• IT | EN

Palazzo Puccini

A charming residence in the center of Pistoia
Site Search
Site Search
Advanced Search
No products found 0 results
Your search results

Palazzo Puccini

€ 85 / day
Residenza Puccini Residenza Puccini Residenza Puccini

Get in touch with the Historic House

Palazzo Puccini in Pistoia

Palazzo Puccini Historic Residence, open to hospitality from the year 2010 and completely renovated and in the furnishings and management between the end of 2016 and the beginning of 2017, offers its guests 9 rooms with private bathroom, an elegant lounge and a large and bright breakfast room.
Located on the first floor of what was once the birthplace of the Niccolò Puccini scholar and philanthropist Niccolò Puccini, is articulated along the entire first floor of the Palace and is accessible as much from the staircase of honor - monumental staircase built between the 1781 and the 1785 on the occasion of the renovation of the private apartments of a branch of the Puccini family - as by means of a convenient elevator.
The Dimora is articulated along two main axes, one that from the reception - a time vain suited to private worship - moves to the rooms that were the accommodation of Niccolò child and his brothers, the other, the most sought after in terms of pictorial decoration, which instead runs along the corridor that leads to public spaces, ie the current reading room and the breakfast room, once a dining room and hall of paintings, rooms of representation where the family of Niccolò Puccini received the his guests and showed, through the refined decorations of the walls as well as the vaults, his own comfort and his own culture and artistic sensibility.
Guests who choose to stay at the Puccini Historical Residence are offered a bed and breakfast service.
The 9 rooms available to them (from single to quadripla or in any case family) are all highly customized, none the same, both frescoed and unframed, boasting refined period furnishings and decor details that aim to recreate that family warmth that once characterized the entire house and which unfortunately, for a long time, was lost due to the disorderly fragmentation suffered over the centuries by the building that, until the end of the last century, had been divided into several houses.
At the charm of the time, the Dimora Puccini today joins high-hospitality services: breakfast with fresh products prepared every morning, freshly baked pastries, organic jams and fruit, cereals, biscuits and toasted sandwiches; coffee station in all superior rooms; high speed wifi; Flat-screen TVs in every room; air conditioning and private parking in the immediate vicinity.

The history of Palazzo Puccini

Palazzo Puccini owes its name to the family of the same name from Pistoia, whose presence in the city seems to date, as evidenced by more archival research, at the beginning of the fifteenth century.
The formation, as well as the subsequent expansion of the urban residence of the Puccini, known as their City Palace, is in direct relationship with the social ascent of this family that from the "bourgeois" class, between the fifteenth and seventeenth centuries, passes to that " patrician".
A slow ascent that underwent a particular acceleration in the seventeenth century, thanks to the figure of Nofri di Giuseppe (1588-1666), "doctor, physician and philosopher" to whom, among the many merits and the many initiatives, the definition is of the Puccini coat of arms.
The great wealth accumulated with the medical profession was invested by him and for the purchase of land holdings and for the purchase in Pistoia, in the care of St. Paul, of some houses - original nucleus of what is now Palazzo Puccini - arranged along an articulated perimeter between the current via del Can Bianco, vicolo della Vignaccia, piazzetta Santo Stefano and vicolo Malconsiglio.
In his idea, the acquisition of the property of an urban area extended within a whole block - to be able to be modified according to the expansion needs of the building that was to rise - would have allowed to gather the family, to locate it exactly in a quadrant of the city , to reach a status symbol and to implement, among the members of the family, the communion of goods.

The unification and combination of these buildings, of five different building units, would have allowed to form, for subsequent interventions conducted between late seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, the "palace of the city" of Puccini, an urban residence of traditional style in the manner of the nobles Florentine and Pistoian families, a palace with a history and a facade of Renaissance grandeur that would have credited the new patrician family.
The expansion and careful maintenance of the building continued until the second half of the eighteenth century when in addition to the rooms inhabited by the family improvements were made to the service areas such as cellars, stables, barns and sheds that were on the ground floor, adjacent to the vegetable garden .

