The oldest part of the villa dates back to the Middle Ages, when the Trissino family, probably of Germanic origin, built a castle as a center of its feudal power. In the second half of the fifteenth century the building was transformed into a country residence, gradually losing its military character.
Important renovations were carried out during the 18th century, with the intervention of the Lugano architect Francesco Muttoni and of the Veronese Girolamo dal Pozzo. Also in the 18th century, another branch of the family built the Lower Villa. The author's name is unknown, although the entrance portal to the Paduan Girolamo Frigimelica was attributed.
After being destroyed by a fire it was ceded to the Trissino family, owners of the Villa Superiore, who restored it. It burned again and was then left as a spectacular ruin.
In the mid-nineteenth century the entire complex passed to the Da Porto family.
During the last world war the Villa went through a period of grave decadence, which the count remedied Giannino Marzotto after buying it in the 1951.
The property was formed around a Roman ruin, but the first records date back to the 1101. The land was set up as a garden in the fifteenth century, redefined in the eighteenth century by Muttoni and completed by Frigimelica and the architect Dal Pozzo. Many trees and the over 100 statues of Orazio Marinali, or of the school, and of Giacomo Cassetti and aids, date back to the first half of that century, when the two villas were also built: the upper one of the Trissino, the Baston branch and the lower one of the Trissino of the Riale branch that, destroyed by a fire at the end of the eighteenth century, rebuilt in a different style, the 13 June 1841 re-focused and was transformed into a castle ruin.
The Park of about 20 hectares is divided into wooded areas alternated with meadow clearings. Groups of large trees and isolated specimens, some of which are more than 200 years old, set off the landscape scenographically and act as a link with the Italian gardens surrounding the villas, embracing them in an embrace of hedges, flowerbeds, terraces and avenues enriched with plants pruned according to topiary art.
The upper villa is characterized by a large lawn decorated with statues and surrounded by portals and walls, above which is the "horsewoman". From there starts the long avenue of the cedars that ends with the parterre of Muttoni. In front of the lower villa a double staircase leads down to the large octagonal fountain.
The entrance portal is attributed to Frigimelica, the numerous wrought-iron gates bear witness to the imagination and skill of 18th-century Venetian artisans. The property, in a state of neglect, was purchased in the 1950 by Count Giannino Marzotto, who provided to restore the upper Villa, the appurtenances and the park.
Visit Villa Trissino Marzotto
Opening of the villa and garden to the public on Saturdays from April to July and from September to October.
from 9: 00 to 18: 00 (last entry 16: 30)
With reservation (within the previous day) by calling the number 0445/962029 or by writing to the email [Email protected]
Individuals: € 12,00
Groups (minimum 15 people): € 10,00
Children under 11 years free