Tenuta di Camugliano
Camugliano is one of the most important estates in Tuscany and still today represents one of the rare places where everything has been preserved and handed down with continuity and passion.
Its centuries-old history is intertwined with the events of the Niccolini family, owner of the 1637.
The charm of the past and the strong bond with the territory transpire visiting the park and the buildings adjacent to it Medici villa, maximum expression of the intertwining between life in the villa e rural culture.
The history of the Tenuta di Camugliano
Tradition attributes the foundation of the villa of Camugliano to Duke Alessandro de Medicidopo 1532. It was later owned by the Salviati, the Gondi and the Marquis Matteo Botti, chamber master of the Grand Duke and after the latter's bankruptcy was confiscated by the Medici bank in the Scrittoio delle Possessioni; from the inventory of the time it appears that the whole property was in very precarious conditions and that the building was not in a good and solid structure.
In the 1634 negotiations were opened between the desk and Filippo Niccolini, a Florentine patrician, interested in buying the estate. He concluded the deal for the 50.000 figure shields the 23 September of the 1634 after the Niccolini was commuted by the Grand Duke the title of Marquis of Ponsacco and Camugliano with another marquisate that he already owned. He immediately began the impressive works at the villa invoked by his experts and did not fail to improve the general condition of the entire farm by increasing crops, draining land and planting vineyards.
The current appearance of the villa, which was owed to the Marquis Filippo and who made use of architects from the Fiorentina area, was inspired by the interventions of the other Medici villas at the end of the 500. To a hypothetical work of lining the walls, whose subtlety had been reported by the experts, it was in fact connected the construction of three of the four corner towers and the reduction of the pre-existing to their shape. The vast area in front of the southern façade was enclosed by two independent wings of the barn and stables towards the west and of the farm and the tithouse to the east. The foundations were fortified with powerful retaining walls. The loggia recalls that built by Filippo in the 1655 in the internal courtyard of his residence in Florence in Via dei Servi, years in which he also began the beautiful chapel in the Basilica of Santa Croce.
On the ground floor by the long corridor hall, which crosses the whole building, you enter the master chapel dedicated to San Filippo, while on the first floor the ceiling of the imposing central hall is frescoed by Angelo Michele Colonna. The arrangement of the park dates back to 1640 with the creation of avenues of cypresses that lead, among other things, to the church of San Frediano. After the death of Philip in the 1666, it was above all during the Marquisate of Giovanluca (who died in 1752) and Lorenzo (who died in 1795) that considerable improvements were made to the numerous farm buildings of the estate, in addition the cellars were enlarged. villa was closed the loggia and surrounded the southern meadow with a wall on which were placed the busts of marble in the center was installed the statue of Hercules made by Giovanni Bandini (called Giovanni dall'Opera) all from the famous collection of sculptures existing at the building of via dei Servi when this was sold. In addition, there were affixed with the coats of arms in pietra serena on the outer corner of each tower with the arms of the Niccolini and the families that joined wedding .
In the following century, another Lorenzo (died 1868) created the garden and commissioned the meticulous survey of the entire estate. Such was the fame of this prestigious residence that in 1857 the Grand Duke Leopoldo asked for hospitality for Pope Pius IX who stayed there during one of his trip to Tuscany.