Villa Rossi Danielli, Viterbo
The monumental building complex of Villa Rossi Danielli it consists of two neighboring structures, of different ages and styles.
The Villa, summer residence of the Rossi Danielli family since the beginning of the 19th century and the old rural building, the home of the peasants who took care of the property, now completely restored and used as a guest house. Access to the estate is through a narrow gate supported by two columns of peperino stone which are nothing but the superimposition of the extrados of the recurrent ogives of the mullioned windows of a destroyed portico of the convent of S. Maria in Gradi and which were replaced during the enlargement works of the same convent in the 1738. The two pillars are thus made up of 18 elements each; at the top another element is resting "standing" surmounted by a ball always in peperino. Next to the columns entering, it is a counter-pillar always in blocks of peperino enlivened by the scratched image of a column.
Un long avenue bounded by cypresses and olive trees leads to the complex.
The villa is a compact rectangular building that grows on five floors, considering the cellars that are present under the building reaching up to the attics. The main facade, facing south and west, looks like a three-storey structure that develops from a wider platform for the two terraces that widen the base of support at the level of the main floor. It is the result of the exploitation of the difference in level of the land that has allowed the localization on the ground floor of a part used as a service and the other halls used as warehouses and to create, for access to the floor on the first floor, two monumental and solemn stairways twins at the top of which is the main entrance door of the villa. On the architrave of which an epigraph is carved:
ARPMFJDETERAN. SOCIUS HISPANIAE. F. ANN MDCCXCVII
In epigraphic language we read:
ADMODUM REVERENDUS PATER MAGISTER FRATER JOACHIM DE TERAN SOCIUS HISPANIAE FECIT YEAR MDCCXCVII
Located above the gate, a large sundial softens the austere facade of the main body of the villa that was recently restored in full respect of its history and typical architecture of the time. The decorations of the era, the refined and original furnishings of the main floor offer elegant and refined environments. A large living room with fireplace, a library, a lounge with billiards, and several other lounges complete the main floor and encourage idleness.
On the ground floor a long gallery houses the dining room while a large kitchen equipped with a long staircase that goes down into the tuff leads to the cellar where they are kept wines of great value, a small service bathroom completes the residential part of the villa.
At the staircase leading to the main entrance of the villa, on the left side at ground level, there are rooms dug directly into the peperino rock, used until recent years as warehouses, stables and tool shed. One of these rooms has unique architectural decorations with moldings and niches still visible on the wall, one larger than the other is placed at the center of two openings that lead into as many small rooms and faces the entrance. For the dimensions and the relief of the position in the wall this niche had originally to house a large statue, now lost. All these elements, to which must be added the proximity of a cistern of water used until recent times, were probably relevant to a nymphaeum, a place that in every Renaissance villa it was intended for the relief of the summer heat, usually decorated with statues, plays of water and sometimes wall ornaments with shells and river pebbles. Formerly called simply "cave", because very often the decoration emphasized the appearance of a hypogeum, the nymphaeum was a secluded place compared to the main life of the villa, as can be seen in the nearby villa Lante di Bagnaia and many others villas of the Viterbese. Considering the position of this environment with respect to the current villa, it is likely that it was part of an older structure, pre-existing to the construction that is now superimposed on it.
La farmhouse adjacent to the villa, whose oldest part is from the same period, it was enlarged in more recent times, late nineteenth century and spread over two floors. The upper floor was used as a dwelling for farmers and the ground floor used as a stable and warehouses for storing agricultural tools. Today it has been completely renovated and used as a farmhouse accommodation under the name of Relais of Villa Rossi Danielli and is composed of 5 rooms each with independent bathroom, 1 result with private lounge and fireplace, 2 large double rooms and two bedrooms with single beds, one with a private lounge.
On the ground floor the old stables have been recovered and used as a common area. One has been obtained large heated lounge from a large fireplace where you can entertain with friends, a dining room and a kitchen where the cook Enrica is always ready to cook for guests. The portico is the ideal place to simply enjoy one good glass of wine or lunches and dinners outdoors by candlelight rbreathing out air of other times.
The park it is mainly composed of tall trees: oaks, holm oaks, robinias, pines, limes, hedges of viburnum and laurel, but above all by two monumental boxwood galleries that adorn the main facade of the villa. Trees with circumferences ranging from 2.50 to 3.75 mt. that give the building complex a monumental and solemn aspect. Roses, dahlias, lilies and especially hydrangeas contribute with their blooms to make one walk in the park a 'unforgettable olfactory and visual experience.
The swimming pool immersed in the silence of the park invites guests to laze and spend days relaxing.
