• IT | EN

Palazzo Marescalchi Belli

Experience the history of Rome
Site Search
Site Search
Advanced Search
No products found 0 results
Your search results

Palazzo Marescalchi Belli

City:
Region:

Get in touch with the Historic House

Palazzo Marescalchi Belli in Rome

Palazzo Marescalchi Belli, a prestigious dwelling dating back to the early years of the last century, is part of the noble palaces of the Campo Marzio district, precisely in Piazza del Porto of Ripetta, in Rome. The building consists of four floors. The base of the same houses the church of San Gregorio dei Muratori, with entrance from via Leccosa. Currently the building has a purely residential vocation, in fact it consists of private residences apartments to different owners. The same are served by a monumental elevator and staircase and enjoy a view of the Tiber River and the historic city. The last floor of the building is inhabited by the "Most star fountain" accommodation facility whose name is inspired by the presence in front of the building of the Fontana del Navigante, the lighthouse of the ancient fluvial port of the city, currently undergoing restoration.

The fountain is the legacy of the Port of Ripetta o Porto Clementino, together with the presence of two hydrometric columns. The same was commissioned to honor the hemicycle above the port of Ripetta, inaugurated the 16 of 1704 August under Pope Clemente Albani XI and built by Alessandro Specchi, with the collaboration of Carlo Fontana. The work of the Ticinese stonemason Filippo Bai, was made with travertine from the arches of the Colosseum collapsed for the earthquake of 3 February 1703. Equipped with a wide-brimmed basin, it has partly preserved the elements of the original eighteenth-century project: a rock on which a cup shaped like a shell valve rests collects the water that comes out from the mouths and the intertwined tails of two dolphins directly from the rock with a wide fan jet. The cliff is surmounted by three mountains and the wrought iron star, the heraldic symbols of the Albani family. In the mid-eighteenth century, the star was incorporated by an iron lantern, which similar to a small lighthouse facilitated the night navigation of the boats. The fountain has not been in operation for many years. The surfaces are covered by calcareous encrustations of various thickness, crusts and black spots.

The guests of the house are invited to participate in the recovery of the fountain and the history of the city through free donations that will be collected by the non-profit organization "space più forma", an association for the enhancement of spaces and places.

The story of Palazzo Marescalchi Belli

Palazzo Marescalchi Belli, the architect's work Fern Nori, exponent of the Roman baroque of the early twentieth century, was commissioned by Giacomo Marescalchi Belli. The building stands on the square of the port of Ripetta in correspondence of theancient port of Ripetta o Port Clementino, dedicated to the fluvial traffic of the city, inaugurated the 16 of 1704 August by Pope Clemente Albani XI and built by Alessandro Specchi with the collaboration of Carlo Fontana.

The Fountain of the Navigator of the Port of Ripetta

At the center of today's square is the Fontana del Navigante which constitutes, together with the hydrometric columns, the legacy of the ancient port. The same was commissioned by Pope Clement Albani XI to honor the hemicycle above the port of Ripetta. The fountain was the work of Filippo Bai, attributable to the late Baroque style, provided with a wide-rimmed basin surmounted by a wrought iron star, the heraldic symbol of the Albani family. In the mid-eighteenth century, the star was incorporated by an iron lantern, which similar to a small lighthouse facilitated the night navigation of the boats. After the 1870, following the work of settling the Lungotevere, the port of Ripetta was demolished and the fountain dismantled and stored in the municipal warehouses. Only in the 1930 was relocated in today's square of Porto di Ripetta, a short distance from the original location of the port. The fountain has not been in operation for many years. The surfaces are covered by calcareous encrustations of various thickness, crusts and black spots. Cracks, small defects, loss of stuccoing at joints are also observed. Moreover, in the 2014, the wrought iron lantern was removed due to the collapse of the metal rod supporting it.
The guests of the house are invited to participate in the recovery of the fountain and the history of the city through free donations that will be received by the non-profit organization space plus form, association for the enhancement of spaces and places.

The Church of San Gregorio dei Muratori

The basement of the building houses the church of San Gregorio dei Muratori, with entrance from via leccosa. It constituted the oratory of the church of the same name that disappeared today and was built in 1527 by the Confraternity of Muratori and dedicated to their patron saint, Gregory the Great. Originally it was near the port of Ripetta, now disappeared; it is currently incorporated into the building. The interior features frescoes from the life of Saint Gregory, decorated with stucco putti and gilding; the floor is in original terracotta. The church's peculiarity is that its nave is wider than it is long and the external façade, as we see it today, runs parallel to the nave, so that the two entrance doors enter on the right side of the church, rather than on the bottom.
Recently the church had been entrusted to the care of the Priestly Fraternity of St. Peter who celebrated you, on permission of Pope Benedict XVI, in ancient rite in Latin.

Currently it is a oratory dedicated to musical activities and concerts.

Stay in apartments with a view in the historic center of Rome

Palazzo Marescalchi Belli offers the possibility of stay in the apartments of the accommodation Most star fountain who live on the last floor of the building, from which it is possible enjoy a view of the historic city and the Tiber river.

The name of the "most star fountain" structure is inspired by the presence in front of the Fontana del Navigante building, the lighthouse of the city's ancient river port, currently undergoing restoration. The fountain is the legacy of the Porto di Ripetta or Porto Clementino, together with the presence of two hydrometric columns.
The guests of the house are invited to participate in the recovery of the fountain and the history of the city through free donations that will be collected by the non-profit organization "space più forma", an association for the enhancement of spaces and places.

A location for musical activities and concerts in Rome

The basement of the building houses the church of San Gregorio dei Muratori, with entrance from via Leccosa. It constituted the oratory of the church of the same name, now disappeared, built in 1527 by the Confraternity of Muratori and dedicated to their patron saint, Gregory the Great. Currently the church is an oratory dedicated to musical activities with the possibility of participating in concert programming.

Internet
Disabled accessibility
Bedrooms: 9
Beds: 30
Set In Outdoors: No
Set In Interior: No
Set In Garden: No
Vehicles accessibility for Events: No
Phone: +39 335 8048031
Address: Piazza del Porto of Ripetta, 1
City:
Region:
Postal Code: 00186
Country: Italy
Phone: +39 335 8048031

Get in touch with the Historic House

Compare Listings

<