La Basilica of San Petronio it is the most important church of Bologna and, despite being unfinished, it is the sixth largest church inEurope, dopo Saint Peter's in the Vatican, Saint Paul in London Seville Cathedral, Milan Cathedral and the Florence Cathedral.
With its impressive dimensions (132 meters in length and 60 in width, height of the vault of 44,27 meters, while that of the facade stands on 51 meters), dominates the beautiful square Greater. It is the last great late Gothic work of Italy, which began shortly after Milan Cathedral .
Its construction, under the direction of Antonio di Vincenzo, it is due to the decision of the Council of the seventeenth century in Bologna, to build a temple dedicated to the Bishop Petronio, patron of the city from 1253; the first stone was laid on June 7 1390, in a solemn procession.
Very famous the Petronian musical chapel whose most prestigious symbol is the oldest organo still in use, built around the 1470 da Lorenzo da Prato.
Giacomo Ranuzzi started the marble coating, which was never completed, in 1538 on drawing of Domenico from Varignana. The finished portion is decorated with works by the sculptors Jacopo della Quercia, Aspertini Friend e Alfonso Lombardi.
The Porta Magna
The central portal, started in 1425, is an absolute masterpiece of Jacopo della Quercia. Sui pillars scenes of theOld Testament, onarchivolt 18 prophets, onarchitravand stories of the New Testament and on eardrum la "Madonna with Child" is "Sant'Ambrogio and San Petronio". The central part of the tympanum is instead the work of Amico Aspertini.
The side doors
Extraordinary the "Resurrection" by Alfonso Lombardi on the left door and "Deposition" by Amico Aspertini on the right door.
The interior of the temple, although built in different eras, is characterized by an admirable classical sense, far away from the gothic beyond. It is divided into three naves supported by ten polygon rib pylons, on which the archi and times. in lower aisles they open twenty-two chapels.
The most important restoration was originally the facade it was executed between 1972 and the 1979 from Superintendency for artistic and historical assets, bringing back the masterpiece of Jacopo della Quercia and the entire stone face to the pristine splendor. This restoration represents the first example of a new multidisciplinary scientific approach for the conservation of stone materials.
Among the historical events that have marked the life of the basilica the most significant are theImperial Coronation of Charles V (1530) and the celebration of the IX and X session the Council of Trent (1547).
Piazza Galvani, 5, 40124 Bologna - Telephone: 051 231415
Opening hours: 07: 45-14: 00, 15: 00-18: 00
The Holy Mass is celebrated:
in weekdays at 8 - 11 (Saturday even at 17)
And in the holidays at 8 - 9 - 10 - 11,30 - 18