A small country church particularly suitable for private ceremonies complete it all.
From the villa you can enjoy one spectacular view of Viterbo and Lazio Maremma up to see the promontory of the Argentario and the sea on a clear day. The expanse of olive trees surrounding the villa produces a oil DOP sold and appreciated all over the world.
The story of Villa Rossi Danielli
The villas of Viterbo they have almost all a history that connects them to patrician families or convents of the various religious orders in a context of a peasant farm-sharecropping activity. The story of Villa Rossi Danielli it's not far behind. In fact, the first certain news bring us back to the second half of the sixteenth century when he was the owner of the villa and the surrounding farm Giacomo Sacchi exponent of a rich and noble family who had settled in Viterbo in 1297 with Giovan Giacomo Sacchi who had been invested with the office Treasurer of the province of heritage. Before the sixteenth century we have only a few vague news concerning the management of the farm which at that time was cultivated with vines. The 3 July 1587, Giacomo Sacchi dictated his will with which he arranged for his second wife, Lucia de Bussi, to go the fourth part of the income of the property located in Merlano. In fact this was the toponym with which the territory west of the Viterbo-S provincial road was identified and continues to be identified. Martino al Cimino. Instead, he ordered his heirs to keep possession of the property and should the need arise to deprive them, they would have had to privilege the Dominican fathers of the convent of S. Maria in Gradi and, secondly, the city hospital. In 1586 Orazio Sacchi, son of Giacomo, married the noblewoman Giulia Tignosini in the chapel of the estate. In 1650, at the death of Horace, the sons Domenico and Tarconte relinquish ownership of the villa and of the surrounding farm to the Dominican fathers of S. Maria in Gradi who use the villa as a summer residence for the illustrious guests of the convent. In fact, the epigraph on the main door recalls the stay that in the 1797 the very reverend father master Br. Joachim de Teran, assistant to the Spanish-speaking provinces of the master general of the Dominican order Br. Balthasar de Quinones, made in the villa. This was the first god famous people who stayed in the villa and most probably, with the consent of the entire religious community, he also took care of the restoration of the villa.
The end of the 18 century marks a very uncertain period for the Papal State. Napoleon was finishing the first campaign in Italy and French soldiers entered Romagna with new ideas in the territories of the Pope. Ancona is occupied and the Tolentino treaty establishes the loss of the Legations of Bologna, Ferrara and Romagna, as the provinces of the ancient Pontifical State. In an atmosphere of great social innovations the revolutionary wind blows on the papal lands and in February of the 1798 the troops of General Berthier occupy Rome and reach Viterbo. Thus began the spoliation of the Italian artistic heritage that will migrate to Paris to which the two most important Dominican possessions in Viterbo do not escape: the convent of S. Maria in Gradi and the convent of the Basilica of S. Maria della Quercia.
Luigi Rossi Danielli, exponent of one ancient and noble Viterbo family, as reported by Padre Semeria, Dominican of the convent of S. Maria della Quercia, acquires the June 19 1812 from the French government the monumental complex of the convent to avoid the looting of the works of art of the Basilica. Unfortunately he can not save the treasure of the Basilica but saves the spezieria, the paintings and works of art present in the convent. After the French horde returned the convent to the Dominicans and it was in that period, beginning of the nineteenth century, that the villa became the property of Rossi Danielli. In fact, in addition to the convent Rossi Danielli bought from the preaching fathers also the farm of 16 has with a manor house and annexed rural building.
Nowadays the villa has hosted 1960-1970-SM over the years Gustavus Adolphus VI of Sweden, famous archaeologist, who came to Viterbo to personally conduct the excavation campaigns that the Swedish Institute of Classical Studies in Rome organized in the locality of Acquarossa and Ferento always owned by Rossi Danielli and where another Rossi Danielli, Luigi also archaeologist at the beginning of the twentieth century had brought to light the remains of the Roman theater of Ferento.
Services: stay in a historic villa in the Viterbo countryside
Getting to Villa Rossi Danielli means crossing the threshold of a different world, a world governed by cordiality, history, attention to detail and a magical atmosphere ..
Villa Rossi Danielli is the ideal place for the travelers who want visit the Tuscia and the Viterbesi Villas exploring the Lazio countryside; a few kilometers from the center of Viterbo, staying in the Villa will allow you to live a journey experience of the past. Guests will benefit from comfortable rooms where to sleep and a great e lush garden where you can relax and immerse yourself in total relaxation.
Guests can stay inside the Relais of Villa Rossi Danielli
The owners will be available to guests to organize tour of the Tuscia, cooking lessons