The Borgo Cornalese in Villastellone
Borgo Cornalese is an architectural complex located just outside Villastellone, less than half an hour by car or train from Turin.
The complex consists of the eighteenth-century Villa dei Conti de Maistre, a large park of 16 hectares, a mill of the '500, an ancient millenary village consisting of two agricultural courtyards of over 11.000 square meters under restoration and a beautiful church in neoclassical style dedicated to the Madonna of pains.
Borgo Cornalese and in particular the Villa de Maistre is the ideal location for television, film and advertising productions, photo and video shooting and events such as car rallies or sports and trade fairs.
Production houses, event organizations and communication companies have at their disposal large open spaces and some interiors of both the main villa and the side courtyards that can satisfy the most varied needs: industrial environments, old granaries, stables, a mill with grinders stone, long arcades, a garden with a large rose garden and one of the largest magnolias in Piedmont, a park of 16 hectares, long avenues of poplars or lime trees, over 180
hectares of uncontaminated agricultural land with still some woods and a marsh, a private chapel, historical premises such as the lemon house and the woodshed, elegant rooms with still original frescoes.
It is a very large area, but logistically very practical, so much so that it has been baptized by local newspapers as the cinecittà of the Province of Turin.
The Villa is one of the main attractions of the area adjacent to the CollinaPo Park and the entire area of Borgo Cornalese is included among the main beauties of the UNSECO MAB (Man and Biosphere) program.
In the Italian garden of the Villa there are over 100 roses of various types and colors while the 16-hectare park is made up of oaks, linden trees, beeches, poplars and many other plants that every year host different species of migratory birds such as woodcocks, swallows. , wood pigeons and bee-eaters.
The coat of arms of the same city of Villastellone shows golden marigolds that are taken from the coat of arms of the de Maistre family.
The history of the Borgo Cornalese
The recent studies conducted on the Borgo Cornalese settlement allow us to redefine, with a good approximation, a different story from the one that until now told of an alleged ancient Bulgarian settlement.
Both the analysis of the walls and the investigations conducted on the archival documentation have revealed a complex history with ancient origins.
The buildings tell us about a millenary settlement, a fortified construction to defend the territory, located on the tip of the Poirino plateau; A first settlement has been identified, perhaps Templar, which can be placed around the year 1000, around which the entire fortified shelter developed and organized.
There are still traces of an ancient square tower, which was almost certainly in defense of a first city wall; then we find a portion of a round tower, the ruins of which were later used as a dovecote.
The vicolo del Borgo - the ancient courtyard - reveals the fourteenth century castle, with its beautiful walls with styled joints and supporting buttresses; some faint traces of frescoed plaster are still visible, from the posthumous period to the first installation.
Coffered ceilings, vaults, cellars and iceboxes take us on a journey into remote centuries, even if the centuries, the struggles between the lords and the depredations, have left the ancient architecture devoid of any removable decoration.
The history of this aggregate, with a unitary appearance, but with buildings with very different typological characteristics, expresses through its walls a millenary development, also supported by the archive correspondence.
The history, ascertained, starts from the Aleramo lineage, of Salic origin, and develops between the Marquisate of Saluzzo, that of Monferrato and that of Vasto.
In fact, archival research leads us to the court of Emperor Frederick I who in 1163 confirmed the possession of the Feud of Borgaro (one of the ancient names of Borgo Cornalese) to the Marquises of Romagnano.
In 1224 the white monks of the Casanova Abbey, Cistercian friars, obtained permission from Lorenzo di Borgaro to build the canal that would become the Gora di Borgo in 1285 and on which we still find the mill, rebuilt in 1597.
The elders of the Borgo (a special thanks to Augusto who gave us precious traces to follow), have always mentioned a building like the Castle, whose existence has been sanctioned by documents that speak of the Castello di Borgo starting from the early 1300s. .
Between 1300 and 1600 the territories of Borgo Cornalese are the scene of numerous bloody battles that make the village the object of looting and destruction, some traces on the oldest buildings testify. They only let us glimpse the presence of a floor higher than the current one, certainly destroyed and no longer rebuilt.
Borgo Cornalese retains its strategic importance until about the mid-1500s, when the most important centers begin to have fortified walls, while the small defensive fiefs cease their function.
Little by little the Borgo is transformed and becomes an agricultural center under the "new" villa: the current Villa de Maistre.
In 1300 the Costa family settled there, treasurers of the D'Acaya princes, who remained there until the end of the 700th century. Between 1799 and 1816, the Borgo was aggregated to the territory of Villastellone. The 1850th-century Church of the Blessed Virgin of Sorrows was built in XNUMX by Duke Eugène-Alexandre Laval of Montmorency Montmorency, husband of Anne-Constance de Maistre, daughter of the philosopher Joseph de Maistre. It is a building of fine architectural workmanship with neoclassical lines.
Today the town retains the appearance of a self-sufficient medieval agricultural village, although it includes some buildings of more recent times, including the Church and the splendid Villa dei Conti de Maistre with its park.
The still working water mill is put into action by the waters of Bealera or Gora di Borgo.
* Borgo Cornalese is mentioned as Borgo, Borgo di Borgo, Borgaro and many other variants
References come from:
• Turin State Archive
• Historic Archive of Carmagnola
• Casanova's carton
And numerous publications by the Society for Historical, Archaeological and Artistic Studies of the Province of Cuneo.
Borgo Cornalese is the subject of an ambitious conservative restoration project that will last several years and involves over 20.000 square meters of historic buildings.
For this reason it hosts professional craftsmen who know how to carry out important restoration works of frescoes, plasters, fixtures, furniture, works of art and walls but not only: great attention is given to the new materials necessary for the restoration of buildings such as resins, lime, colors and upholstery.
Used as location to film productions, television and advertising, Borgo Cornalese workshops are suitable for the needs of each production company: decoration, scenography, restoration and installations.
Moreover, Ludovico de Maistre, responsible for the location, is the founder of one production and communication company able to offer all the necessary services such as:
- photo services e video
- service cinema (generators, lighting, statues, special effects, etc.)
- video operators
- scenography e custom made arrangements
- post production and assembly
- runner assistance, qualified personnel and more
- permit management and public land occupation
Within the location there are numerous possibilities of parcheggio also for large vehicles and there are spaces for every type of generator.
Also I am available:
- decoration workshops, scenography e restoration with professional artisans directly on site.
- Agricultural vehicles and earthmoving available for every need
- Electricity with meters from 15 to 35 Kw