The Church of San Francesco it's a construction twelfth century Gothic, rebuilt between 1318 and 1377, which contains many remains of frescoes fourteenth and fifteenth century.
The architecture of the church It is extremely simple: unique ornaments are a frame that runs all around the edge of the roof, the windows with pointed arch, a circular window and a canopy placed above the main door, ending with a lunette where a Madonna is depicted with the Child and Saints, repainted by Casucci, who also built the bell tower, restored in the 1927. With the exception of the lower part of the façade which is made of travertine blocks, the whole building is in brick burnished by time which underlines the particular nudity of the Gothicizing gothic style.
The main chapel was the patronage of the rich Bacci family, to whom we owe the commission of the works that decorate it. The frescoes were begun in the 1447 from Bicci of Lorenzo who executed the four Evengelists in the vault, the two doctors of the church in the sottarco and the Last Judgment on the external front of the triumphal arch. Piero della Francesca was probably called to replace Bicci di Lorenzo after his death.
The frescoes di Piero della Francesca they depict the fifteen scenes of the Legend of the True Cross and were completed in the 1466. After the restoration of the famous frescoes, the Bacci chapel has been museumized, allowing access to small groups of visitors (25 people at a time every 30 minutes) from a side door of the church.
Stupendous and of the highest quality is the great Crucifix of the altar, a work attributed to Duccio di Boninsegna and most likely datable to the 1289 year of the reopening to the cult of the church where it is kept; his outline and the vividness of the facial features express a resigned pain.
The right chapel, which is not architecturally part of the church, is dedicated to S Antonio of Padua: the vault and the back wall were frescoed by Francesco and Antonio Nasini of Casteldelpiano that executed between the 1651 and the 1680.
The cloister adjacent, recently restored, has a well called "della Bufala" in the center, built by Ferdinando dei Medici in the 1590 and, on the walls, some crenellated tombstone and remains of frescoes. Another well, built in 1465 by the Sienese, can be seen in the adjacent square of the former hospital.
Daylight savings time: 9 weekdays: 00-19: 00 - Saturday 9: 00-18: 15 - Sunday 13: 00-18: 15
Winter time: 9 weekdays: 00-19: 00 - Saturday 9: 00-17: 45 - Sunday 13: 00-17: 45
During the Easter period: every day 9: 00-16: 00