Palazzo la Marmora: events and hospitality in Biella
With its fifteenth-century Ottagonal Tower and the imposing neoclassical façade in pastel colors, Palazzo La Marmora it is part of the urban fabric of the Piazzo, the ancient village of Biella, almost suspended halfway between the first spurs of the Alps and the open space of the plain.
For eight centuries the Palace is the home of the Marquises Ferrero della Marmora, today Mori Ubaldini of Alberti La Marmora. It is a complex, living space, in which the intimate and everyday aspects of domestic life have always been mixed with the alternating events of history.
It is an example of House Museum that has preserved its uniqueness from an architectural point of view through the centuries, but also furnishings, paintings and archives that testify both the events of the different generations of the owner family, and aspects of the history, art and customs of the various eras.
At Palazzo La Marmora you move between unpredictable spaces and unexpected views.
After the courtyard and the Oval entrance, you will be struck by the wonder of light and colors of the Winter Garden, a double-column portico, closed at the end of the nineteenth century by tall windows, overlooking the Renaissance plant garden. In the Winter Garden a magnificent bicentennial example of Ficus repens covers an entire wall, spreading its branches, shaped into festoons and bells, along the curves of the vault in a play of lights, perspectives, shapes that changes according to the hours and seasons. Beyond the cast-iron windows, the garden is revealed, a space that is at once intimate and collected like a cloister, yet open as far as the eye can see over the city and the Po Valley. From the top of the small square tower, in the middle of the building, the view sweeps to 360 degrees on a breathtaking scenery.
In the monumental rooms, frescoes, furniture and furnishings will tell you the characters lived in the house: from Sebastiano Ferrero, General of Finance of the Duchy of Milan in 1500, Ambassador Filippo Ferrero della Marmora who sealed regal weddings between Piedmont and France in 1700 ; from Raffaella, mother of the generals La Marmora del Risorgimento, to the descendants of Leon Battista Alberti, who arrived here in the 1899; from the Conti Cavazza family of Bolognese origin to Guglielmo Alberti, a twentieth century humanist, intellectual, writer, music and film critic.
For the past thirty years Palazzo La Marmora, on the initiative of the family, it is an open dwelling. hosts weddings, private and corporate events. Offers tourist hospitality in the apartments of the Le Scuderie residence. IS' visited by groups, individuals or students all year round. And it can become one exclusive film location It is surprising.
The history of Palazzo la Marmora
Palazzo La Marmora is a substantial core of the borgo del Piazzo in Biella, place where the first settlements are traced back to the 1160. At that date the town of Biella Piano was already substantial and the Bishops of Vercelli promulgated an edict that offered privileges to those who had moved on the morainic hill above.
The mythology of the Ferrero family of Marmora wants a branch of the Acciaiuoli of Florence to have taken up residence in Biella with the name of Ferrero around the 1100 and that with an act of Federico Barbarossa of the 1165 they were allowed to inquart the tongue and membrate lion of the coat of arms with the double-headed eagle 'Empire.
If we stick to the verifiable data we find documents that are three centuries later on the origins of the Ferrero al Piazzo houses: these are the cadastral consignments made by Besso Ferrero in 1450, 1459 and 1466.
A historic building in Biella
Palazzo La Marmora is a complex building, composed of elevated buildings in different eras that is divided into 5 courtyards and the garden, now belonging to the current owners Mori Ubaldini of Alberti La Marmora by hereditary; it is a historical residence and a national monument subject to the constraint, according to a provision of the 1908 registered in the 1943.
Recent studies have been able to document that, over the generations, the Palazzo has developed through a series of acquisitions of buildings that were only later integrated with the Ferrero family complex. If some parts of the building can be recognized as dating back to the second half of the fourteenth century, the Palazzo changes through a network of interventions, additions and modifications dating from the 1600 to the second half of the 1700.
Only with Celestino Ferrero (1754 - 1805) and the intervention he wanted by the Turin architect Filippo Castelli (1738 - 1808) is manifested a unifying and rationalizing will, whose most conspicuous signs are the large neoclassical façade on Corso del Piazzo, the access courtyard, the Oval entrance and the staircase, while the most precious one is a ballroom on the upper floor, decorated by the Galliari brothers' workshop.
The distinctive element is then the Torre dei Masserano or Sebastiano Ferrero. High 32 meters octagonal, was built in the second half of the 1400 by Sebastiano Ferrero, one of the most influential Biellese nobles of his era, who held both the office of Treasurer of the Duchy of Savoy, and Chief of Finance of the Duchy of Milan.
During the 1800 the Ferrero della Marmora realize some interventions to improve existing buildings or add new functions.
The facade of the Palace has been completely restored between the 2015 and the 2016.
Services: weddings, gala events, meetings and corporate events in Biella
For thirty years, experts in hospitality and in step with innovation, Palazzo La Marmora combines charm, exclusiveness and elegance with competence and flexibility.
The dedicated spaces are: five frescoed rooms with antique furnishings; the Winter Garden, ie a green, wide and heated greenhouse connected to the garden; the furnished and heated spaces of the Scuderie; a large garden open to a terrace overlooking the city, suitable for various furnishing solutions.
These spaces can accommodate up to 300 people and are usable 12 months a year.
The service areas, including a large kitchen equipped with cold storage, and the spaces for guests are arranged in such a way as to make the activity of the various suppliers (catering, floral decorations, technical services, etc.) easier.
Palazzo La Marmora collaborates with a team of selected professionals, but without exclusive relationship and therefore accepts external collaborations.
The Palace can be reached by heavy means of service, with the possibility to park in the inner courtyards.
Nearby is the free public parking "Borgo del Piazzo" with 134 parking spaces in silos and numerous outside.
Residence Le Scuderie
Overlooking one of the five courtyards of the Palace, the apartments of the residence are an oasis of peace in the ancient heart of Biella. The Lo Stalliere and the Coachman apartments host 2 to 4 people, while the Barn can host up to 5. In all the apartments there is a kitchenette with a fridge and a small amount of crockery and cutlery. Bed and bath linen is provided. Weekly change and cleaning service. The residence has a private car entrance with the possibility of parking in the inner courtyard.
Availability for outdoor / indoor shots and garden. Accessibility for heavy equipment transport vehicles.
Sunday afternoons from June to October, during local and national annual events (Giornata Adsi and similar), all year round by appointment.