The complex of Villa Paleotta it is probably from the late seventeenth century that the oldest architectural nucleus built by the marquises can be traced back Paleotti (noble family of Emilian origin). The villa and the court, located in the immediate vicinity of the current Municipality of Poggio Rusco (a toponym that probably derives from ruscus aculeatus an essence endowed with thorns typical of the marshes of this territory), can be identified in the maps of the Teresian Catasto (1777) of the Mantuan territory and, in the light of current knowledge, to be understood as the oldest representation of the building and property.
He is always with the nobles Paleotti we can hypothesize the building of the oratory, dedicated to St. Francis de Sales, located in the wood of the large estate, a simple apsed "aula" building, still existing but extensively remodeled in recent times.
The local historiography proposes, at a certain date, that to the marquises Paleotti the Lanzoni family took over, probably for reasons of matrimonial union between the members of the two noble families. It turns out that the brothers Giovanni Ludovico, father of Hannibal, and his brother Marco Antonio had purchased land at Quattro case (D'Arco, families, V, p.76).
Later, the assets of Hannibal passed partly to the Paleotti family of Bologna. In 1706 he is defined: marquis Annibale Carlo Maria Paleotti Lanzoni ... ... Mantuan nobleman and Bolognese patrician (D'Arco, families, V, p. 78). To confirm this hypothesis there remains a painting, an altarpiece dedicated to the "Martyrdom of Saint Catherine" located in the private chapel of a house in the nearby area called "Four Houses" in which the heraldic emblem of the Paleotti (a figure of a dog) coupled with that of the Lanzoni (the image of two spears).
The building of the residence and the garden, by the will of the nobles Paleotti , in the county of Mantua, it is part of that precise aristocratic taste of the time mainly linked to the enjoyment of theotium that is to say to the leisure and the hunts, to the tranquility of the countryside and the woods, in short to the fun "villereccio" but not unrelated however to the agricultural production that the vast fund had to offer to the owner, through the cultivation and care of the lands and the different areas and of adjacent functional buildings,
Probably in the first half of the nineteenth century, the quadrangular body of the pre-existing villa was built with the two lowest symmetrical wings, considerably set back from the main volume of the residence. These bodies are structured towards the large garden that develops in the rear part of the complex, with a portico with lowered arches, supported by pilasters, accentuating the oldest and tallest quadrangular central building.
The villa is owned by the Lanzoni up to 1937 and later to Longhi current owners.
The ancient "master" house is on two floors; the ground floor which was to serve as a "service" area to the villa and the upper part, the "noble" floor is characterized by a symmetrical sequence and large rooms around the large central hall equipped with curved double-flight staircases placed on the central axis longitudinal linking, through the two barrel portals, the interior space with the external space of the garden. It remains the central axis, of seventeenth-century intonation to identify the "telescope" path that starts from the entrance portal of the property, consisting of ashlar pillars surmounted by molded stone bases and, passing the tree-lined driveway, enters the villa through the "pincer" staircase crossing the central hall, then reaching the wide grassy parterre, the park and the extensive wood.
The central cubic body is typologically similar to the Four / Sixteenth century courts of the Gonzaga county of Mantua. Moreover, inside, just the large central double-decker hall (about mt. 5,85) strongly denounces affinity with the typological scheme of the "manor court of Mantua.
The villa was extensively restored after the war of the last war: the complex, which became the headquarters of the German command, suffered serious damage due to a bombardment of the allies in the 1944. The wing to the south and part of the adjacent ancient central nucleus, it is extensively damaged and partly destroyed following its rebuilding later.
The neoclassical decoration of the large central hall remains intact: a succession of fluted pilasters, resting on a base and plinth, with elegant Ionic capitals and overlying final stucco and stone frame. On each opening of the hall, refined two-leaf doors in walnut, framed by an important gap, are inserted panels-over-doors painted with landscape and architectural views of the late nineteenth century. The flooring is mainly in terracotta. The architectural complex is inserted in a large garden that becomes, in the area behind it, a vast and articulated park in which valuable essences also secular (white poplar, black poplar, willow, field elm, maple, ash, etc.) dwell; inside the park, in the northern area, there is a small chapel dedicated to St. Francis of Sales (1567 - 1622), of seventeenth-century origin. The oratory of the Paleotta was visited (by ecclesiastical sources) by the Bishop Giovanni Cattaneo in the 1676, being pastor in the village of Poggio Rusco Don Giovanni Battista Cavazza, in the 1828 by the Bishop Giuseppe Maria Bozzi, being parish priest Giorgio Mori Bocchi, in the 1837 by the Bishop Giovanni Battista Bellè being Giorgio Mori Bocchi parish priest.
