstruction in marble - one by Gaius Julius Caesar and another probably by Hesiod or by Zeno Eleate and a plaster cast of the head of Julius Caesar (probably by the Pacca and not by the Paluzzi) taken from the preserved statue in the Palazzo Senatorio sul Campidoglio ".

In the 2006 the conditions of the Palace and of the Palazzetto were assessed and, after having prepared an important project, great conservation and plant engineering interventions were carried out, completed in the 2007 that have given back to this Renaissance masterpiece the deserved aspect.

The services of the Palazzetto in Palazzo Albertoni Spinola in Rome

Owner's welcome: introduction to Palazzo Albertoni Spinola.

Tips on the best way to experience the city, Places to visit such as museums and major monuments, events to see and a variety of other recreational activities available.

Organization of city sightseeing, reservations for restaurants, theaters, museums and car rental and to assist guests for all their requests; Domestic cleaning services.

24 business center hours on 24 to keep in touch with your activities.

24 customer support hours on 24 by telephone and personal assistance

Internet
Pets allowed
Park or garden
Price: Full price property € 4.50 / day
Bedrooms: 10
Beds: 16
Events Salons: 6
Places For Events: 30
Set In Outdoors: No
Set In Interior: No
Set In Garden: No
Vehicles accessibility for Events: No
Phone: 06.6787433
Address: Piazza di Campitelli, 2
City:
Region:
Postal Code: 00186
Country: Italy
Phone: 06.6787433

Get in touch with the Historic House

Compare Listings