Il Diocesan Museum of Camerino, in the province of Macerata, was inaugurated in 1965 at the behest of prof. Giacomo Boccanera whose intent was to enhance and promote knowledge of heritage historical artististico until then kept in the cathedral area of SS. Annunziata and in the surrounding diocesan territory.
The museum was placed in Archbishop's Palace but it was unfortunately closed, just two years after its inauguration, due to the 1967 earthquake that seriously damaged it.
Finally reopened to the public in 2004, it was further expanded and enriched with works.
within the museum they are preserved paintings e sculptures of exquisite workmanship, among which the cycle of wall paintings of the second half of the fourteenth century, by an anonymous painter from Rimini, who represent the Crucifixion of Jesus, Saint Seraphim e Saint Venantius, Saint and donor, Saint Anthony the Abbot, Madonna with the Child Jesus enthroned, St. John the Evangelist; the scourging of Jesus Christ and San Francesco d'Assisi who receives the stigmata.
Also worth mentioning is the processional banner with the Our Lady of Mercy, Jesus Christ portacroce between Saint Anatolia and San Cataldo, the table of Angeluccio di Diotallevi, the statue of Saint Anatolia and that of Saint Lucia, the work of the so-called Master of the Madonna of Macereto.
It is also possible to admire the statue of Saint Sebastian from the fifteenth century, built in polychrome wood, from the workshop of Domenico Indivini, the triptych with the crucifixion of Jesus Christ between St. Michael the Archangel e St. John Baptist of 1454, tempera, attributed to Girolamo di Giovanni, the table of Giovanni Boccati of the 1466, which represents Saint Sebastian, oil on board of Luca Signorelli and that on canvas of Giuseppe Bartolomeo Chiari: the Holy Family with Saint John of the Cross and Saint Teresa of Avila.
The "Vision of Saint Philip Neri", Of 1730, of Giambattista Tiepolo.
In museum precious liturgical objects are also exhibited sacred vestments.
Piazza Cavour 12, 62032 Dressing room MC
tel. 338 5835046 (guided tours)
tel. 0737 630400 (location)