The church of St. Mary of the Admiral owes its name toAdmiral was originally the fleet of Roger II of Altavilla, George of Antioch that built it around the middle of the Twelfth century near his own palazzo, to thank the Mother of God of the protection he had granted him in his long military life.
The plant is a inscribed cross, a typical detail of the Byzantine churches of the late period, with the apse in the East and the facade to the west, to encourage prayer towards the east. THE'internal atrium it is dominated by times, supported by the eight column of the old porch. The vault of the hall was frescoed da Olivio Sozzi in 1744, to celebrate the theme of Glory of the Benedictine Order. The effect of colors is extraordinary, given by the background of the blue skies in contrast with the dark gray of the monks' clothes.
Theapparatus of mosaics, to completely cover the times he arches of the Greek cross dell 'original Byzantine church, is one of the most important in the world.
The climax is represented by the dome which has in the center the Pantocrator full-length, seated on the throne, to bless with his right hand, while holding the Gospel with his left, keeping his feet resting on the Earth by way of a stool. Around the Christ the four archangels in flight. In drum the eight prophets are represented, holding the scrolls of the prophecies, and the four evangelists are placed in the niches.
From the 3 July 2015 the Church of the Martorana is part of the World Heritage UNESCO in the context of"Arab-Norman itinerary of Palermo, Cefalù and Monreale".
Piazza Bellini, 3, 90133 Palermo
From Monday to Saturday 9.30 - 13.00 / 15.30 - 17.30
Sunday and 9.00-10.30 Holidays