Il Antonio Salinas Archaeological Museum it is found at Palermo and contains one of the richest collections ofPunic art and greek ofItaly and testimonies of much of the history of the Sicily.
Composed in part by private collections purchased or donated to museum itself over the centuries, is dedicated to Antonio Salinas, famous archaeologist e numismatic di Palermo. It is part of the monumental complex dell 'Olivella, together with church di San Ignazio with the adjacent Oratory.
The construction of the architectural complex it began at the end of the sixteenth century designed by the architect Antonio Muttone for the House of Fathers of Congregation of San Filippo Neri and also includes the church of St. Ignatius and l 'Oratory of San Filippo Neri.
After the issue, in the 1886, of the law on the suppression of religious orders of the 1866 the building was confiscated Congregation and became the seat of the national museum.
To perform the transformation work the construction was completely overturned by its original form in order to go to meet the different needs museums.
Starting from those years and until today there have been many transformations that the same has undergone. During the Second World War Jole Bovio Marconi, director of the Museum, moved all the material stored inside and transport it in the convent of San Martino delle Scale.
This, of course, preserved the collection from the destruction of the bombings. At the end of the war the Bovio Marconi he took care of the work of rearrangement.
In the 2009 museum has been closed for the opening of the construction site restoration and of refurbishment of the structure. THE jobs, which were to end in the 2012, are still in progress in the 2015 and the museum remains closed.
However, some have been opened in the 2014 ambienti located on the ground floor for one show dedicated to Antonino Salinas, to celebrate the hundred from his death.
On the ground floor, there is a section dedicated to finds unearthed during underwater excavations: materials that were part of the cargo of the ships and ranging from the culture of the gods Punic to that of the Romans.
At the section Phoenician two big belong sarcophagi anthropomorphs of the fifth century BC, there are also sculptures di Phoenician deities e votive stele da Mozia and from Lilibeo, Together with crockery vitreous from the settlement of Monte Porcara (Bagheria).
All 'archeological area some rooms are dedicated with the recomposition of the pediment oriental with Gorgon of the C Temple, numerous metopes with mythological reliefs, sculptures byarchaic age and classical, the Selinuntina table celebrating the wealth of the city, the gemstone stele the sanctuary of Zeus Meilichios.
In a further environment are instead kept finds from Himera and you have recomposed it and I side of theAthenaion, temple dedicated to goddess Athena.
Other rooms still hold objects and sculptures from Solunto, Megara Hyblaea, Tindari, Camarina ed Agrigento.
Between works the most evocative and of greater artistic importance is the great one Bronze aries of the III century BC coming from Syracuse, Heracles shooting down the deer, Roman copy from an original of Lisippo, and a Roman marble copy of the Satyr side of Prassitele.
TheRoman times is documented by a collection of sculptures e mosaics detached from the villas of Piazza Vittoria a Palermo, near which the forum of the Roman city was located.
In other rooms of the museum have forwarded found space too prehistoric cultures present in caves of the territory Palermo.
Address: Via Bara All'Olivella, 24, 90133 Palermo