Villa Pace: historic home in Tapogliano
Villa Pace is located in the small town of Tapogliano in the center of the Friuli plain at about 10 km. from two of the three UNESCO sites of Friuli Venezia Giulia: the starry fortress city of Palmanova and the Roman city of Aquileia. Tapogliano is located about 20 km away. from Grado, historic seaside resort of the Hapsburg Empire.
Villa Pace owes its present form to two construction phases: one from the second half of the 600th century and the other from the mid-700th century and there is a pre-existing villa on the site, of which only the large barchessa to the east remains.
The current villa was built in the second half of the 600th century by Carlo Maria Pace Felmaresciallo dell'Imperatore Leopold I of Habsburg. To this phase we owe the design of the cubic villa closed by 4 corner towers, such as the Colloredo villas in Susans and Dobrovo or the Coronini villa in Vipacco. Access to the main floor was provided by an external staircase as in other seventeenth-century Friulian villas (e.g. villa della Torre a Ziracco), but the two corner towers towards the garden - where the staircase was planned - were never completed and in the mid-eighteenth century the project underwent a profound change.
The Gorizia branch became extinct with the Field Marshal and it was another Carlo Maria from the Udine branch who remodeled the villa in the mid-eighteenth century, probably on the occasion of his marriage to Giuliana di Edling, court lady favored by Maria Teresa of Austria.
The renovation was probably finished in 1751, the date that can be read on the painting by Scaiaro on the ceiling of the main floor hall.
The elements qualifying the mid-eighteenth century renovation are the internal staircase on the model of the staircase of Fischer.v.Erlach in the castle of Bruchsaal, and the central hall born instead on a Venetian model (with stuccos attributed to the Venetian Francesco Re and the paintings of the tiepolesco Scaiaro ). The whole house - from the floor plan to the particular corner fireplaces - is therefore an epitome of the culture of eastern Friuli with one eye in Venice and one in Vienna.
In the recent restoration works (2013) in two rooms on the main floor, singular late-eighteenth-century grisaille wall paintings were brought to light in a room. In the tower room the paintings depict the trips of Captain James Cook in the southern seas taken from the engravings of the first Italian edition of Viaggi, published in Naples in 1784 and some scenes fromHistorie des deux Indies by Abbè Raynal, friend of Diderot. This is the first anti-slavery book published in Europe and therefore put on the index and burnt in France and in all the countries of the ancient regime.
The paintings - perhaps by Giuseppe Mattioni, a pupil of Francesco Chiarottini - are not artistically of the highest quality, but their extraordinary nature is the unusual iconographic choice certainly to be put in relation with the clients: Bernardino Pace, son of Carlo Maria, and his wife Teresa by Abensberg und Traun, both writers and considered by contemporary "Philosophes".
In the second room discialbata, however, other murals were discovered, always in grisaille, depicting an arcadian weighing (from engravings by Zuccarelli) and images of the ports of Toulon and Marseille (from engravings by Giuseppe dell'Acqua taken from paintings by Joseph Vernet) . Probably this choice is linked to the fact that Carlo Maria Pace, probably the client, is the first Friulian nobleman to invest in the Trieste Loyd.
The villa is located in the center of a garden of about 1 hectare with a formal design on the front and a small English park on the back. To the east and west the garden-park is closed by two barchesse.
The small barchessa to the west - where the seventeenth-century kitchen was located - is connected to the villa with a lovely covered porch.
The large east barchessa is partly used as a bottle factoryPace-Perusini winery (based in Corno di Rosazzo) while in the extreme part the old stable and the portico with original furnishings have been restored. On the first floor the huge, magnificent work space (ca 1000 sq m) with beams of over 40 ml. Was probably used in the 700th century for silkworm farming and then for numerous other agricultural uses (grain storage, etc.)
Today the villa is an exclusive location for private events such as weddings, meetings, parties, receptions and soon space for hospitality will also be opened
The villa was at the center of a Pace property (other lands were in Campeglio and Colloredo di Prato) and like all the holiday villas it was inhabited from June and October (from the harvest to the harvest), for the rest of the year the family he lived in the palaces of Udine or Gorizia. Since the XNUMXth century the villa has always remained the property of the Pace family (Friede von Friedenberg).
The current building - cubic with 4 corner towers (only two of which were built) - dates back to the second half of the seventeenth century and insists on the site a pre-existing villa of which only the large barchessa to the east remains. The current villa was built by Carlo Maria Pace of the Gorizia branch of the family, Felmaresciallo of the Emperor Leopold I of Habsburg. Peace had distinguished itself in the wars of the empire against the Turks: from the siege of Vienna (1683) to the liberation of Budapest (1686) in which it participated with three armored cavalry regiments distinguishing itself in many battles. For this he received the title of free baron of the Empire (he was count from 1400) and the honor of framing the imperial eagle in the family coat of arms and being buried in the Franciscan church in Vienna.
The Gorizia branch, however, died out with him and it was another Carlo Maria from the Udine branch who remodeled the villa in the mid-eighteenth century, probably on the occasion of his marriage to Giuliana di Edling, court lady favored by Maria Teresa of Austria. The restructuring was probably finished in 1751 (date that can be read on the painting by Antonio Scaiaro on the ceiling of the hall on the main floor). The house is a paradigm of family culture and more generally of eastern Friuli: always with an eye on Venice and one in Vienna.
To the multifaceted Carlo Maria udinese of the mid-eighteenth century (knight of the golden key), physiocratic and skilled experimenter of new agricultural cultures (he won a gold medal from the Emperor because his silk is the best in Friuli), but also unpublished investments, the singular grisaille wall decoration depicting the ports of Toulon and Marseille is probably due: in fact he was the first Friulian nobleman who invested money also in the Trieste Loyd.
His extraordinary son, Bernardino Pace and his wife Teresa of Abensberg und Traun, owe the extraordinary iconography of the room in the tower where the late eighteenth-century grisaille wall paintings depicting the travels of Captain James Cook to the seas were brought to light from the south taken from the engravings of the first Italian edition of Viaggi, published in Naples in 1784 and some scenes from the Historie des deux Indies. Published in the eighteenth century by Abbè Raynal, a friend of Diderot. It is the first anti-slavery book published in Europe and therefore put on the index and burnt in France and in all the countries of the ancient regime. There are only two Swiss editions and one of these appeared in the Pace library (a famous library also linked to the fidecommesso together with the villa, but put on sale by the 4 heirs in 1824). Both Bernardino and Teresa Pace are in fact writers and said by contemporaries "Philosophes".
The restoration work started in 2009 also included the two barchesse as the villa involved in a redevelopment project of the villa for events and hospitality as well as for the agricultural use connected to the Pace-Perusini winery.
Villa Pace, with the attached park, can be rented for the following events:
- corporate events
- parties / conventions
- show rooms and parades
- photographic and cinematographic sets
- video production
- guided tours (for groups of at least 10 people)
- exclusive stays
The villa can be rented in full, only the ground floor or only individual portions obviously with different costs. The costs are also linked to the time of use and the number of people present.