Stay in a historic building in the center of Rome
The Palazzo is just a few minutes walk from the most important attractions of Rome, in a suggestive location with typical and typical restaurants where you can better enjoy your Roman holidays. If you are looking for a charming hotel in the heart of the historic center, Navona Palace is the right choice; you will have comfortable suites equipped with all comforts. The ideal choice for those in search of a particularly charming place to spend an unforgettable stay in Rome.
The Palace is located in the Parione district, as is the emblem on the façade. Almost as big as the entire block, bordered by Via della Pace, Piazza del Fico and Vicolo della Fossa, the Palazzo is located close to Piazza Navona; from its windows you can see the lovely church of Santa Maria della Pace and immerse yourself in Roman life with the chess players of the Fico bar, one of the most typical and popular bars in Rome.
The origins of the building, to date, are not known exactly but in the plans of the time it is reported in its entirety.
It is in fact present in the map of Rome of 1661 - 1662 "drawing and prospect of the Alma city of Rome ...." designed by Antonio Tempesta and engraved in copper. The Palace is shown again in the 1676 plan drawn and engraved by Giovanni Battista Falda "New plan and elevation of the city of Rome ...".
The plant of the Falda is very reliable indeed the historian D. Gnoli of it writes "(...) it is admirable for exactitude of reproduction and fineness of execution (...)"
In the axonometric view (a bird's eye view) piazza della Pace is marked and the building in all its completed form. The same completed form of block is found in the later plan of another important architect who "definitively fixes in the projection, in the figuration (...) the type of the new plan of Rome": Giovanni Batista Nolli. Reproduced with modifications in the 1748 even though he was already working on it in the 1736 as shown by some correspondence of the epoch.
In the plant some numbers can be seen close to the Palace, they were annotations destined to a descriptive volume of the plant which, however, was never drafted.
News on the consistency of the building date back to the 1800, when the owner Luigi Arati asks for "raising a terrace existing inside his property with location in vicolo della Fossa" (25.01.1872).
With the decree n.17 a favorable opinion is expressed with the “release of the license for raising in the shape of the drawing presented up to 20,20 meters from the ground floor the side of its building marked in red in the annexed plan within the large courtyard with entrance to the 5 of the vicolo della Fossa and ..., in the piazza del Fico nn.25 - 28 and in via della Pace nn.34- 37 ”. The license is issued "with the reservation that you always want to save and integrate the rights of third parties ..." and in this case it is Mr Grazioli who asks for the easement on the border wall, located on vicolo della Fossa (right to build in adherence).
In the period papers the building is represented both in plan and in elevation. In elevation there is only one section of the elevation, that is, the one affected by the elevation.
The ownership is always of the Arati family until it is donated to the Opera Pia Sussidio Arati, as evidenced by the assessment of ownership dating back to the 1940.
In the fifties the Ministry of Public Education, in reference to the 1 Law June 1939 n. 1089 "on the protection of things of artistic and historical interest" .. considered that the tables and the door belonging to the house located in Via (...) of Peace 32 - 27, Vicolo della Fossa 1-3, Piazza del Fico 27 ( ...) the table in Via della Pace, a remarkable document of the XVIIIth century with the emblem of the Rione Graffito, the inscription in Piazza del Fico document attesting the arrangement of the square by the De Foppis brothers and the door of Via della Fossa, an interesting architectural element of the XVIIth, arched with rustication of good workmanship "
Subsequently other properties succeeded until the Company PR.IM. "Real Estate Company" buys it in the early years of the 2000.
The company immediately began a major work of restoration and consolidation of the whole building in agreement with the Superintendency for Architectural Heritage of Rome and Lazio; in fact, with the official in charge, a long collaboration begins which brings the work to its current splendor.
The facades are sober: on Via della Pace a triple order of stringcourse cornices quadripartiano horizontally the same giving a compact image, with the exception of the two end spans where there is a slight displacement that disappears at the level of the roof where the pitch is interrupted by the presence of a terrace placed in a symmetrical position. The building introduces the roof termination with a large crowning frame. On this façade there are two plaques, one of which is mentioned in the motivation of the application of the architectural constraint.
The turnarounds of the facades are highlighted by smooth travertine stones in the one between via della Pace and Piazza del Fico in the basement and as angular with bosses to highlight the noble floor (in the turn with vicolo della Fossa there is also a termination on the ground floor) bugne), to then return smooth to the upper floors. The façade, with five bays, has windows (some trabeate) that open immediately above the string course cornices; some of them have original strips of peperino.
On Piazza del Fico, in an eccentric position, a rounded portal opens, always with a finely crafted and beautifully preserved solution. Immediately behind it, inside a display case, there is an elegant newsstand depicting Madonna and Child, a sign of the Roman tradition of illuminating parts that are a bit hidden and dangerous through votive elements. A plaque, placed under the aedicule, remembers “ANTONIUS BAPTISTA FRATES DE FOPPIS COEMPTIS EXTURBATISQUE ABOUT DOMIBUS AREOLAM HANC DESIGNATUMQUE VIAE SPATIUM LAXAVERE DE HER YEAR SAL MDCXXXIV”
On Vicolo della Fossa the angular solution of the ashlar and noble piano nobile also repeated here in the majestic portal, as already pointed out, subjected to constraint as an interesting architectural element of the seventeenth century, it is placed outside the compact façade on a lower elevation which exalts its greatness even more. A semicircular arch that develops over two floors, visually occupies all the façade which, in fact, presents only two small openings. Majestic for the solution adopted of large ashlars and travertine inserts that mark the beginning of the arch and the keystone.