Villa Rizzardi and the Pojega Garden
The Pojega estate in Negrar is owned by the Rizzardi accounts since 1649, when it was bought by Carlo Rizzardi, who expanded it with further acquisitions in the following years. It includes about twenty-five hectares of vineyards dedicated to the production of Guerrieri Rizzardi wines.
The importance of the complex is due to the extraordinary garden that Count Antonio Rizzardi (1742-1808) wanted to create, combining humanist inspiration with a great sense of scenery and landscape, a triumph of perspective. He entrusted the design to Luigi Trezza (1752-1823), a Veronese exponent of the Venetian neoclassical architecture, who managed to reconcile the spectacular and formal Italian garden with the romantic garden created to recreate a sophisticated natural environment. It extends over an area of 54 thousand square meters, part in slope and partly flat, articulated in three different parallel paths for elevation, vegetation and relationship to the environment. The natural slopes of the land are enhanced with a semicircular appendix where it is the "teatro di verzura", with seven tiers of steps in box hedges, cypresses and niches in the hornbeam, to which is added a tribute to the prospect with the avenue of hornbeam and the neoclassical style with statues that recall the classical age. The theater faces west, to better exploit the lights of the sunset and on the stage, hornbeam hedges act as wings for the actors. The final route takes place in the romantic garden with a forest of white and black hornbeam, field maples, downy oaks, holm oaks and badgers. In the undergrowth, among numerous palmettes, menacing pumas, dogs and stone lionesses sprout.
Villa Rizzardi, which dominates the Garden, was built in 1870 in place of the previous one, designed by the architect Filippo Messedaglia (1823-1901). It is characterized by a regular "horseshoe" geometric planimetry. Architectural elements of relief are the lobed windows of the first floor and the fascia that runs along the perimeter of the roof: an eclectic style that fuses baroque, renaissance and neoclassicism.
Villa Rizzardi is home to the "Antonio Canova" Sculpture Competition, a cultural project by Guerrieri Rizzardi, born in 2009 to enhance young talents in the field of plastic arts. It can host conferences, congresses, receptions, business meetings and ceremonies that you want to place in a sought-after countryside setting, among the expanses of vineyards that for centuries have represented the life of Valpolicella and remind us of the Rizzardi family's vocation. The theater of verdure is a privileged place for culture and hosts cultural events and initiatives that stimulate the connective tissue of a region where wine is an important cultural and cultural expression.
Carlo Rizzardi bought the Pojega estate in the 1649, a possession with "patches of land aradora and grass with vineyards, morari, olive trees and other fruit trees ......" strengthened in the following years with further land acquisition. Since the sixteenth century, the area of Negrar, fifteen kilometers from Verona, particularly favored by the proximity to the city center and the optimal climate exposure, was the subject of growing interest in land investment. At the time the habit of holidaying in the villa was not yet widespread and in the construction of the country residences the rationality and functionality of the management center was privileged to the artistic beauty of the building.
It was Count Antonio Rizzardi who commissioned the Garden of Pojega to architect Luigi Trezza who, for its construction, which took place between the 1783 and 1796, was inspired by the gardens of the sixteenth-century Venetian tradition, in spite of the typically English canons in vogue at the time . In the era in which the Italian garden was neglected to leave room for the whole of lawn and forest, called English garden, the garden of Pojega, the last of its kind to be created in Italy, acquires a particular meaning.
The first nucleus of the Villa, which dates back to the end of the sixteenth century, passed to the Allegri family at the beginning of the seventeenth century and was later acquired by the Rizzardi family. Their first residence consisted of a building consisting of four bodies, three of which leaning against each other to form a single complex and an appendix on the left, in addition to the vast agricultural land. From the 1729 to the 1747 the Rizzardi carried out a series of maintenance interventions as well as expansion. The current building was built in 1870 on a project by the architect Filippo Messedaglia.
A villa and a garden loved and lived by illustrious tenants, such as the architect Pietro Gazzola (1908-1979), known for the philological restoration of the bridges of the Stone and Castelvecchio following their destruction in 1945 in the retreat of the German armies, and the sculptor Miguel Berrocal (1933-2006) who, having moved to Verona to realize his works in the local foundries, established for a long time both the studio and the atelier.
The oenological history of Guerrieri Rizzardi is in fact among the oldest in viticulture in Valpolicella: it is in the 1649, in fact, that the Rizzardi counts acquire the estate of Pojega in Negrar. With the marriage between Carlo Rizzardi and Giuseppina Guerrieri, owner of vineyards and cellars in Bardolino and Valdadige since the fifteenth century, the Guerrieri Rizzardi agricultural company is born (the first vintage is 1914). In the seventies of the twentieth century, the acquisition of vineyards and winery in the Soave Classico territories helped to expand the range of corporate wines. The company controls the entire production chain of its high-end wines from the vineyard to their international distribution.
Guerrieri Rizzardi is part of the Association of the Amarone d'Arte and the Association Les Hénokiens (International Association of Bicentenary Family Companies).
Services: reception, wedding location and events in Villa Veneta
Villa Rizzardi is a special location for weddings, events, banquets, receptions, ceremonies, meetings, gala dinners, fashion shows ...
It can host up to 250 people seated and has all the necessary logistic services, outdoor parking, area reserved for kitchens for catering and any external area for tensile structures.
by informazioni e prenotazioni: [Email protected]
The Pojega Garden is open for visits from April to October from Monday to Friday from 10 to 17.30. Saturday and Sunday by reservation
At the same times the renewed sales point is open where it is possible to taste and buy the wines of the Valpolicella of Bardolino and Soave and the extra virgin olive oils of the Azienda Agricola Guerrieri Rizzardi.
It is possible to book a guided tour with tasting for groups at [Email protected]
Luxury apartments in the village of Bardolino
The extensive complex of the property is also part of the property Borgo Bardolino, in 25 kilometers from Negrar, once the seat of theGuerrieri Rizzardi farm now moving into the hills, which includes the restaurant built in the ancient cellars, a wine-bar and some shops built in historical buildings.
Inside the Borgo guests can stay in refined and elegant luxury apartments in the center of Bardolino.
Two and three-room apartments from 2 to 6 people, finely furnished with antique and valuable furniture, modern kitchenette with induction hob, marble bathrooms, wooden floors, ceilings with exposed beams. Air conditioning and heating, flat-screen satellite TV, Wi-Fi Internet connection, parking and a private swimming pool complete the offer.
Places of interest nearby:
Itineraries to discover villas and churches in Valpolicella, food and wine itineraries
From 6 November 2015 San Giorgio di Valpolicella has been included among the most beautiful villages in Italy.
The Lessinia Regional Natural Park is an oasis established in 1990 to protect and enhance the nature and historical heritage of a large area located north-northwest of Verona.
Negrar is about 15 Km from the center of Verona and about 25 km from Lake Garda