Palazzo Avignonesi, XNUMXth century
Attributed to Jacopo Barozzi known as Vignola, it was built between 1542 and 1572, it has a local travertine façade with three levels above ground, the ground floor is covered with a "cushion" ashlar with horizontal linear recurrences, two magnificent lion heads at the sides of the central door above two benches also in travertine on the main floor, five windows open with alternating triangular and semicircular gables. At the center of the elevation is the coat of arms of the family. Inside the Palace there are rooms with frescoes and stuccos from the sixteenth century on the ground floor, while on the main floor eighteenth-century monochrome paintings with armor adorn the walls.
As a whole, this Palace stands out for the elegance of an important Tuscan Renaissance monument, one of the most noteworthy buildings of the XNUMXth century Poliziana architecture. The cellars that date back to the XNUMXth century develop in staggered levels built in brick arches or carved into the tuff called the Sasso di Montepulciano a monolith on which the whole village stands. A large, cylindrical-shaped cistern is located below the Marzocco column and visible from inside the cellars through a small window.
Belonging since its construction to the noble Avignonesi family (Avignonesi Della Lucilla since 1875), Palazzo Avignonesi was purchased by Cinzia Sorlini in 2017.