From an inventory of the 1772 the Palace was inhabited on the first floor by the Puccini, who occupied the thirteen rooms in the central body, while the second floor of the building, ie the attic, and the mezzanine floor above the stable and the shed was intended to servitude. The same building shows that it was also served by good cellars, outbuildings and various service rooms.
It was in the 1774 that the building was tripartite among the heirs Puccini, Giuseppe, Tommaso and Niccolò, of these, Joseph was the one who decided to review in a functional and harmonious way the whole building, entrusting to an architect of remarkable stature the task of redesign the building, increase its spaces and resume, extend and regularize the Renaissance facade of the façade.

Between 1781 and 1783, in view of the wedding (April 1785) by Giuseppe Puccini with the wealthy patrician Maddalena Brunozzi, the accurate arrangement of the main floor and the construction of the grand staircase were made. To these years and to those immediately succeeded they go up also the pictorial decorations of the various rooms, among which those of the vault of the room in angle between vicolo Malconsiglio and Via Can White - the same where in the façade insisted the family crest with the inscription that remembered 'extension of the building finished in 1783 - where the beautiful polychrome rose window and four pendants adorned with the figure of an eagle with wings spread show that this room had been destined to the firstborn Domenico.

About the two adjoining rooms, still in the façade, from the reading of the decoration of the vaults one can deduce that they were almost certainly destined to the girls Chiara, Laura and Elisabetta (the reversal balza to the vaulted ceiling depicts the alternation of triglyphs and elegant little plants with berries on a pink background) and the other to the other two male heirs, Antonio and Niccolò (in this case the revolving balza and the center of the vault are decorated with printed motifs
depicting baby dolls and blue elephants and a flight of delicate butterflies.
On the contrary, the decorations of the newlyweds' quarters and the adjoining hall, called the hall of paintings, are both present at the 1797, both were decorated with a fireplace and embellished with elegant and refined decorations of classical taste by the painter Luigi Mecherini and the gilder Vangucci. delicate palmette borders that frame the landscapes that decorate the walls like tapestries. While the ceiling of the dining room recalls the motif of the classical landscape present in the lunettes, that of the still lifes and of the illusionistic architectural perspectives, in the hall of paintings - which had to host the family collection - the decoration interested exclusively ceiling, which still today has an impressive lacunar pattern with a design of fake stone framing like a chest of drawers. As for the walls, however, as confirmed by the tests carried out during the restorations, it was simply chosen to color them with cream with an overlap of green flowers in stamps reminiscent of Renaissance fabrics, a decoration of sober pleasantness that should not be disturbing to the overlapping and contemplating the precious paintings and blades of the Puccini family.

Also in the 1797 Luigi Mecherini decorated the bedroom of the couple Puccini with motifs at the time in vogue, "all'etrusca", a style that partly linked up with still life with antique vases of the dining room and partly, as in the overlapping, it hybridized in a more original way, not only in the Ancient but also in the Renaissance: light veils that created the illusion of sober drapery on the walls and on the vault, red figures on a black background.
Probably the choice of Mecherini as an artist and of the type of decoration of the Palace were the work of the councils that Giuseppe received from his brother Tommaso, an expert in art and director of the 1793 of Galelria degli Uffizi. A cultured and refined man, probably the only one who could have brought the taste and the curiosity that the Etruscan style was feeding in the aftermath of the excavations of Herculaneum and Pompeii.
It was the April of 1799 when Pistoia was the scene of a pro-French insurrectionary movement, a change of regime, of very short duration, which Giuseppe Puccini welcomed and probably helped to contribute to, barring its consequences soon. Jailed as a sympathizer of the Jacobins and then freed, Giuseppe continued from that moment on to devote himself almost exclusively to family affairs and to the care of relationships. As evidence of this, the long correspondence with his brother Tommaso, exchange letters that did not stop even when the latter escaped to Palermo with the intent to save - transporting them by sea from Livorno - a large number of works of art that feared they could be seized by the French and then robbed at the Gallery.

Through documents showing the permission granted by the religious authorities to celebrate the wedding of Laura Puccini, daughter of Giuseppe and Maddalena Brunozzi, with Francesco Rospigliosi, in May of 1807, in the "chapel" of the "Palazzo di città", we can learn about the existence, at that time, of an environment dedicated to private worship, an environment that was certainly to be located on the first floor, but to date, unfortunately, nothing remains but the story with references to the paintings that adorned the walls, 2 figures of saints in oval, a canvas depicting the Redeemer and a copy of a Madonna by Andrea del Sarto.
The 1811 was a year of mourning for the Puccini family, a short distance from each other were missing the uncle Tommaso, Chiara and Antonio Puccini, mourners that greatly affected the personality of the young Niccolò and his already precarious health.

