The Castle of Porciano in Stia
The home in the castle is located on the top three floors of the large tower of the Castle of Porciano. It was built by the Counts Guidi in the thirteenth century.
The home is perfect for six persons but can house up to nine. We have five bedrooms and three bathrooms.
Large L-shaped living room with fireplace, comfortable sofas, large dining table. All the little comforts and details of a home that is lived in and loved. Books available both in Italian and English.
Provided with heating for which it is possible to rent it even out of season. Beautiful Tuscan ceramics for the table and well-equipped kitchen.
Superb terrace-solarium at the top of the Tower with views to 365 degrees.
Under- the- floor heating system makes it possible to rent even out of season.
Elevator that reaches the floor 4. Two short flights of stairs climb up the 5 floor.
We can not accept children and young people.
An elevator reaches up to the fourth floor. Two short flights of stairs lead to the fifth floor. Unfortunately we are unable to accept children and young teenagers. The lower floors host a museum which is open on Sundays and national holidays from May to October.
It is arranged on three floors connected by steep stairs: kitchenette, living room and bedroom with mini bathroom.
At 1 km and ½ from Porciano in the town of Stia: taverns, pharmacy, shops, bank, post office, etc.
The history of the Castle of Porciano
Porciano was owned by the Counts Guidi since the eleventh century. They were powerful feudal lords who owned many other castles in Tuscany and Romagna.
The large tower, which overlooks the village of Porciano, was built in the thirteenth century. With the rise of the branch of the Guidi Counts of Porciano-Modigliana it became one of the most important of their seats.
In the fourteenth century, during the period of maximum political and cultural importance of the castle, Dante Alighieri was a guest of the Counts Guidi during his exile from Florence. In Porciano he wrote three of his famous epistles: "Ai Principi e Popoli d’Italia", "Ai Fiorentini", "Ad Arrigo VII".
The Counts Guidi left Porciano in the 1442, when the last count, Ludovico, became a monk in Florence.
Later the castle passed first to the Republic of Florence and then to the Commune of Stia and was sold in 1793, already in a state of neglect, to an ancestor of the current owners, Abbot Conte Giuseppe Goretti de Flamini.
Later the castle passed on to the Republic of Florence and then to the town of Stia. It was sold in 1793, already in a state of neglect, to Abbot Conte Giuseppe Goretti de Flamini, ancestor of the current owners,
In time all the interior of the castle had collapsed and even the perimeter walls of the tower were strongly damaged. In 1963 Flaminia Goretti de Flamini and George A. Specht, parents of the current owner Martha Specht Corsi, decided to dedicate themselves wholeheartedly for many years to the complete restoration of this important monument and make it their home.
Hospitality in Tuscany
Price for rental of the home in the Castle: 3000 / 3400 € (weekly price)
For the 375 / 400 € Guard Tower (weekly price)
Minimum stay 4 nights: 2000-2500 €
We are on the border of a National Park, the “Parco Nazionale delle Foreste Casentinesi”, which offers lovely excursions and is well tracked for great hiking.
Possibility of guided tours in the surroundings with authorized guides.
We are part of the "Ecomuseo del Casentino". The museum is open on Sundays and national holidays from May to October. Hours: 10 a.m– 12 noon and 16-19 p.m. Entrance fee: voluntary contribution.
Places of interest nearby
In Stia, only a mile away from the Castle, visit a fascinating museum on the history of local wool trade, the Museo dell’Arte della Lana. The main square is Piazza Tanucci, completely surrounded by arcades with the important Romanesque church of Santa Maria Assunta. In the summer the river Arno, which flows by Stia, offers swimming in clean though cold water at the Canto alla Rana Park.
The fifteenth-century sanctuary of Santa Maria delle Grazie with its beautiful Della Robbia.
Il Castle of the Romanian, quoted by Dante in the Divine Comedy and the beautiful Pieve di San Pietro in Romena, an extraordinary example of Romanesque church.
The underlying village of Pratovecchio, whose ancient part is almost entirely covered by arcades and houses two important monasteries.
Continuing towards Arezzo the characteristic medieval village of Poppi with the Castle Guidi which houses an important library and the Badia di San Fedele.
From the ancient town of Bibbiena, with Renaissance palaces and fascinating eighteenth century buildings, you can reach the Sanctuary of La Verna, one of the most important sites of devotion connected to the life of Saint Francis of Assisi.
Camaldoli is a centuries old convent and hermitage, surrounded by ancient forests.
This is only a small part of what you can see in Casentino.
The beautiful and little known city of Arezzo, just an hour from Porciano, is a destination of great interest. Do not miss the cycle of frescoes by Piero della Francesca that depicts “The Legend of the True Cross” in the Church of San Francesco.
An important outdoor antique market is held in the city center every first weekend of the month.
Stia and Arezzo are connected with a local train if you wish to leave the car home.
Florence is easily reached in about 80 minutes by car via the pass known as Passo della Consuma.