It is also worth mentioning the caretaker's house near the wall connected to the property's access portal, a small house on two floors with a four-pitched roof.
Crossing the portal of access to the villa, to underline the central perspective axis of the plant are the secular plane trees, symmetrically planted on the side of the driveway, at the foot of which develops a hornbeam hedge. They are mixed plane trees: of western type (from the bark that, by flaking, shows the living wood with cavity) and of the eastern type (with continuous surface). The gravel driveway separates two symmetrical lawn areas; in the area to the west there is a shrub hedge, which marks the border facing the road, and scattered shrubby essences such as liquidamber, catalpa, bagolaro, robinia, willow and spruce; furthermore, in this part of the garden, there is a valuable round well with moldings carved in a single block of stone with the family crest Lanzoni. Nearby you can see a small building, on a cruciform plan, whose volumes are surmounted by three roofs with steeply sloping two-water roofs, a rustic architecture used as a shelter for garden animals and birds.
The ideal perspective and symmetrical axis, passing the central hall of the villa, leads to the garden, then park and wood located at the back of the complex. The relationship becomes gradual due to the crossing before the arcade, then a paved area, a large lawn that expands into the large green clearing.
The park - forest
For a summary description of the "park-forest" of the property it is specified that the first layer (up to the height of about one meter) is defined as undergrowth, in the second layer prevails the shrubby part (up to five meters high) and the third layer is composed of real trees up to exceeding a height of twenty meters. The park is "designed" by several paths that define it in sectors, about ten, even if the park area, in line with the old part of the villa, probably the largest, is treated as a lawn with a narrowing in the final part, part which goes beyond the ideal center of the park itself. It remains interesting to briefly list most of the plant essences (arboreal and bushy) that dwell in the garden.
Undergrowth: ivy, brionia, vinca, aristoloquia, iliacea, ranuncolo
Tall trees: cedar of Lebanon (150-200 years), old oak (circumference 340 cm)
From a botanical point of view the park of Villa Paleotta -Lanzoni can be evaluated as a fragment of the ancient one "Plain forest" present in prehistory.
Location for events and weddings
Villa Paelotta is a historic villa in Mantua with an annexed park. The dwelling is an ideal location for charming private events such as weddings, meetings, conventions, conferences and cultural events. The rooms can accommodate up to 150 guests sitting in the interior rooms. Outside you can host 300 people.
every Wednesday from 10,00 to 12,00. Visits to the park only in the summer period (from May to September) € 20 per person - € 100 for family group - to be agreed for groups (school and other)
UNESCO sites nearby
From 07 July 2008 the Website " Mantua and Sabbioneta "Is part of the UNESCO World Heritage List
Civic Museum of Palazzo Te (1525-1535) masterpiece by Giulio Romano (1499-1546). Suburban Renaissance villa. Worth noting is the Horse Room (life size), the Camera di Amore e Psiche and the Sala dei Giganti.
The Temple of San Sebastiano built by Leon Battista Alberti 1460
Bibiena Scientific Theater 1767-1769. the 16 January 1770 the young Wolfang Amadeus Mozart, just fourteen years old, held a memorable concert with his father Leopold.
Ducal Palace of the end of the 1200, a true city-palace, with more than 500 rooms, connected with it the castle of San Giorgio where the most famous hall of the ducal palace is enclosed, the room of the Spouses frescoed between the 1465-1474 by Andrea Mantegna. It is considered one of the absolute masterpieces of Italian painting of the fifteenth century (at Km 45)
Sabbioneta, a small urban jewel of inestimable value, born from the humanistic dream of Vespasiano Gonzaga (1531-1591). This ideal city was built from nothing in the second half of the 500, modeled on the ancient cities of the classical world with the intention of creating a small Athens.
To signal the Olympic Theater designed by Vincenzo Scamozzi and decorated with frescoes by Paolo Veronese. (at Km 70)
City of Verona from the 30 November 2000 World Heritage List, the Arena (1st century AD). and P.zza Bra - Ponte Pietra - Piazza Erbe - Madonna Verona and Casa Mazzanti - Castel San Pietro (at Km 60)
City of Modena World Heritage List from the 1997, the Modena Cathedral, an international masterpiece of Romanesque designed by lanfrtanco in the 1099, preserves the sculptures of Wiligelmo and the masters from Campione. The Ghirlandina, almost 90 meters high, is one of the most beautiful bell towers in Italy. P.zza Grande and the Town Hall (Km 50)
City of Ferrara World Heritage List from the 1995 built between the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries, the Este family, with the Roman-Gothic 1135 Cathedral, the Estense 1385 Castle, the Palazzo dei Diamanti (at Km 50)
Interested guests can take advantage of an efficient NCC private transport system to reach and visit UNESCO sites.