Il Diocesan Museum and the Tiepolo Galleries, started in 1610 from Patriarch Francesco Barbaro, it was completed a century later and was a young man to decorate it Giambattista Tiepolo.
His artistic presence, considered the last great painter of the Venetian school, is so strong that he deserves the Friulian capital the name of "City of the Tiepolo".
The collection of the museum includes about 700 works, including a rich collection of wooden sculptures and the eighteenth-century frescoes of the Venetian master, as "The Expulsion of the Rebel Angels" located in the grand staircase, while the Galleries present biblical stories, such as Abraham and the Angels, Rachel hiding the idols, e The angel that appears to Sara, three medallions on the ceiling representatives Agar in the desert e Jacob's dream, six monochromatic statues in fake niches and two chiaroscuros on the headboards. In the Sala Rossa, or the Ecclesiastical Court, there is the large fresco with the Judgment of Solomon and the four major prophets, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, and Daniel.
The interventions of Giovanni from Udine on ceiling of the Blue Room. In Delfino Library, built by Patriarch Dionysius, there are preserved illuminated codes, incunabula, cinquecentine and rare first editions - place where time seems to have stopped.
Curiosity: The visit from the museum ends by following a characteristic "Luminous scale".
Address: Piazza del Patriarcato, 1 - 33100 Udine
Phone: 0432 25003