Rocca of Soragna
The building has a square plan, with four towers at the sides and a fifth at the center of the main facade, and is surrounded by a wide moat on the south-east sides: it was built in the 1385 by the Marquis Bonifacio and Antonio Lupi, under license Duke of Milan Gian Galeazzo Visconti. It had to undergo structural reconstructions in the 500, and in the following century - the original defensive systems disappeared - everything was finalized to the magnificent residence of the owner and his Court, thus achieving the current appearance.
Today a charming place where you can organize charming events in the setting of a sumptuous historical residence in Emilia Romagna.
The history of the Rocca di Soragna
The fortress was built in 1385 by the Marquises Bonifacio and Antonio Lupi who in 1347 had had the feudal investiture in the territory from Charles IV, a power they exercised until the Napoleonic suppressions. It is probable that the first fortress, with a square plan and four towers on the sides, was already built after a year, while in 1392 the external wall was completed. At that time the building looked like a mighty fortress equipped with every defense against external attacks. With the passage of time and the consolidation of the Lordships, however, the fights between the feudal lords became more and more rare and the castle was therefore able to refine its structures and become a pleasant and comfortable palace, while also retaining its ancient structures. In fact, the castle underwent substantial structural renovations especially in the sixteenth century but it was only in the following century that it became a sumptuous princely residence, an aspect that it still retains today. Subsequent changes were brought by the Parmesan Angelo Rasori and by the Piacenza Antonio Tomba respectively in the 700s and 800s. La Rocca, enriched over time with countless works of art and priceless testimonies of the past, has always remained the property of the Meli Lupi family.
The history of the Meli Lupi family can only start from the oldest of the lords of Soragna, the Marquis Guido Lupi, who was mayor of Parma in 1202, carrying out important pacifying actions in the nearby lands. The Wolves in ancient times, in all probability, built the castle and numerous forts in the area: we know, in fact, that in 1318 the troops of the mayor in Parma destroyed a 'castelletto' of Albertazzo Lupi, guilty of refusing to pay a fine. Another fundamental stage in the history of the family was the transformation of the assets of Soragna into a fief, which took place in 1347 by Charles IV of Bohemia, with the recognition of the titles of Marquis for Ugolotto Lupi and his descendants, and the right of mere mixed empire and sword power over the fiefdom. After long troubles due to the dispute over the inheritance of the name and property of the family, the Marquis Giampaolo Meli obtained in 1530 the right to add to his surname that of the extinct family of the Wolves, as well as the privilege of placing the imperial insignia of the eagle in the coat of arms. Among the personalities who conferred greater prestige and prestige to the Meli Lupi family is surely Isabella Pallavicino of Cortemaggiore, wife of Giampaolo II, a lady known above all for having obtained permission from the Duke of Ferrara to print an edition of the revised 'Gerusalemme liberata' and corrected by Tasso himself, still living, who dedicated a sonnet to her still preserved in the palace library.
In 1709 Giampaolo Maria obtained, from the emperor Joseph I, that the marquisate was raised to the status of the Holy Roman Empire with the right to mint coins. The title of Prince has since been carried by the eldest son of the family.
The current Prince Diofebo, in addition to his activity in the agricultural sector, continues in the activity of making better in the tourist activity and in the music field.