Castello di Marchierù


Municipality:Villafranca Piemonte
Region: Piemonte e Valle d'Aosta

Contact the abode

Originally belonging to the Savoia Acaja family, Marchierù Castle was built as a defensive stronghold and as such was a fortified complex of buildings dating back to the 12th century and consisting of the Castle, the noble Chapel, the caretaker's annexes, the stables and the old Soave farmstead. In the 18th century it was transformed into a private residence, its inner courtyard decorated with distinctive coloured horizontal bands in the neo-Gothic style.


Set within walls that completely surround it, the 19th-century park features interesting “broderie”-styled boxwood topiary, with suggestive corners devoted to hydrangeas, peonies and roses that grace paths meandering their way into the shade of centuries-old trees, leading up to the modern swimming pool.


Primarily the home of the Savoia Acaja family, the Castle passed through the generations and was inherited by some of the oldest and most prestigious dynasties in the Piedmont region, from the Petitti family to the Solaro del Macello, and from Counts Filippi of Baldissero to Prunas Tola Arnaud of San Salvatore, whose direct descendant is currently the owner in residence.

The history of
Castello di Marchierù
The sites where Borgo Soave and Marchierù were located were always highly coveted, and the very origin of the latter’s name is derived from the Italian word “marcio”, which means ‘rotten’ or ‘soaked’; the area was in fact a source of the so-called 'fontanili', a place where water from the underground aquifer layer came to the surface, forming pure, crystal-clear pools that remained at a constant temperature of around 12 to 16 degrees Celsius all year round, resulting in permanently temperate irrigation.

There are other hypotheses as to the etymology of the name Marchierù, although they appear less reliable. Some believe the name came from the word 'marca', meaning the mark or boundary with the historical Italian state, the Marquisate of Saluzzo, which was indeed true, although there were never actually any 'Marquises of Marchierù'.

Legend would also have it that the name was derived from the old French word 'macheron', roughly translated as heap of rubble, referring to the outcome of Federico Barbarossa's invasion.

The first overlords of Marchierù were the Signori di Barge. However, all their property in Soave was ceded to Tommaso II of Savoy, the Lord of Piedmont, by the deed of 11 March 1251.

The Acaja family, who resided in a castle in Villafranca, kept Marchierù for their descendants and hence Filippo d'Acaja gifted it to his natural daughter Francesca, who went on to marry Antonio Bocchiardi.

Through the latter, the estate was passed down to the Petitti cousins, sons of Beatricina d'Acaja, who kept it in the family until 1482.

In 1483, Marchierù fell under the rule of the House of Savoy again, and one half of the property was assigned to Filiberto, who issued from the illegitimate branch of the Acaja-Racconigi family, while the other half was given to his sister Claudia, wife of Besso Ferrero, the Marquis of Masserano.

Their dominion was however relatively short-lived, as in 1640 the Castle and its lands were passed onto Counts Solaro del Macello via the descendancy of the Solaro di Morettas, who were the family of Ottavia, Filiberto d'Acaja’s bride.

The Castle was subsequently inherited by heirs of the Cacherano di Osasco and Filippi di Baldissero families until 1827, when Count Vittorio Ignazio Filippi di Baldissero redeemed the entire property (which in around 1750 had been established as a Commenda of the Sovereign Military Order of Malta) from his cousin Policarpo Cacherano d’Osasco.

The Filippi family was an ancestral one, dating right back to Alineo, Viscount of Auriate in 878, and was considered one of the most illustrious in the municipality of Cavallermaggiore; going back to ancient times family members served in many civic magistracies and were named Decurion cavalry officers of Turin in 1583.

One of the notable members of this family was Vittorio Antonio, who in 1736 was aide-de-camp to Prince Eugene of Savoy in the siege of Vienna. He was named Field Marshal of Austria, General Commander of the Imperial Cavalry and commander of the Hungarian Army.

The man who restored the Marchierù domain to its former splendour was Carlo Alberto Filippi of Baldissero, standard-bearer of the Genoa Cavalry in the First War of Independence. He was the godson and attendant page of King Carlo Alberto of Savoy, a member of the Royal Academy of Agriculture in Turin and the creator of important innovations in the agricultural field, which were emulated by his cousin and friend Camillo Benso of Cavour, who often stayed at Marchierù. He also began work on the irrigation network for the countryside around his properties, which was completed by his son Enrico.

His mother was Maria Canera di Salasco, Lady-in-Waiting to Queen Maria Teresa, sister of Count Carlo Canera di Salasco, the Chief of Staff of the Piedmontese Army who signed the armistice that was named after him and which decreed the end of the First War of Independence.

Enrico married Maria Arnaud of San Salvatore, a descendant of two of the most important French dynasties at the time, namely, the Richelieu and the Gallifet families.

The last heir of the Filippi family, Camilla, married Count Vittorio Prunas Tola, and it is through their first-born son Severino, likewise a member of the Academy of Agriculture, that the Castle and estate came into the possession of the present owners.

Facilities and services: exclusive events and wedding receptions in
The residence can be visited between April and October, please contact us for more details.

Other residence in the region

Offering the same facilities and services

Offering similar experiences

Territory: Circuito del Pinerolese



Territory: Circuito del Pinerolese

swimming pool
Pets allowed
disabled access
Event salons:1