Between the 1818 and the 1823 under the direction of Niccolò, the apartments of his and his brother Domenico were built on the second floor of the Palace (now home to the Grouped Institutes), as well as other minor maintenance works and small improvements.
Among the most significant works carried out in those years, certainly worthy of mentioning the decorations of Ferdinando Marini, he was the author of the study of Niccolò and his is the representation of the emblems of the heroes of humanity: four great sepulchral urns dedicated to Dante, Petrarca, Boccaccio and Machiavelli leaning illusionistically on the four walls of a small temple with a quadrangular plan, beyond whose walls there is a luxuriant vegetation. Covering the temple a lacunar pattern in the center of which a refined monochrome decor like a bas-relief depicting Italy.

Frescoes and furniture in the neoclassical style went to renovate the interiors of the Palace and specifically the rooms, environments that, however, once completed, were inhabited for a short time.
Niccolo, in fact, having returned from his formative trip to Europe conducted in those same years, decided to leave his native palace and retire to the country residence.
In the 1836 at the death of his mother Maddalena, Niccolo quickly declassified the Palace: paintings, furnishings, furnishings and documents were inventoried and taken away.
Shortly after the last brother, Domenico, between 1836 and 1837 Niccolò, now sole heir of the Palazzo del Via del Can Bianco, has decided to divide the property into several units and to rent it to several tenants together to all other adjoining or adjoining properties.
In the 1852 Niccolò dies and as per his will that ground floor of the city palace that was prudently kept in use, becomes the first seat of the office of the Cause Pia Puccini, the charity instituted instituted by the philanthropus by his will and testament commission to take care of the sale of all those goods that were used to pay the remaining debts and for the maintenance of the Conservatory of Orphans.

In the testamentary respect, the sale and fragmentation of the properties that immediately became the private residence of a less and less erudite bourgeoisie, which, unfortunately, in large part, did not conserve but covered with white and color the beautiful paintings of the different rooms, precious decorations that only the last restorations, completed in 2007, have then brought to light.
On the other hand, most of the movable goods have lost their traces, they were probably sold at auction, unlike the 45.000 volumes that were donated to the Biblioteca del Collegio Forteguerri, a college where Niccolò had studied as a young man.

Services: stays in Historical Residence in Pistoia

Palazzo Puccini is an elegant historic residence located in the center of Pistoia, a tourist accommodation completely renovated at the end of the 2016 according to the highest standards of modern hospitality.

All of its 9 rooms, mostly frescoed, are furnished in a unique and exclusive way and with period details and show a timeless atmosphere and luxury.

We pay particular attention to ensuring our guests the best services, our idea is to offer the opportunity to spend a relaxing stay at home even if away from home.

Respecting our idea of ​​hospitality, we pay particular attention in ensuring every possible comfort to our guests, our commitment is constant in offering them the opportunity to spend a relaxing stay at home, even if and when away from home.

Our main services:
Air Conditioning
Assistance tours / ticket
Private bathroom in every room
Pure cotton linen
Courtesy water bottle in all rooms
Adjustable air conditioning in every room
Coffee station
Coffee / tea available to guests in the common living room
Italian breakfast buffet with baked pastries every day
Shower with rain shower head
Express check-in
Baby bed on request
Free parking nearby
Private parking a short distance from the hotel (service on request and payment)
Small pets allowed
Bath products
Room service (during reception opening hours)
Smoking Area
Airport transfer (service on request and upon payment)
Transfer from the train station (service on request and upon payment)
Flat screen TV
Free WiFi throughout the property

Pets allowed
Disabled accessibility
Price: € 85 / day
Bedrooms: 9
Beds: 20
Set In Outdoors: Si
Set In Interior: No
Set In Garden: No
Vehicles accessibility for Events: Si
Phone: + 390573 358147 - 0573 21369 Fax
Address: Vicolo Malconsiglio 4
Country: Italy
Phone: + 390573 358147 - 0573 21369 Fax

Get in touch with the Historic House

Compare Listings