The Castle of Orsara
The Castle is located in Orsara in the Province of Alessandria and is a magnificent example of a historic fortified dwelling with an adjoining farm. About ten hectares of splendid vineyards completely replanted, most of Dolcetto, which degrade, extends to the feet of the ancient Castle.
The place of Orsara where both the castle and the farm are located are remembered for the first time in a document of the 1196.
In ancient times the feudal lords, the Marquises Malaspina, are remembered in a song of the "Purgatory" in the Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri; the Poet thanks them for the hospitality received during a visit.
Land and Castle then passed, following the marriage of Violante Malaspina, to the Counts Lodrone who lived there until 1530.
After numerous passages, the Castle has since the beginning of the '900 owned by the Remondini Family of Genoa which has proceeded to carry out an important renovation together with that of the Oratory dating back to the year 1000 and located at the foot of the Castle.
Agricultural activity and cellar
At the foot of the ancient Castello d'Orsara there are ten hectares of splendid vineyards completely replanted, most of which are Dolcetto.
Linked to the image of the Castle, the owners started an agricultural production of Doc wines mainly Barbera del Monferrato, Dolcetto d'Acqui, Brachetto, Chardonnay and Moscato.
Today this activity has been taken up by the wife and children of the current owner, with the intention of enhancing the Castello d'Orsara as well.
The current production is about 500 quintals of grapes with a potential vinification of about 350hl of excellent quality Doc wines
Bed & Breakfast
Castle guests can stay in an exclusive annex, open all year round.