Villa Sagramoso Sacchetti
Between Verona and Lake Garda, immediately on the edge of Valpolicella, the villa Sagramoso Sacchetti already d'Arco is a XNUMXth century Sanmichelian residence, at the heart of an agritourism business, which wants to offer its guests the experience of living, among cypresses, vineyards and olive trees, the magic of a Venetian Villa in its most authentic dimension.
The term “villa”, in the classical meaning of the term, indicated a country farm used by the Roman patricians to manage the various agricultural activities. Furthermore, these suburban residences were also experienced as places of delight for their "otium" where to devote oneself to philosophical conversations, to playful and convivial moments. At the end of the Republican period of Roman history, the "villa" became more and more a holiday resort and the cottages became an integral part of sumptuous architecture surrounded by nature.
After the decline of the Middle Ages, during the Renaissance, the concept of "villa" as "buen retiro" finds its apogee, with significant differences in the various territorial realities of Italy in the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries.
A separate reality are the so-called "Venetian Villas" born from the beginning of the fourteenth century as an admirable synthesis between the splendor of "extra moenia" residences for the Venetian aristocracy and the places where to undertake large-scale agriculture, often qualifying them with buildings and support structures such as barchesse, cottages and dovecote towers.
After decades of neglect and war vicissitudes, what remained of the ancient Villa was purchased in the early 60s of the last century by the spouses Alessandro and Rosandra Sagramoso Sacchetti with the support and precious advice of the Veronese historian Giuseppe Silvestri and the then superintendent Pietro Gazzola.
In the following years, the Sagramoso Sacchetti Counts undertook a meritorious and difficult work of recovery of the monumental complex, bringing the Villa and the historical appurtenances back to life.
The new generation of the family, represented by the sisters Chiarastella and Ludovica, has decided to revive the authentic essence of the Venetian Villa, as a patrician house at the center of agricultural activities, to make you relive the atmosphere and traditions of this ancient land.
The origin of the Villa del Corno Alto is to be found in an ancient agricultural courtyard, perhaps medieval, equipped with rusticals, an oven and a dovecote tower, built on a spectacular promontory overlooking the Adige and Valpolicella valleys. At the beginning of the seventeenth century Gian Giacomo d'Arco took possession of it, building the magnificent villa palace and the adjacent private chapel dedicated to St. James the Apostle, which we can still see today.
The main façade of the Villa, characterized by the two-flight staircase and the original Baroque fireplaces. The stylistic characteristics refer to those of the famous Veronese architect Sanmicheli (1484-1559). On the opposite facades it presents the heraldic coat of arms of the original family, Arco, and that of the current owner family, Sagramoso. In addition, the presence of a bearded mask is highlighted, a classic terminal stone of the portals in the Baroque Renaissance period, often sculpted with the image of Olympian divinities or grotesque faces.
The Colombara Tower of Villa Sagramoso Sacchetti was born from a primitive late medieval building transformed at the beginning of the seventeenth century with the insertion of two large Renaissance-style portals with rustic yellow limestone blocks in assonance with the majestic access portal to the court.
The Rusticale, a typical building once used as a peasant dwelling, has a characteristic balcony that divides the large loggia in two.
In the Venetian era, the Barchesse were shelters for agricultural tools and wagons.
Private noble chapel: dedicated to the apostle James; the interior has a gable roof and has a single nave, on the floor there is a sepulcher of the Arco family.