Le Sources of Clitunno they extend over an area of almost 10.000 square meters along the Via Flaminia between in the municipality of Campello sul Clitunno.
Their appearance is really impressive; the pond, clear mirror of water populated with nasturtiums aquatic, do not forget me area of swamp, swans and ducks, and the magnificence of the colors of the willows and poplars of cypress trees inspired since ancient times painters, poets and writers.
Il Clitunno it is a river that flows in the heart of Italy, the green Umbrian land.
Born at the Via Flaminia route, a Campello sul Clitunno and flows for 60 km to finally throw into the river Topino.
Known already in ancient times, he had as his guardian the god Jupiter Clitunno, revered in the temple adjacent and just in that place, in the month of May they held in his honor the sacred clitumnalia.
Il temple unfortunately it was destroyed in the imperial period, but it was later rebuilt in epoch Lombard, partly with the original materials.
With reference to pond the poet Virgilio recalls the triumph of the Romans during the Second Punic War when these, allies of the Umbrians, forced Hannibal to escape following a bloody battle held near Spoleto.
It seems that at the time the river was navigable and consequently had a greater range than the current one. As proof of this there is a famous letter of Pliny the Younger.
A time on the banks of the Clitunno wonderful and sumptuous villas stood out, while now there are only a few modest houses.
The change, according to some scholars, is due to the consequences of the great earthquake of Constantinople of the 446, according to others still to the de L'Aquila of 1703.
Even the poets of modern times have not remained insensitive to the evocative atmosphere of the Clitunno; Thomas Macaulay he remembers it in his Orazio e Byron in the fourth book ofAroldo.
In our country, obviously, the most obvious reference goes to Giosuè Carducci, which inspired by a stay in Spoleto he composed the poem "At the Fonti del Clitumno", Subsequently published in the"Hate barbarian"
Near the sources, in the 1852, have been built a park and an artificial lake.
Le References they took on their current appearance in the second half of the nineteenth century thanks to the work of the count Paolo Campello della Spina.
In the 2011 'Unesco included the temple which rises on its banks among the patrimonies of humanity.
Address: 06042 Fonti del Clitunno, Campello sul Clitunno PG