The Borio palace in Orzinuovi
Palazzo Borio is a small eighteenth-century stately home that could be defined as the Italian equivalent of a 'Hotel Particulier' of a small provincial town.
Worthy of mention are: lo neoclassical staircase, neogothic corridor of the first floor and the Sala Rosa, nice example of Lombard rococo, with the walls frescoed with fake pink silk damask and with the ceiling bearing, also fresco, four medallions, one for each side of the room, the two on the short sides reproducing the figures of 'Turks', those on the longer sides of the landscapes silvestri.
The history of the Borio palace
It is thought that Palazzo Borio it was the first residential nucleus of the noble family of the Corniani, whose historical information dates back to the year 1000 before the foundation of Orzinuovi itself.
Towards the end of the 800th century the palace was bought by the Noble Giacomo Borio di Tigliole, mayor of Orzinuovi, whose family, coming from Piedmont, had taken a room in the city for some time.
He was the son of the latter, Gaetano Borio, which provided, in the 1926, on the occasion of his wedding with the Noble Ercolina Maffeis, to paint the dome of the staircase and the corridor of the ground floor by a well-known local artist, Mario Manera.
visits: free on reservation
Places of interest nearby:
Rocca San Giorgio of Orzinuovi, Castle of Padernello