The Armellini Cesi palace in Rome
Palazzo Cesi-Armellini is the parent company of the 1882 Salvatorian Fathers and Brothers that here reside.
The building, with its elegant facade overlooking via della Conciliazione it was built for the cardinal Francesco Armellini at the beginning of500 on the area where the Seneca's house on the ancient via Cornelia.
To allow you to get to know this place rich in history, art and spirituality, the building is open to the public.
The visit starts from the inner courtyard and then crosses the gallery of frescoes, library e the chapel large with ceilings and paintings of the 500, the chapel and the small museum of the founder of the Congregation of the Salvatorians, Father Francesco Jordan.
Finally, the splendid terrace with a unique view on the Dome of St. Peter.
Visitors, through free donations, can support i missionary projects of the Salvatorians in Africa, Asia and Latin America.
The history of the Armellini Cesi palace
It was built for the cardinal Francesco Armellini at the beginning of500 on the area where the Seneca's house on the ancient via Cornelia.
Purchased from Angelo and Pier Donato Cesi (the latter, Cardinal, also known for having made important public works, such as the Archiginnasio in Bologna), was completely renovated, between the 1570 and 1577, from the great architect Martino Longhi the Elder.
The transformation into the elegant Renaissance residence is partly preserved until today.
In 1600 it is a dwelling of Federico Cesi The founder ofAccademia dei Lincei.
But Palazzo Cesi-Armellini was also one of the main places in recent history.
During the second World Warin fact, the Father Superior Pancrazio Pfeiffer, pope's emissary of trust Pius XII, he worked to save the lives of many people, hiding them in the Palace.
Between 1943 and 1944, lot of political, partisans ed Jews persecuted by the Nazis, they found shelter there.
Prices visits: donation to support missions
Private events (max 25 pax in the library and on the terrace): to be agreed
Hours of visits: only visits by reservation for groups of at least 10 people
Possibility of celebrating private religious services in the large chapel
Sofia Onlus Foundation
Contact: Marina Saponara