Palazzo Boncompagni, historic building in Bologna
Palazzo Boncompagni now Benelli is located right in the center of Bologna, it is in this palace that Cardinal Ugo Boncompagni was born and lived up to the papal throne, then became Pope with the name of Gregory XIII: he is responsible for the reform of the Julian calendar with the establishment of the new Gregorian calendar.
The original core of the building was started by Cristoforo Boncompagni before the 1537 and completed in 1539 as confirmed by a plaque on the front. If the design of the original nucleus of the palace could be of Peruzzi (Sienese architect died in 1536) for the completion and ornamentation of the building, both inside and outside, the sons of Cristoforo, Ugo and Boncompagno, it is probable that they turned to Jacopo Barozzi (called il Vignola) returned to Bologna in the 1543 from France under the protection of Paul III. The spiral staircase and the end of the loggia with the access portal to the staircase for their vigor and maturity both figurative and structural, make Vignola think; the decoration on top of the window above the door is similar to those that Vignola designed for the Palazzo dei Banchi.
The large hall on the ground floor where cardinal Ugo Boncompagni, later Pope, received the public is adorned with a beautiful and rare fireplace in pietra serena probably made to a design by Pellegrino Tibaldi, who then painted in the second half of the 1500 with his students, the frescoes of the vault and the sopracamino.
In 1575, Jubilee Year, Pope Gregory XIII Boncompagni witnessing the affection for his hometown commissioned a fresco found in the Sala Bologna in the heart of the Apostolic Palaces between the Pope's private apartments and the offices of the Secretariat of State. The fresco represents the city of Bologna with all its buildings, streets and walls. in it the only non-religious building that appears with a golden roof, it is the Palazzo Boncompagni.
The history of Palazzo Boncompagni
The design of the original nucleus of Palazzo Boncompagni is presumed to be the work of the architect Baldassarre Tommaso Peruzzi (born in Siena, 1481-1536), but its completion and ornamentation must be referred to Jacopo Barozzi, known as Vignola (1507-1573).
The latter, architect and theorist, one of the most important exponents of Mannerism, is famous for the construction of buildings of great elegance, and for having defined with extreme clarity the concept of 'architectural order' in his famous Rule of the Five Orders of Architecture, one of the most influential and widespread architectural treatises of all time.
For their vigor and maturity, both figurative and structural, are attributed to Vignola both the splendid spiral staircase and the end of the loggia with the access portal to the staircase; the decoration on top of the window, above the door, looks similar to those that Vignola designed for Palazzo dei Banchi (Bologna).
In 1575, Jubilee Year, Pope Gregory XIII Boncompagni commissioned, as evidence of affection for his hometown, a fresco depicting the map of Bologna, located in the Hall of the same name in the heart of the Apostolic Palaces, between the Pope's private apartments and offices of the Secretariat of State: among all, the only non-religious building that appears with a golden roof, it is Palazzo Boncompagni.
Services: location for events and weddings in Bologna
Palazzo Boncompagni It is an exclusive location for events planning, in a prestigious historic residence in the historic center of Bologna. The 'Sala del Papa' can be dedicated to special and exclusive events such as conferences, conferences, business dinners, private parties (even until late evening).
The availability of use of the loggia with precious decorated columns, which leads to the entrance of the spiral staircase attributed to Vignola, is included.