Palazzo di Camugliano

Region: Toscana

Contact the abode


Palazzo Niccolini Bourbon is located in the historical centre of Florence, between Santa Maria Novella and Via Tornabuoni, and dates back to the 16th century. Palazzo di Camugliano is situated on the ‘piano nobile’ first floor and overlooks a wonderful rooftop garden where guests can relax after spending the day in the hustle and bustle of the city.

The town residence of the Marchesi Niccolini di Camugliano, the Palazzo has been meticulously restored to offer a unique and timeless hospitality experience. High-quality comfort, sumptuous furnishings, frescoes, stucco work and precious fabrics will ensure you enjoy an unforgettable stay in Florence.

Two convivial and relaxing dining rooms and the ancient kitchens are at the guests' disposal; breakfast is served here in the morning with a selection of cold cuts and cheeses produced at a small farm just outside Florence, along with fresh fruit, pastries, croissants and freshly cooked dishes prepared on-site. Our attentive and personalised service ensures that guests feel as though they are staying in their own Florentine home. We have done our utmost to preserve the residence’s original characteristics, so that visitors feel welcomed at this noble residence steeped in history and charm.

Enjoy our traditional afternoon tea, refreshing welcome drink, and 7 o'clock aperitif, designed to be tastefully incorporated into your Florentine day.

Palazzo di Camugliano has retained its original appearance and has not been modified but only enhanced to embrace its new function, offering accommodation for overnight stays in Florence. The hotel consists of 10 rooms, all located on the ‘piano nobile’ first floor and divided into 2 Suites with private access to the rooftop garden, 3 Junior Suites and 5 Deluxe rooms, as well as an Apartment located on the mezzanine floor. Each of the rooms previously served a different function. One of the Junior Suites, the ‘Baldacchino Rosso’ or ‘Red Canopy Room’ was the room where the piano was located and served as the ballroom, while the ‘Stucchi Room’, characterised by its striking ceiling displaying the Niccolini family coats of arms in the centre with the crests of the four wives of the four marquises who succeeded each other, starting with Caterina Price, Lorenzo's wife, was formerly the Palazzo’s dining room.

The ’Camera delle Stelle’ or ‘Room under the Stars’ is one of the Deluxe rooms and was originally the family chapel, where christenings and engagements were celebrated and where offerings from the countryside were left. Another is the ‘Cina Rossa’ or ‘Red China Room’, which originated as a twin room with two antique four-poster beds and a precious marble bathroom. The ‘Appartamento’, meanwhile, was the Palazzo's archive, where all the Niccolini family documents were kept. These have now been relocated to another part of the building.



The Da Sommaia family purchased various buildings from the Pollini and Federighi families between 1500 and 1532, which were located where our Palazzo now stands. Over the years, transformations and unifications of the old pre-existing residences were carried out on behalf of this same family. There are no appreciable traces of the original structure, at least externally, because when the family line died out at the beginning of the 17th century, the property was acquired by the Bourbon del Monte Santa Maria family, who subsequently enlarged the complex by purchasing other neighbouring houses, radically altering both the external façades and the distribution of the interior spaces. It was during this period that the rare rooftop garden was designed. The Palazzo was then purchased in 1863 by the Niccolini family, who made a number of changes and, above all, adapted the interiors to the taste of the time, without however interfering with its 17th-century character. Major restoration and consolidation work was subsequently carried out in 1964.

The current structure is located inside what used to be a noble residence built in the 1400s, which was owned by other noble families before being acquired by the Marquises Niccolini di Camugliano in 1863. The ceilings inside are almost five and a half metres high. Some are frescoed, while others feature coffered ceilings that have been entirely panelled and painted. The furnishings are the original ones belonging to the Marquises Niccolini di Camugliano family, who, contrary to what often happens in many historical residences converted into hotels, decided not to make any modifications to the interior décor. The Marquises lived in the Palazzo until 1980, when they moved to their country estate in Camugliano, some 30 kilometres south-east of Pisa, and about 60 kilometres north-east of Florence, which is a grand residence with four corner towers and a monumental staircase at the front. It is surrounded by well-cultivated countryside, enabling the marquises to pursue their love of hunting in the local area.

There are two large paintings on display in Palazzo di Camugliano depicting two representatives of the Niccolini family who served as cardinals. One of these is Cardinal Agnolo Niccolini (1502-1567), who was a trusted man of Medici Duke Cosimo I. He was Ambassador for Siena from 1547 and became the first Governor of the city in 1557.

After his wife's death in 1550, Agnolo was named as a Cardinal. He was assigned the diocese of Pisa and was very nearly elected as the next Pope. His loyalty to the Medici dynasty was finally blessed in 1637 with the granting of the title of Marquess of Ponsacco and Camugliano by Ferdinando II to Filippo di Giovanni (1586-1666). The other Cardinal depicted is Pietro (1572-1651), who became Archbishop of Florence in 1632. There is also a marble bust dedicated to Lorenzo Niccolini (1797-1868), the man who saved the family from the state of bankruptcy that his father Giuseppe very nearly brought upon them.

One of the family’s ancestors, Giovanni (1544-1611), had bought a large building in Florence on Via de' Servi, which Lorenzo’s father Giuseppe (1761-1811) started running into the ground. In 1824, Lorenzo was obliged to sell it to avoid the family having to file for bankruptcy, but in 1842 he had a stroke of genius by marrying the very wealthy Englishwoman, Catherine Stafford Price. Thanks to his wife's dowry, he was able to safeguard the family's heritage, restore the farm estate and purchase the Bourbon Palazzo in Florence to which he transferred the family's priceless historical archive. This is still preserved in a wing of the building today and is the object of studies all over the world.



Great attention is paid to every detail at Palazzo di Camugliano, starting with breakfast, which is included and is served from 7.30 am until 12.00 noon. The menu offers a wide selection of croissants, fresh fruit, jams, panini mignon, toasted bread, cereal, yogurt, pastries and eggs and cold cuts and cheeses from a local farm in Mugello. The staff will be pleased to accommodate all guest requests if there are any special dietary requirements or if guests wish to eat something in particular.

Complimentary Wi-Fi codes are provided upon arrival, and the minibar and kettle with hot beverage preparations are included in the room. Teatime is served at 5 pm, with a selection of teas accompanied by homemade biscuits, while at around 6.30 pm, a glass of Venetian prosecco from the estate of Marchesa Alessandra Niccolini di Camugliano is offered, with canapés. Access to the gym, located a very short distance from our palace, is also included. The staff members are all available to help with restaurant or museum reservations and will be glad to help with any further enquiries guests may have.

Other residence in the region

Offering the same facilities and services

Offering similar experiences



disabled access
External use
Internal use
Garden use
Numbers of beds:24
Event salons:3
Numbers of seats for events:40